Kyle Phillips had a big game last night for the Jets

I always felt like he was more talented than he was able to show at Tennessee in his first 3 seasons. It felt like last season that he started to shine significantly more. One can only wonder what four years under that staff would have meant for his development. He had as many total tackles (55), TFL (7.5), and sacks (4) in his SR season as he had in his entire first three seasons combined.

I always felt like he was more talented than he was able to show at Tennessee in his first 3 seasons. It felt like last season that he started to shine significantly more. One can only wonder what four years under that staff would have meant for his development. He had as many total tackles (55), TFL (7.5), and sacks (4) in his SR season as he had in his entire first three seasons combined.

Pretty much the caption on every player from the entire Butch Jones era at UT.

Important to remember most guys playing in the 4th preseason game aren’t going to make an NFL roster. Sounds like Phillips had the talent but wasn’t properly pushed by the staff to get better when he was here

Reactions: McDad
I remember there were reports from early practices that he was running down receivers from behind, from behind the line of scrimmage.

His talent and skill set was clearly misused by both Butch and Pruitt.

Reactions: Roustabout
Important to remember most guys playing in the 4th preseason game aren’t going to make an NFL roster. Sounds like Phillips had the talent but wasn’t properly pushed by the staff to get better when he was here
A small number of those guys will impress enough to be claimed off waivers by another team. Hope KP is one of those guys.

I remember there were reports from early practices that he was running down receivers from behind, from behind the line of scrimmage.

He had his most productive year with Pruitt....
And it was the only year he had him.

True, but he could make the practice squad or be claimed by another team. That's where Bray has been for years.

Reactions: 08Vol and jwptc
sacking the QB is not the primary purpose of 3-4 DE.

And fact is Kyle is tweener for Pruitt's defense. Might have been better suited at Kongbo's OLB position. But that's over the long haul. And Pruitt had neither the time nor the depth with down lineman to experiment or make the best of Kyle's ability. So Kyle put his fingers in the dirt and performed admirably given the circumstances. Another casualty to the chaos of the recent years.

sacking the QB is not the primary purpose of 3-4 DE.
You made my point for me. He wasnt utilized well by Pruitt.

I don’t understand why you guys constantly defend Kiffin, then Dooley, then Butch, then Pruitt, only to turn on them when they’re gone. The writing has been only the wall early on for each of these guys. No one else wanted these guys when they were hired, yet a huge portion of our fan base thinks they’re the football messiah when we hire them, out of desperation, nonetheless. Pruitt might be good one day but he is clearly learning on the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol

He flashed in his one year under Pruitt. What were your expectations after a few months. Lyle is a career killer.

VN Store

Back