Knoxville radio

All of the transplants make it a tough market to talk college sports in. Think of it like this, everybody that listens to sports talk in Nashville has some relationship with the Titans. It’s either their favorite team, or they don’t like them because they were a fan of another team before the Titans moved in. Either way, they are probably going to listen to the Titans discussion because it has a direct impact on their sports fandom. They might watch predators hockey, they might not, and they will probably tune out if there is too much discussion of hockey.

But with college sports, if they are devoting more than one segment to talking Tennessee sports, anybody who is a fan of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Florida, wherever the long list of transplants has fit into the city, they will tune out because they don’t care about the back up wide receiver for the Vols at all. And that’s the battle they fight, serving the big chunk of their audience that cheers for the University of Tennessee, without chasing off the even larger portion of their audience that does not.
I know you are right 😂 it just stinks because a lot of us who are actually from here want them to talk about the Vols more 😂 markets be darned, but I understand it’s a business… they typically do some nice coverage of the Vols on Gameday Saturdays in the fall though, with a lot of interviews etc, I will give them that

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
I know their has been a million posts about Knoxville radio but fanrun is the worse. The early show should be called nonfan radio. The owner talks crap nonstop about Barnes and so do his minions. Drives me crazy. Barnes keeps us in the top ten year in year out but it’s still not good enough. Then you have terrible Tyler Ivens and Florida fan Logan ward on 990. It’s awful. We deserve better.
He's not for everyone but give Tony Basilio a listen and you will realize very quickly he is super entertaining and a real UT fan with interesting guests.

I know you are right 😂 it just stinks because a lot of us who are actually from here want them to talk about the Vols more 😂 markets be darned, but I understand it’s a business… they typically do some nice coverage of the Vols on Gameday Saturdays in the fall though, with a lot of interviews etc, I will give them that
Call in to let them know you are sick of listening to non-stop blather about a dead end NFL franchise and you much rather hear more Vol and SEC talk. If more people call in to complain, maybe the mediots will get the message.

Whether the local media and Nashville government likes it or not, the Vols are back on top!

Call and let them know you are sick of listening to non-stop blather about a dead end NFL franchise and you much rather hear more Vol and SEC talk. If more people call in to complain, maybe the mediots will get the message.
I’m normally not a Karen and just roll with it, whatever ‘it’ is, but you may have a point lol

Reactions: loservol
I’m normally not a Karen and just roll with it, whatever ‘it’ is, but you may have a point lol

Basilio show is great. He’s just a fan like we are and just has opinions. He knows he’s not an authority on sports. But he opens up conversation and his callers are just regular people and fans and it’s very entertaining and is not beholden to the corporate world where they have to censor what they say to keep from upsetting the university powers that be. State run radio will not report on things that aren’t verified or won’t admit it if it is true if it sheds a poor light on the university

You’ll get the truth about some things on Basilio long before you will state run radio. Yeah sometimes you get false information but lots of times you get the scoop in the truth. Sports is just entertainment and so is his show. Relax and give it a listen Ava enjoy the ride!

Basilio show is great. He’s just a fan like we are and just has opinions. He knows he’s not an authority on sports. But he opens up conversation and his callers are just regular people and fans and it’s very entertaining and is not beholden to the corporate world where they have to censor what they say to keep from upsetting the university powers that be. State run radio will not report on things that aren’t verified or won’t admit it if it is true if it sheds a poor light on the university

You’ll get the truth about some things on Basilio long before you will state run radio. Yeah sometimes you get false information but lots of times you get the scoop in the truth. Sports is just entertainment and so is his show. Relax and give it a listen Ava enjoy the ride!
I listened to him (Basillio) in the 90s when I was in Knoxville, esp around 98, I know some people are annoyed by him, but I didn’t mind him, he was entertaining and definitely talked about the Vols 😂

Josh ward is a pro. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an ESPN/Fox Sports type job in the future (if that’s what he wanted). Swain is good, but sometimes these former players come off as know-it-alls instead of journalists (Ainge big time). I really like John Wilkerson. Wish he had Kesling’s job.
Agree, Kesling is terrible!!!

Listen to LeBatard. Get over the politics shat. I agree it's annoying. But his show is by far the most interesting show on the radio
LeBatard is so woke that he couldn’t even get along with the brass at espn. Stugotz made him.

Basilio is the show. Matt Dixon is great along with Beano and their other guests including John Adams. Basilio bleeds orange and he does alot of great stuff within the community.

Agree. His 5th Quarter fan reaction and Basketball Overtime shows after the games are great.

Yeah this is the morning show guy I think? It’s pretty bad. Basilio is the worst I’ve ever listened to though. Sounds like he’s in his basement.
https://twitter.com/VolRumorMill?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
He is in his basement. I’ve been listening a long time. He’s actually quite good for how he’s doing his thing. He has his thing, his listeners love it. That’s why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. Remember at the end of the day, this is an actual career for these folks. I guess we could show up at everyone’s job and offer our critique.

I know there has been a million posts about Knoxville radio but fanrun is the worse. The early show should be called nonfan radio. The owner talks crap nonstop about Barnes and so do his minions. Drives me crazy. Barnes keeps us in the top ten year in year out but it’s still not good enough. Then you have terrible Tyler Ivens and Florida fan Logan ward on 990. It’s awful. We deserve better.
I don’t think it’s easy to get in front of a mic everyday and keep everyone happy. That said Ivens is not my cup of tea. Just seems to be trying too hard.

He is in his basement. I’ve been listening a long time. He’s actually quite good for how he’s doing his thing. He has his thing, his listeners love it. That’s why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. Remember at the end of the day, this is an actual career for these folks. I guess we could show up at everyone’s job and offer our critique.
I re-read my comment and realized how it may have come across. Didn't mean any disrespect, just literally sounded like he was in his basement when I listened, so it made the sound quality unbearable and other times the audio just completely cut out. I hope he's able to upgrade that and maybe it's improved since I listened.

Josh award would fit in well with ESPN/Disney. When can he go?

You're the first I've seen that has something negative to see about Josh Ward. He's a humble guy, dry wit, doesn't seek to say dumb things to get the attention. He and Swain are great together, imo. They're very different and it plays well. I get why some lie Ainge, Ivens, etc can rub people the wrong way, but I'm surprised to see that Ward does.

Nashville sports talk is horrible all they talk about is the titans show after show after show all day long.the vols get very little talk time that's why I listen to 99.1 online all the time
Clay Travis explained this. NFL is king on sports talk radio and everything else is a distant second. He said he tracked his own audience and every time he strayed to talk about NBA or NHL audience drops out. The problem is Titans season is over now, so they're talking about their kids and weekend gambling and nonsense to fill the air time.

Reactions: lewis co vol
Morning tune into 3 and out on Fox Sports Radio.....those guys are clowns and fun to listen to. Basilio for the lunch hour and he is the best in town. For the ride home after work listen to The Drive and listen to Russell and the Bear almost cause you to get into an accident from laughing!

You're the first I've seen that has something negative to see about Josh Ward. He's a humble guy, dry wit, doesn't seek to say dumb things to get the attention. He and Swain are great together, imo. They're very different and it plays well. I get why some lie Ainge, Ivens, etc can rub people the wrong way, but I'm surprised to see that Ward does.
Josh should be the one to replace Jimmy. He’s solid all the way around. Does his homework. .

VN Store

Back