‘23 KY CB Cristian Conyer (Tennessee commit)

BH said last night they aren't giving recruits deals , only current players, due to them being scared of the toothless NCAA
Did you add the last part? Officially, we can’t give NIL deals to any recruits bc only a couple states allow high school kids to get them… we can, however, show them what we have available.

Did you add the last part? Officially, we can’t give NIL deals to any recruits bc only a couple states allow high school kids to get them… we can, however, show them what we have available.
This is exactly what Hubbs meant…the university can’t tell a business what they can and can’t do

i think it should be noted, that programs like UGA, OSU and even UK, have been forced to react to what TN already had up and running. and they, not us, were the ones in a position to have to out bid us, not the other way around. and there's nothing wrong with not getting in to bidding wars over a prospect. especially if he's not THE guy you absolutely have to have.

CC is on his OV here this coming weekend. so no need in worrying.

as for Tate and Allen, both wanted to go their respective schools from the beginning. they were both forutnate that their "dream schools" thought enough of them to pony up and get in the same ball park as us.

so what that tells me is we are simply behind in the relationship game, and that will improve over time.

we're gonna be fine.

i think it should be noted, that programs like UGA, OSU and even UK, have been forced to react to what TN already had up and running. and they, not us, were the ones in a position to have to out bid us, not the other way around. and there's nothing wrong with not getting in to bidding wars over a prospect. especially if he's not THE guy you absolutely have to have.

as for Tate and Allen, both wanted to go their respective schools from the beginning. they were both forutnate that their "dream schools" thought enough of them to pony up and get in the same ball park as us.

so what that tells me is we are simply behind in the relationship game, and that will improve over time.

we're gonna be fine.
Continue speaking rational, logical words. It's a breath of fresh air today.

Allen is different though bc it was considered a huge stretch that we would get him and that relied on Georgia not wanting him. It’s not time to freak out until after signing day ends.
It was considered a stretch in the last month, sure. Prior to that, a large portion of our fanbase was counting him as a commitment, already. Kinda like Tate and Conyer. Allen wasn't always considered to be a shoe-in to the Dawgs. As soon as they turned up the interest, he melted in their hands.

It was considered a stretch in the last month, sure. Prior to that, a large portion of our fanbase was counting him as a commitment, already. Kinda like Tate and Conyer. Allen wasn't always considered to be a shoe-in to the Dawgs. As soon as they turned up the interest, he melted in their hands.
Allen was said from the beginning to be a uga lean if they wanted him…

Reactions: VFLBerg

we're gonna be fine.
Ultimately you can't do much about a kid's favorite team growing up. UGA's staff is not incompetent... which is to say they can more or less pick and choose from a large pool of 4/5* players in Georgia. So like you said, get in the game and make them work for it. It may give you a win somewhere else.

When a program is having to defend its "homers" then they're on the defensive. They're the ones having to ante up.

Great post and thoughts Jake.

Need to be very happy we have this visit now and UK didn't get final shot.

We remind him why he had us first and get our NIL proposal in the same arena as what UK just put in front of him and he will commit to us.

If we decide UK is promising too much money and don't think we need to match we may not get him...those decisions are for others.

I think though how we have prioritized him, we will make it up and land him.

Anyone know if Herring is coming in this weekend to hang with Conyer?

Anyone that thought Allen was coming here was looking at it through orange shaded glasses…. We had a chance but that’s all it was.

I think she makes knee jerk decisions, ie reigning in NIL. Her handling of the NCAA investigation was a complete crap show. And, also think she is political. More of a puppet than an actual leader.

You all asked, that is my impression.
Nobody knows if she has reigned in spyre…. People are making knee jerk reactions based off some generic statements. I didn’t agree with her handling of the ncaa investigation but so far that has turned out very well….She seems to have hired the right people and to be staying out of the way to me.

Allen was said from the beginning to be a uga lean if they wanted him…

Yep. That's why I don't understand all the hand-wringing about him. He's an in-state (GA) kid that the very successful state school finally started taking seriously, so no surprise there. Not a knock on our staff, IMO.

Anyone thought about the possibility that NIL may actually be a disadvantage? The Gumps and UGAs of the world that have mastered the art of illegal, under the table payments have probably not slowed down at all on that front just because of NIL. On the flip side I suspect UT has significantly slowed down because of the investigation. If a recruit can get just as much money under the table, without signing some legally binding contract to do stuff and tie them to a school for 3 years then why wouldn't they go that route? Only advantage would be Spyre having more money to hand out, but even that may not be true if not many fans are actually contributing. Just a thought. NIL still puts us in a better position than we were, but it may not be the advantage that everyone thinks it is. It's just a more legal way of doing it.

Anyone that thought Allen was coming here was looking at it through orange shaded glasses…. We had a chance but that’s all it was.
AP stated twice this spring that Tennessee led. Not saying he's gospel, obviously, but it wasn't outside the realm of possibility to believe given AP's confidence and Allen's comments and visits.

Correct. Nico is in California so he can get a deal now.

No one expected to get him if Georgia would take his commitment. That’s been out there for a while. Only the most uninformed or unrealistic thought we were going to get him if Georgia would accept his commitment.
Yeah, I get that. Just an example of a guy who we were in a good spot with at one point. I'm not in full-blown panic mode, but it's easy to see why someone may believe that recruiting seemed a little rosier two months ago. That was my point.

BH said last night they aren't giving recruits deals , only current players, due to them being scared of the toothless NCAA

I don't believe that to be true, in the sense that while yes only recruits in CA (e.g., Nico) and a few other states can *sign* NIL deals before the sign/enroll with a school, that absolutely does NOT mean that Spyre can't discuss NIL opportunities with recruits. They absolutely are still doing that according to someone very close to the situation.

Well you can bet the bottom dollar that Bama, Georgia’s under the table program will continue with no worries from Sankey or the NCAA as it exist today. Totally protected. But we can’t worry about that. Good grief what deterrent is the NCAA they could get the goods on Bama tomorrow and it would take them forever to come to a conclusion, they are a complete joke. It’s sad. Heck, they still haven’t gave Tennessee a ruling. The NCAA isn’t moving any faster now, all this talk about changing and streamlining the rule book and being more efficient and transparent seems to just be a ruse. I really wish the NCAA was completely fair and impartial but they are not. The give different rulings to similar cases, there is never a timetable on anything. If it takes you longer than a freaking year to give a ruling then you you shouldn’t be handling things. They punish schools many times for things in reality they could not control and the people that did them go to other places unpunished. They leave everybody in the dark, no transparency at all. Then they punish the school years later. The NCAA has major problems. But they only talk about changing, common sense is in short supply.

Reactions: 67Vol
This is exactly what Hubbs meant…the university can’t tell a business what they can and can’t do
But, I believe they are able to answer questions when they arise. They can also have memos which can be obtained by the Freedom of Information law.

People need to calm down. If you thought that after one season we would win more battles head to head in recruiting against the big 4 (Bama, UGA, OSU, and Clemson) then you were being delusional. It's a big step to win a few of them, and finish second in several others. We have secured the best in-state prospect, and arguably the best QB in the nation already. We are still in it for a few other top 100 players. We will have a nice class with some potential program changers. Our coaches have also shown the ability to develop players. That's something we haven't seen around here in a long time. The culture has also done a 180 degree turn and the kids want to work hard and play hard for this staff. It sucks not competing for championships, I know, but that was never going to happen overnight. Barnes and Vitello didn't win SEC titles immediately. I also know asking Vol fans to have any amount of patience (with a new staff) is pointless as well. The needle is moving in the right direction, and it's happening faster than what we REALISTICALLY thought one year ago.

VN Store

Back