Knoxville Golf and Country Clubs

I always liked River Islands. Well kept and semi-challenging. Centennial in Oak Ridge is about the same, but that place has my number.

Willow Creek also looks nice. Havent played it on over a decade, but I drove by it daily when I lived there up until last year.

Centennial is very nice, some small fairways and greens in places. Wide open in others. Plenty tough. Willow Creek is always in decent shape.

Holston #1 for sure. If I lived in Knoxville I would join in a second

Fox Den #2. Different style course and the membership is different too, so go check them out and see what's more your style. Would definitely consider if you're on the west side of town.

Cherokee is the epitome of a classic club course. Its fine but nothing special. I'd recommend if you're interested in social/networking - which you said you're not.

Not a big fan of Gettysvue. Nothing special about it in any respect.

Holston #1 for sure. If I lived in Knoxville I would join in a second

Fox Den #2. Different style course and the membership is different too, so go check them out and see what's more your style. Would definitely consider if you're on the west side of town.

Cherokee is the epitome of a classic club course. Its fine but nothing special. I'd recommend if you're interested in social/networking - which you said you're not.

Not a big fan of Gettysvue. Nothing special about it in any respect.
I have always liked Holston since the first time I played it 50 years ago this Summer. Didn't someone buy it recently, and are going to put a bunch of money into it?

I have always liked Holston since the first time I played it 50 years ago this Summer. Didn't someone buy it recently, and are going to put a bunch of money into it?

Not sure about that. Been a couple years since I've been there.

I guess I should preface my response that my opinions are a few years out of date aside from just recent second hand feedback

Last edited:

Yeah, McConnell Golf bought the property last year. They manage courses across the South, like Country Club of Asheville, Providence Golf Club, Sedgefield, Grand Dunes, and others. And if you're a member at one club you get access to all McConnell golf properties. At Holston, I know they have already added a fitness center and are currently renovating the club house, which includes opening a new dining room, patio overlooking 18th/9th, and pro shop. I went for a tour and played the course. It is amazing. I left with a huge smile on my face. They were definitely trying to sell me on the vision and improvements coming in the future, but honestly the course sold me on its own. It was so relaxing, peaceful, and a very fun round . That is truly how golf is meant to be.

Gettysvue has amazing incentives and is easily the most affordable, but I do not know if I would enjoy playing that course all the time. I got to play it as well and struggled. It is a very tight, narrow course that requires some accurate tee shots. Plus if you hit any of the $500k+ homes lining the fairways you're liable for the damage. That just gives me an uneasy feeling. I'm sure it would get better with familiarity, but I could see myself playing Holston every day and even multiple times a day.

Not sure about that. Been a couple years since I've been there.

I guess I should preface my response that my opinions are a few years out of date aside from just recent second hand feedback

You were spot on with your assessments. Since my original post, I have been able to tour Fox Den, Gettysvue, Holston Hills, and Cherokee. I was not interested in Fox Den or Cherokee, but played Holston and Gettysvue.

Golfers first style country club with reasonable access - Holston Hills. Modified Donald Ross courses are hard to beat. If I was joining that would be the one.

Public - River Islands. They've really turned it around condition wise in the last couple of years.

Like 1972, my age of 63 is catching up a bit with me. My answer to recovering some distance was Ping G with tour shafts. I also still play the regular tees.

My choices on the east side of Knox would be in order...River Island,Sevierville Highland,Patroit Hills,Gatlinburg CC,Ruggles Ferry,Dandridge White-Blue,Millstone,Clinchview....JMO

Holston Hills would be a great choice and I know the pro there. Great guy. Great golf course too. Played in the State Four Ball there a few years ago.

Holston Hills would be a great choice and I know the pro there. Great guy. Great golf course too. Played in the State Four Ball there a few years ago.
I played golf with the pro Chris Dibble, several times when he was a kid growing up at Link Hills in Greeneville. His dad was the pro there for years, and later the golf coach at Tusculum College until he recently retired.

I played golf with the pro Chris Dibble, several times when he was a kid growing up at Link Hills in Greeneville. His dad was the pro there for years, and later the golf coach at Tusculum College until he recently retired.

Oh I misspoke. It was the old assistant pro, Braxton Hunter, that I know. He is now the golf instructor at Willow Creek. But I have met Chris too.

I am looking at joining a private golf club in Knoxville, particularly Fox Den, Gettsyvue, Holston Hills, or Cherokee. I'm tired of driving 45 minutes to find a nice course or playing an extremely busy local public course.

I'd like to find a country club that kept its golf course in excellent shape for most of the year. I'm not as worried about the social aspects of the club. I'd also like it to be fairly open on the weekends and not bombarded by members. I guess my main desire is to play a round of golf in seclusion.

I haven't had a chance to play any of them and I do not know anybody who is a member or has played them. I figured I'd post on here to see if anybody was a member at any of the above courses or could offer some advice. I've already checked the initiation fees and monthly dues. Thanks!
Did you end up joining anywhere?

Holston Hills is one of the top 2 or 3 courses in Tennessee.
It takes you back in time.

Join if possible. $$$$$$$$$

I am looking at joining a private golf club in Knoxville, particularly Fox Den, Gettsyvue, Holston Hills, or Cherokee. I'm tired of driving 45 minutes to find a nice course or playing an extremely busy local public course.

I'd like to find a country club that kept its golf course in excellent shape for most of the year. I'm not as worried about the social aspects of the club. I'd also like it to be fairly open on the weekends and not bombarded by members. I guess my main desire is to play a round of golf in seclusion.

I haven't had a chance to play any of them and I do not know anybody who is a member or has played them. I figured I'd post on here to see if anybody was a member at any of the above courses or could offer some advice. I've already checked the initiation fees and monthly dues. Thanks!
If you can get an invite, then join Cherokee, but that's a tough invite regardless of the size of your bank account. Holston would be next then Fox Den

plus if you hit any of the $500k+ homes lining the fairways you're liable for the damage. That just gives me an uneasy feeling. I'm sure it would get better with familiarity...

You kid.

I have lived on golf courses and have never heard of this before. That's total BS. If you buy next to a street, and a loose stone crashes your window, do you get to sue the driver who just happened to unlodge that stone?

VN Store

Back