Knoxville radio

I know their has been a million posts about Knoxville radio but fanrun is the worse. The early show should be called nonfan radio. The owner talks crap nonstop about Barnes and so do his minions. Drives me crazy. Barnes keeps us in the top ten year in year out but it’s still not good enough. Then you have terrible Tyler Ivens and Florida fan Logan ward on 990. It’s awful. We deserve better.

Tyler Ivens is, without a doubt the most annoying radio personality I’ve ever heard. Just constant humble brag, self promotion, and the occasional sports comment.

I usually go the podcast or YouTube route. Usually whatever YouTube suggests at this point is Vol related and relevant. Any shows that anyone has to suggest in particular?
Follow Volquest on youtube. Hubbs, Austin Price, Eric Cain, Rob Lewis, Grant Ramey, and the new guy Matt Ray are the best sourcey sources and closer to the program than anyone else imo (right more than wrong). Plus they don't get into all the touchy feely political gobble-dee goop you hear on other talk radio stations.

Eric Cain also does Locked on Vols and has some good guests from time to time. Its on Volquest sub or you can listen to it on all the podcast subs.

They churn out enough content during the week that I don't listen to anything else. They're also running a special $30 for the year if you want access to their secret message board. THey interact and answer fan questions on there a couple times a week.

Reactions: LadyVolette
You're the first I've seen that has something negative to see about Josh Ward. He's a humble guy, dry wit, doesn't seek to say dumb things to get the attention. He and Swain are great together, imo. They're very different and it plays well. I get why some lie Ainge, Ivens, etc can rub people the wrong way, but I'm surprised to see that Ward does.
I thought he was bland at first, but after giving him a fair shot, i started to get his humor. He’s super quick witted. It’s just really understated and makes for a good sounding board against Swain.

I thought he was bland at first, but after giving him a fair shot, i started to get his humor. He’s super quick witted. It’s just really understated and makes for a good sounding board against Swain.

I like Josh Ward on Ward Wednesdays on the Eric Cain podcasts on You Tube.

Don’t know what you’re talking about. Fanrun is epic. They do go negative at times but that’s part of listening to people who are fans of the program. And if you think the two people at Fox not being UT fans is bad wait until you see how many at WNML are not only fans of other schools but HATE Tennessee. State-run radio is no more than bs press releases and talking points from the UT administration. Just business for them all.

If you’re suggesting we need another sports talk station then at that point I would say, “hell yeah, let’s saturate the market.” Best product in the end wins.

I know their has been a million posts about Knoxville radio but fanrun is the worse. The early show should be called nonfan radio. The owner talks crap nonstop about Barnes and so do his minions. Drives me crazy. Barnes keeps us in the top ten year in year out but it’s still not good enough. Then you have terrible Tyler Ivens and Florida fan Logan ward on 990. It’s awful. We deserve better.
Ivens is ok but I didn’t realize what Will West brought to the show. Logan Ward should just be the producer and have his mic muted.
Swain and Ward are ok but Josh Ward gets annoying at times.
John and Jimmy are respectable...I really like John Wilkerson, he’s a good dude.
Fan run is pure garbage until the Drive with Russ and Bear, that’s my favorite show.
They are almost like 2 normal, random guys who just talk sports and act the fool sometimes.

He's not for everyone but give Tony Basilio a listen and you will realize very quickly he is super entertaining and a real UT fan with interesting guests.
I used to love Basilio and the fabulous sports babe, back in the day.
That must’ve been like 20-25 years ago.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Everything on the sports animal is sunshine pumping crap. I would rather listen to Fox Sports Knoxville any day, regardless of any negative spin. At least they’re actually allowed to be objective and not lose their job for it like they would on the sports animal.

Reactions: jdogvol
In the market the size of Nashville, the corporate people have done heavy research on listenership and the content is tied to that, for better or for worse. If a corporate consultant looking at numbers says you have to spend the majority of your time talking about the Titans, then that’s what the hosts have to do. Based on their ratings, it seems like it’s working. I’m in Nashville with my job two or three days a month now, and I would certainly prefer more of it, but what they do talk is still better than the sports talk I get in Atlanta, which is all pro sports and very little college.
Post pandemic, 104.5’s strategy was to spread everyone that ever had anything to do with the 3HL across all of their shows, then have them come up with individual catch phrases and intro music.

These guys are sports guys, not radio guys. They don't understand the timing, show prep or the type of programming that Knoxville desires.

Too many inside jokes amongst the on-air guys that NO ONE cares about.

Too much discussion of the NBA, which very few people care about.

Plus, the demographics for sports radio are older than the subjects they are addressing on air.

If they wanted to put a dent in WNML, they would put Clay and Buck on in midday and get rid of that schlock that is currently on there. I like the PM drive guys, but there's to much inside baseball going on.

Plus, they don't give out the dial position or slogan often enough to get credit in the Nielsen Audio diaries. They never show up in the ratings because of this.

They have an opportunity, but rather compete, they'd rather have their inside frat house jokes.

Mid to late 30s... the dude that calls himself "bear" is probably mid 50s. But that's really a non sequitur.

It's the lack of professionalism and a lack of attempts to recycle the audience among all dayparts that is the problem.

New listeners don't get or understand the inside jokes and insults.

WKGN has never, ever met minimum reporting standards to show up in Nielsen Audio. ratings.. and that is why making significant money to re-invest in the product isn't in the cards with their status quo.

Reactions: DublinVol33
Nashville sports talk is horrible all they talk about is the titans show after show after show all day long.the vols get very little talk time that's why I listen to 99.1 online all the time
💯… I am sick of the non stop Titans talk. No one gives a crap about roster moves after this perpetually mediocre to bad franchise just lost 7 in a row to blow the playoffs. I was done with Titans when they got rid of AJ Brown.. ya know.. their best player

These guys are sports guys, not radio guys. They don't understand the timing, show prep or the type of programming that Knoxville desires.

Too many inside jokes amongst the on-air guys that NO ONE cares about.

Too much discussion of the NBA, which very few people care about.

Plus, the demographics for sports radio are older than the subjects they are addressing on air.

If they wanted to put a dent in WNML, they would put Clay and Buck on in midday and get rid of that schlock that is currently on there. I like the PM drive guys, but there's to much inside baseball going on.

Plus, they don't give out the dial position or slogan often enough to get credit in the Nielsen Audio diaries. They never show up in the ratings because of this.

They have an opportunity, but rather compete, they'd rather have their inside frat house jokes.

Clay and Buck isn't a sports show, it's a politics show that has a 40+ target demo so I don't know what putting them on a younger-leaning sports station would possibly accomplish. Fan Run may not be the best product that exists, but putting a hard right-wing political show on isn't going to improve it. Especially not in place of Jon Reed, which is clearly their strongest show.

💯… I am sick of the non stop Titans talk. No one gives a crap about roster moves after this perpetually mediocre to bad franchise just lost 7 in a row to blow the playoffs. I was done with Titans when they got rid of AJ Brown.. ya know.. their best player
I was done with them when they keep on drafting incompetent QB's. Sometimes you have to wonder if they are purposely drafting bad QBs and making head scratching trades on purpose?

I think them being here as a NFL representative is dividing fan loyalties and could be something that is holding the Vols back from being able to win another NC. I know the rich in this state flocks to the NFL like a bunch of dodo 🦤 🦤.

Last edited:
Clay and Buck isn't a sports show, it's a politics show that has a 40+ target demo so I don't know what putting them on a younger-leaning sports station would possibly accomplish. Fan Run may not be the best product that exists, but putting a hard right-wing political show on isn't going to improve it. Especially not in place of Jon Reed, which is clearly their strongest show.
I hope Jon Reed’s show is not their best. It can be funny at times but man it’s really hard to listen to. Jon Reed acts like a third grader and argues every little thing that comes out of his cohost mouth. It doesn’t matter who it is. I have two kids that do the same thing everyday when they’re together. It’s a tough listen. IMO, Russell and Bear are head and shoulders better than any show notfan run has.

VN Store

Back