Knecht

That's why I asked. I wasn't sure how they did that two games in. It's too small of a sample size to even attempt to rank these teams now. Knecht is gonna get his and open the floor for everybody else.

Well, the best predictor of performance is past performance, and Wisconsin returned every single player from last year’s team. I think KenPom has a fair assessment of how good that team is.

I didn’t hear any stats of points in the paint last night, but I think we held our own in that department which surprised me.

That's why I asked. I wasn't sure how they did that two games in. It's too small of a sample size to even attempt to rank these teams now. Knecht is gonna get his and open the floor for everybody else.
Bad listener. Mookie is pointing out that the algorithm is based on a very large data set, not a very small one. “These teams” are made up of players with past histories. In instances like Wisconsin, “That team” is mostly the same as last year, with a couple of parts switched. The program, the players and the team are known for defense, based on a large complex data set.

Well, the best predictor of performance is past performance, and Wisconsin returned every single player from last year’s team. I think KenPom has a fair assessment of how good that team is.
It was probably more game planning than performance. They were just letting Knecht iso and take a smaller defender right to the basket in the first half. It's like they didn't respect him. He is not gonna see this moving forward. That's what I meant earlier. Somebody is about to be wide open when he gets the ball.

It was probably more game planning than performance. They were just letting Knecht iso and take a smaller defender right to the basket in the first half. It's like they didn't respect him. He is not gonna see this moving forward. That's what I meant earlier. Somebody is about to be wide open when he gets the ball.

Can you just enjoy this big win? I mean come on man.

The data guy makes a case based on one game. The scout on us last year was crowd the middle and don’t let Santi get a look. Wisconsin followed that. If they want to pinch Knecht, enjoy. Santi, JJJ or Gainey will score. I couldn’t be more excited about Knecht’s scoring presence, but the more exciting aspect is that every player is about to get more room to score because of him. Knecht will create 20 point nights for several players besides himself.

The data guy makes a case based on one game. The scout on us last year was crowd the middle and don’t let Santi get a look. Wisconsin followed that. If they want to pinch Knecht, enjoy. Santi, JJJ or Gainey will score. I couldn’t be more excited about Knecht’s scoring presence, but the more exciting aspect is that every player is about to get more room to score because of him. Knecht will create 20 point nights for several players besides himself.

Exactly. Knecht completely changes how teams have to defend us. I don’t think teams can afford to double him or devote too many resources. We have so many scorers. If you want to take Knecht out of the game, you’re going to have ZZ or Santi there for a kick out 3. And through 4 games (yes including exhibitions) JJJ is quietly playing his best basketball in a long time and knows his role.

He stuffed the stat sheet last night and his shooting looks much improved. If he can actually stay healthy, he’s going to be the most under appreciated aspect of this entire team. He also looks better attacking the basket, too.

Agree with you.

If I’m scouting. I see that Knecht is a little turnover prone in traffic so I’m trapping and bringing the double late and making him beat me with play making.

So far, he hasn’t really shown he has much play making. To be fair, that’s cause he has not needed to. But I think that’s pretty much what you gotta do. Otherwise he has gonna kill you.

I’m still kinda shook up cause he seems too good to be true. He has been unbelievable.

Agree with you.

If I’m scouting. I see that Knecht is a little turnover prone in traffic so I’m trapping and bringing the double late and making him beat me with play making.

So far, he hasn’t really shown he has much play making. To be fair, that’s cause he has not needed to. But I think that’s pretty much what you gotta do. Otherwise he has gonna kill you.

I’m still kinda shook up cause he seems too good to be true. He has been unbelievable.

I think he’s still learning. I haven’t looked at their schedule, but I can’t imagine during his time at Northern Colorado he played many games against teams like Michigan State or Wisconsin. This level of competition is new and he’s figuring out what he can and can’t do and what he needs to improve on.

It’s scary to think how good this guy can be if that perimeter shooting improves just a bit and he fixes the turnovers.

Exactly. Knecht completely changes how teams have to defend us. I don’t think teams can afford to double him or devote too many resources. We have so many scorers. If you want to take Knecht out of the game, you’re going to have ZZ or Santi there for a kick out 3. And through 4 games (yes including exhibitions) JJJ is quietly playing his best basketball in a long time and knows his role.

He stuffed the stat sheet last night and his shooting looks much improved. If he can actually stay healthy, he’s going to be the most under appreciated aspect of this entire team. He also looks better attacking the basket, too.
Gainey has really impressed me as well. This teams is actually deep with offensive talent.

Agree

I’ll look back on JJJ’s time here as a great example of how to live life in the moment. I’m not sure I can recall a player making more out of every second. I have no idea whether his body will prove durable enough for the pros, but what an incredible contributor and teammate. Behind the scenes, he’s put both Jefferson and J Phillips back on track, showed up for ZZ daily during recovery, and spent a large chunk of time making Gainey and Knecht feel welcome. This kid continues to play unselfishly, play team defense and show up outside practice again and again. I genuinely hope he has a healthy season. If so, I think we’re going to see big growth in his offensive game. I know that has been promised before, but this is the first stretch on healthy knees since the end of his junior season.

Last edited:
I’ll look back on JJJ’s time here as a great example of how to live life in the moment. I’m not sure I can recall a player making more out of every moment here. I have no idea whether his body will prove durable enough for the pros, but what an incredible contributor and teammate. Behind the scenes, he’s put both Jefferson and J Phillips back on track, showed up for ZZ daily during recovery, and spent a large chunk of time making Gainey and Knecht feel welcome. This kid continues to play unselfishly, play team defense and show up outside practice again and again. I genuinely hope he has a healthy season. If so, I think we’re going to see big growth in his offensive game. I know that has been promised before, but this is the first stretch on healthy knees since the end of his junior season.
Maybe in left field on this one....but I see him as a grad assistant under Barnes if he wants...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’ll look back on JJJ’s time here as a great example of how to live life in the moment. I’m not sure I can recall a player making more out of every moment here. I have no idea whether his body will prove durable enough for the pros, but what an incredible contributor and teammate. Behind the scenes, he’s put both Jefferson and J Phillips back on track, showed up for ZZ daily during recovery, and spent a large chunk of time making Gainey and Knecht feel welcome. This kid continues to play unselfishly, play team defense and show up outside practice again and again. I genuinely hope he has a healthy season. If so, I think we’re going to see big growth in his offensive game. I know that has been promised before, but this is the first stretch on healthy knees since the end of his junior season.

I love JJJ. He’s had frustrating stretches at times, but he’s been dealt a raw hand with his injury history. I think he’s one of the all-time great Vols but also will be an all-time under-appreciated player by this fanbase. I am hoping his finally gets the season he deserves. Just one season of complete health to show why he is such a good player. So far, he’s looked the part. He’s hitting shots and attacking the basket and he’s a great floor general.

We’ve had a lot of great Vols in our history, but it would be really poetic if guys like Santi and JJJ who have meant so much to rebuilding this program in their 5 years here are the ones to break the mold and get us our elusive first Final Four.

This speaks so highly of the value of Josiah despite all the adverse circumstances. He’s a winner on the court, in the locker room, and away from basketball as well.

Y’all have covered what Knecht does on offense well and how it’s going to open up things for the other guys, but also he’s not looked lost or disinterested on defense at all. He’s not lockdown or anything but considering all the energy spent on offense and the fact he played 36 minutes, I was impressed he generally stayed in front of his man and forced some tough shots. Some dumb fouls but that was the whole team

He is a prized player to have on the court because of his leadership. Role player for sure. Once this team gets to mid season form and beyond they will be unbeatable.
Last night we beat them because of physical strength, endurance, and experience. Wisconsin was gassed at the end of the game. We are 10 to 11 deep and that will wear you down physically and mentally.

He is gonna see game planning completely designed to stop him. He is a hard guard because guys are either too small or not athletic enough. Wisconsin didn't have anyone to even get in his way most of the game.
We’ve been talking all preseason about our hopes that DK can draw some defensive focus to take the attention off Vescovi. I hope other teams start trying to double him he’s got some great teammates who will pick up any slack

Of course I remember Scooter, but that team was terrible. JP Prince and Bobby Maze are more than just "up there". Until Knecht, easily our most impactful transfers
Bobby Maze isn't what I'd call a traditional transfer in the same sense as players like Knecht, Prince, or McFadgon. That was my point about him. He was a JUCO kid after leaving Oklahoma as freshman.

Then it comes down to the subjective definition of "impactful". It seems like you feel as if im being argumentative or dismissing their contribitions. Prince and Maze played major roles on really good teams, but Maymon, McFadgon, Kevin Punter (if you're going to count JUCO kids) all were much more impactful from a pure statistical sense. So, again, I guess it depends on what you place more emphasis on. Me saying they are "up there" isn't a slight to them.

Another player I've not seen mentioned in this discussion is Tyler Smith. He was both a statistically impactful player as well as impactful on program success, and played on those same teams with Maze and Prince.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Is he skipping the rest of the season and jumping straight into the NBA? Who are these 6’-6”+ very athletic defenders on our schedule?

We’re playing small ball spacing the floor with strong ball rotation, running guys off lots of picks. We have 5 quality 3ball Shooters in the rotation to combat teams packing it in on defense. Storr was an explosive 6’-7” athlete and Knecht got his shots last night. Lot’s of reasons for the optimism on this board.
ColinS is a volnation curmudgeon. Very hesitant to show faith or optimism in our coaches or players.

Y’all have covered what Knecht does on offense well and how it’s going to open up things for the other guys, but also he’s not looked lost or disinterested on defense at all. He’s not lockdown or anything but considering all the energy spent on offense and the fact he played 36 minutes, I was impressed he generally stayed in front of his man and forced some tough shots. Some dumb fouls but that was the whole team
I thought he locked in nicely on D after a couple of struggles early.

ColinS is a volnation curmudgeon. Very hesitant to show faith or optimism in our coaches or players.
Yall are so programed to reject the least bit of negativety that yall freak out and find it when it's not there. Basicly all I said is that Knecht is good and he will be game planned differently moving forward.

VN Store

Back