Knoxville Area Tex-Mex Restaurants (excluding Chuy's)?

In the Farragut area, Parrilla Cantina, Dos Agaves, and Don Gallo are all very good.
In farragut there used to be one called Azul Tequila right across from the high school, basically, but they moved to turkey creek and took on a diff name. I can’t remember their new name but it’s hands down my fav in Knox, and we eat a lot of Mexican at work haha

Reactions: SlingBlayde
In farragut there used to be one called Azul Tequila right across from the high school, basically, but they moved to turkey creek and took on a diff name. I can’t remember their new name but it’s hands down my fav in Knox, and we eat a lot of Mexican at work haha
I think that is Dos Agaves. It's where La Parrilla used to be (left end of the strip mall with Seasons). It's really good -- I had fajitas in a carved-out pineapple last trip.

Another suggestion: Don Gallo at Choto or Harden Valley.

Reactions: ACvol3
I think that is Dos Agaves. It's where La Parrilla used to be (left end of the strip mall with Seasons). It's really good -- I had fajitas in a carved-out pineapple last trip.

Another suggestion: Don Gallo at Choto or Harden Valley.
That’s it!

Didn’t even think of Chili’s. Not a fan of their Mexican offerings except for the chips and salsa. Like those a lot.

My girlfriend loves the corn. We actually ate there the other day and I got a brisket quesadilla that was pretty good.

From Texas. Have yet to eat anything approaching good Tex-Mex (or, for that matter, good Mexican Food) in the Knoxville area. That’s the one thing I miss about Texas. Every “good” place I’ve been told about has sucked.

Salsa here seems to be tomato paste. Queso seems to be what you’d get in nachos.

Chuys in Texas was considered below average at best (on par with Taco Bell).

No good mole here. Not enough spices in any of the food. I just make my own.
Hey maybe you should start your own restaurant. Could be a big success! I’d eat there if it’s on par with Texas.

Reactions: goldenvol
Hey maybe you should start your own restaurant. Could be a big success! I’d eat there if it’s on par with Texas.

I’m a teacher. I make my kids tacos at the end of each semester. I’m been considering starting a food trailer. I’ll be managed a restaurant in my past - so I’m familiar with food service. My students love my tacos.

Reactions: SlingBlayde
From Texas. Have yet to eat anything approaching good Tex-Mex (or, for that matter, good Mexican Food) in the Knoxville area. That’s the one thing I miss about Texas. Every “good” place I’ve been told about has sucked.

Salsa here seems to be tomato paste. Queso seems to be what you’d get in nachos.

Chuys in Texas was considered below average at best (on par with Taco Bell).

No good mole here. Not enough spices in any of the food. I just make my own.

What are the good places in Texas?

Had Chuy's yesterday, and out of the over 100 times I've been, maybe one bad plate of food. Nothing touches their Creamy Jalapeno though with their chips. I could eat Mexican or Tex-Mex everyday though. I do miss the Elvis Green Chile Fried Chicken, and it probably won't ever be back, which was my favorite dish there.

La Esperanza on Whittle Springs/Washington Pike.

It's not Tex-Mex, but their Hawaiian Torta will have you never wanting to go Tex-Mex ever again.

What are the good places in Texas?
Ninfa's. The original on Navigation Blvd in Houston is the best I've had. There are a lot of other Ninfa's in Houston and around Texas, none supposedly as good as the original.

And Houston locals or people who are familiar with it from back in the day say the original location itself is nowhere near as good as it was years ago, when the founding family still ran it.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-south
They have been there for years. I moved from Knoxville 30 years ago and they were open then. They were pretty good back in the day
Growing up we used to have one in Johnson city that was right down the road from my house. It was great!

If you are in Asheville or the SC upstate, look for Papas & Beer. You can thank me later.
Ha! Pretty much the same but I prefer El Que Pasa better. Going there today as a matter of fact for Mexican st Patrick’s day!

I’m a teacher. I make my kids tacos at the end of each semester. I’m been considering starting a food trailer. I’ll be managed a restaurant in my past - so I’m familiar with food service. My students love my tacos.
If they are traditional they're just crispy fold overs.

Best traditional Mexican I've had in many moons was at the small tri-county fair where we used to live in GA. Locals would set up a food booth and cook home style offerings. They would put the small corn corn tortillas on the flat top with a little oil just briefly on each side. Sliced beef, onion, and pablano with a sprinkle of cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice, and you had your self a wonderful taco.

VN Store

Back