Knoxville radio

Josh ward is a pro. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an ESPN/Fox Sports type job in the future (if that’s what he wanted). Swain is good, but sometimes these former players come off as know-it-alls instead of journalists (Ainge big time). I really like John Wilkerson. Wish he had Kesling’s job.
Wilkerson is solid and unfortunately probably too old to be the Voice of The Vols. Josh Ward will become the Knoxville leader of the radio over the next few decades. Not a fan of any of the player personalities on the radio for reasons stated but mainly Ainges sophomoric antics.

Wilkerson is solid and unfortunately probably too old to be the Voice of The Vols. Josh Ward will become the Knoxville leader of the radio over the next few decades. Not a fan of any of the player personalities on the radio for reasons stated but mainly Ainges sophomoric antics.
My only issue with Wilkerson is that he yells everything; even casual conversations. Reminds me of the character Will Ferrell used to do on SNL that couldn’t control the volume of his voice.

Reactions: TartanTurff
Voluntary reaction is by far the best post game show for football and basketball if you are a passionate fan. I was stuck listening to the Vol network for postgame coverage during most of BB season last year due to work hours and there are more commercials than actual post game talk. I wasn't allowed to have my phone to listen to FSK app and Voluntary Reaction. The Vol Network was almost robotic. VR goes on for as long as the fans want. Some football ones have gone on for 4 hours. And it's great because it's real fans, a high percentage who have had more than a few pops and, let's just say, make sure you don't have young kids around as it is uncensored.

Voluntary reaction is the equivalent of hanging out with your buds after a game, eating the rest of the wings, pizza and nachos that are left, and realizing you're down to two beers for the five of you so someone decides the night is young and it's time to make a beer run so you can either bask in the glory of the win, or wallow in your disappointment for a few hours.

FSK is gaining traction within the UT athletic department as early on not a single coach would come on the air. Now, slowly, more and more coaches over the years have started to do spots here and there. Not nearly as often as State Run, but it's happening.

Nashville sports talk is horrible all they talk about is the titans show after show after show all day long.the vols get very little talk time that's why I listen to 99.1 online all the time

They have Matthews on 1 hour a week to talk CFB & Slay talks Tennessee some. Other than that, it’s nothing but Titans, Henry, Tanneyhills cap hit, Lewan getting cut yada yada yada. I rarely even think of Nashville sports talk anymore.

Reactions: Voltopia
I posted this in the basketball forum, but I'll say it here, too: IMHO, Russell Smith is a legit talent, great radio voice, smart guy, not abrasive, doesn't take himself too seriously, has a sense of humor. I'm surprised he hasn't been poached by a bigger organization that can pay him better. Jon Reed is solid, and him and Cody McClure are an entertaining duo, although they get wayyyyyyy off topic sometimes, but usually fun. The rest of the FanRun crew: yikes. I don't know anything about the background on FanRun, but it seems to me that Nate Hodges is just some dude with some money who decided he wanted to own a radio station despite not having any applicable skills, especially as a broadcaster himself.

My only issue with Wilkerson is that he yells everything; even casual conversations. Reminds me of the character Will Ferrell used to do on SNL that couldn’t control the volume of his voice.

and this 'we shore do appreciate it' after EVERY call is a bit annoying.

Every Animal show needs to have a limit on number of calls from individuals on a daily or weekly basis. Don't care what side of the rational fence they are on. When a captive in the car I dread the daily callers cause I know they are coming. Reflexive eyerolls while driving can be dangerous.

Every Animal show needs to have a limit on number of calls from individuals on a daily or weekly basis. Don't care what side of the rational fence they are on. When a captive in the car I dread the daily callers cause I know they are coming. Reflexive eyerolls while driving can be dangerous.
“Hey, good afternoon guys…”

They have Matthews on 1 hour a week to talk CFB & Slay talks Tennessee some. Other than that, it’s nothing but Titans, Henry, Tanneyhills cap hit, Lewan getting cut yada yada yada. I rarely even think of Nashville sports talk anymore.
I didn't know Nashville still had a sports show on radio. From what I rear/read, they still don't.

The talking heads should be allowed to immediately ditch a caller that starts “how you doing?” A waste of everyone’s time

In the mid/late 80s, there was a guy on a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio that you could pick on the radio if you were driving across Tennessee on a Sunday night. At the first of the show, he would announce that he was fine and doing great so don't ask me again. Any caller that asked was blown up (recorded explosion) and dropped.

I know a lot of you have praised Josh Ward, but my opinion of him was cemented when listening last fall and Swain and him were listing their top college football team helmets and his top choice was…….

Alabama 🤮

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Everybody brags on the guy but he is the most passive aggressive guy I’ve ever heard when someone says something he doesn’t like.

Reactions: GrayWaterCanine
Those are about the only call they get except when they have their give-away crap. The same callers are on those portions of the shows every day.

knoxville radio lost their most talented host when will west decided to move on. i didnt realize how much he carried josh ward and the afternoon show when they were together until he was moved to mornings. worst thing they did was put josh and heather together, should have just called it what it was..."how can we make a conversation about UT Football transition into a way to talk about our kids" the one who disappoints me most is erik ainge. he just comes across as a guy who thinks he is cool but just acts like a jack-a. now, to be fair, i consider myself a personal friend of basilio, so you can take what i say for what its worth, but like him or not, tony is the one host in knoxville who cares the most about his listeners. i have little doubt that if tony knew a listener had a problem, and he could help, he would do anything he could to help them. and tony is the one who will let people have their say, more than others, even when he does not agree with them. professor hyamms will just try to brow beat you and try to act like he is so much smarter than you. he is pretty smart when it comes to golf and tennis, and has a lot of book knowledge, but when you move much past that he is a day or two behind the rest of the area when it comes to what is moving the needle. john wilkerson is the backbone of that show and i think that show when jimmy is not there

knoxville radio lost their most talented host when will west decided to move on. i didnt realize how much he carried josh ward and the afternoon show when they were together until he was moved to mornings. worst thing they did was put josh and heather together, should have just called it what it was..."how can we make a conversation about UT Football transition into a way to talk about our kids" the one who disappoints me most is erik ainge. he just comes across as a guy who thinks he is cool but just acts like a jack-a. now, to be fair, i consider myself a personal friend of basilio, so you can take what i say for what its worth, but like him or not, tony is the one host in knoxville who cares the most about his listeners. i have little doubt that if tony knew a listener had a problem, and he could help, he would do anything he could to help them. and tony is the one who will let people have their say, more than others, even when he does not agree with them. professor hyamms will just try to brow beat you and try to act like he is so much smarter than you. he is pretty smart when it comes to golf and tennis, and has a lot of book knowledge, but when you move much past that he is a day or two behind the rest of the area when it comes to what is moving the needle. john wilkerson is the backbone of that show and i think that show when jimmy is not there

I dont know either of them personally but Ainge is much more listenable than Basillo IMO. And his is typically a take from experience. The last rime i listened to TB (admittedly a decade or more ago) he seemed to be more of a pot stirrer/rumor mongerer whose show was a perfect fit for the folks who loved negativity.

Maybe its better now but Ainge's show is the only one i really enjoy.

Reactions: Backwards K
Those are about the only call they get except when they have their give-away crap. The same callers are on those portions of the shows every day.
You are correct. The guys they have on now mostly talk to themselves. Hardly anyone calls in except the same guys who play their stupid games.

I dont know either of them personally but Ainge is much more listenable than Basillo IMO. And his is typically a take from experience. The last rime i listened to TB (admittedly a decade or more ago) he seemed to be more of a pot stirrer/rumor mongerer whose show was a perfect fit for the folks who loved negativity.

Maybe its better now but Ainge's show is the only one i really enjoy.
Basilio has the best show in town

Basilio has the best show in town

As far as NET VALUE I think John and Jimmy's Animal is the most informative. Not a big Hyams fan personally, have gone on record for them needing to limit the REDUNDANT DAILY CALLERS and diversify, but if you fight thru that as a listener in a car, the daily news segments, the real time interviews with local coaches & players, Vol signees, the ref segments and a few national pundants like the guy from Houston and Mike Keith for the NFL are entertaining and informative offerings that no other show seems to match.

Jimmy does have a tendency to cover for coaches, refs, and players he likes, and John tends to tactfully skate around issues rather than establish a hard positions, but like I said I still think they are the best based on return for time investment if knowledge rather than fueling agendas is a driver for you. I guess I am too old to sign on to the Jim Rome, Stephen A. school of sports journalism emulatiors.

Will be watching with interest how that time slot is altered with Jimmy leaving the daily air.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
A++
Only thing you missed is that Tyler is unlistenable.

Reactions: Pappy
I'm seeing more Tyler hate on here than is deserved. He's doing a one-man show right now, which is very difficult. I get it that his delivery isn't for everyone, but the guy is a very hard worker, and his life is his show. Also, he knows more about baseball than any other media member in town.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
I'm seeing more Tyler hate on here than is deserved. He's doing a one-man show right now, which is very difficult. I get it that his delivery isn't for everyone, but the guy is a very hard worker, and his life is his show. Also, he knows more about baseball than any other media member in town.

He just tries too hard

VN Store

Back