King James Says that Summitt's teams would have defeated Staley's teams

I put Parker ahead of both Chamique and Maya. But, what I do agree with u on, Jordan Horston. This is a totally different sport, but the first time I saw Horston play basketball, I thought of the first time I saw Serena Williams play tennis. The best athlete in her sport, she just has to learn how to use it, even harness it a tiny bit and learn the fine details of the (bb IQ) game and the talent will shine thru

She's got the speed of Meme and the skillset of Chamique
Just has to continue to find her balance

Because we are comparing college lineups not their professional careers... that’s how we can compare.

Just like if someone compared them women of Troy (that was a legit documentary done by HBO) to UConn’s best... we would compare what they did during their college careers not what they did after.

You could also compare individual college awards and team accomplishments.

We may have to wait to have discussions about overall basketball and career but since all their college careers are over let the discussion continue 😊

Cool Beans. I have no problem with the debate I just think it’s meaningless, nevertheless it’s always fun to reminisce on the good times even though they don’t always last.

Pat & Andy had years of coaching players who had only ever played 6-man, half-court basketball; Dawn coaches players who may have gone to clinics taught by Catch, Mique, and other accomplished players. There are more athletic, stronger, knowledgeable, and experienced players now for Dawn to choose from. Dawn doesn't have to coach up a team of corn-fed chicks. But Pat & Andy absolutely struck gold in their recruiting many times - and then coached 'em up.

You missed the entire point of my argument. But whatever, it’s not like it would matter anyway lol.

Cool Beans. I have no problem with the debate I just think it’s meaningless, nevertheless it’s always fun to reminisce on the good times even though they don’t always last.

Exactly... it’s meaningless mostly but I think the point is that SC and TN are two of the most respected programs in the SEC. SC because of its current dominance and TN for setting the bar. You noticed teams like GA or KY didn’t get any love 🤣 I think that’s due to the success of the programs.

Reactions: SCspur
It’s a dumb comparison and it’s obvious the sport writers in the SEC are very bored. Everyone on the Tennessee graphic outside of Parker could be mothers(age wise) to those on SC’s. Why compare some of greatest players from decades ago to active players still mapping out their legacies? Also you can’t compare Legend Pat Summit who coached well over 30 years at UT to Dawn Staley who hasn’t even had close to half that time at SC? We can probably revisit this in next 20 years but as of right now.... No.

Dumb? Why? Because LBJ empathically picked the Lady Vols over your Gamecocks? Dumb or not, these hypothetical matchups are done all the time and in every sport, and they are usually comparing current great players and great teams to past ones. So what, your beloved Gamecocks take an L here in the eyes of Lebron (and pretty much anybody else with a brain). Set aside your indignation and disdain and just enjoy it for what it is: a fun exercise in hypotheticals.

The only one I put in Chamique's class is Maya Moore
And those of you who know me well know I am not a connie fan, but that girl was great on every level.
This is why I am down on Geno, but also not
I too would have gone above and beyond for a kid like that
Pat knew what Maya was

And I am going to tell you a prediction now,,,Jordan Horston will be in that class when she's done
"Michael" Jordan Horston. I agree if Kellie (or some Lady Vols coach) can get in her head to play to her potential.

I wouldn't even put South Carolina's "team" as the second best in the SEC. Landers at Georgia coached Janet Harris, Teresa Edwards, Katrina McCain, Saudia Roundtree, Kelly Miller, among countless others. Say what you will about Landers, but that team would still smoke South Carolina's...

Definitely.

Raw talent Holdsclaw.

I actually think the opposite. I think Parker wins the talent category, but certainly not the killer instinct or drive categories, and Mique's consistency has never been matched by ANY collegiate player since. She literally had one bad game her whole career, which unfortunately was her last game of her career against Duke.

Parker REALLY struggled in both of her FFs, while Holdsclaw was very good in all three of hers, and flat-out carried us to a NC in 1997. Yes, she was injured in 2008, but let's not forget she basically slept-walked through the 2007 FF in most of the game vs. UNC and pretty much the whole game vs. Rutgers, where Anosike was our true MVP in that FF. (Her effort in 2008 in Tampa was much better, especially given the injury.) Parker was a lot lazier of a player than Holdsclaw; it's been my criticism of her the entire time I've been a fan of hers. Love her to death but it is what it is. Even with that, she still managed to be NPOY in two seasons just like Holdsclaw (which speaks to her talent), but there's no question I'm picking Holdsclaw if the game is on the line. She was a much better defender, as well, and was as good of a rebounder despite being shorter.

Reactions: Dube
What about Bobbitt hmm ! I think the only reason she is not on this team is because she only played 2 years ?

Would you take Bobbitt at PG over Jolly? I wouldn't. Honestly the only other player that deserves a possible spot on the team at PG is Marciniak, but she was decently inconsistent b/c she was a scoring PG, and didn't have the passing ability or basketball IQ of Jolly, while Jolly performed the role pretty much to perfection in her time at UT. People forget she had like 11 assists in that '97 title game vs. ODU.

Would you take Bobbitt at PG over Jolly? I wouldn't. Honestly the only other player that deserves a possible spot on the team at PG is Marciniak, but she was decently inconsistent b/c she was a scoring PG, and didn't have the passing ability or basketball IQ of Jolly, while Jolly performed the role pretty much to perfection in her time at UT. People forget she had like 11 assists in that '97 title game vs. ODU.

agree..both Kellie and MM have competitive fire in them

I think that SC lineup would fold even against a second round of Lady Vols comprised of Nicky Anosike, Daedra Charles, Bridgette Gordon, Semeka Randall, and Dena Head, particularly being prepared by Pat Summitt.

Anosike? Nah. I love Nicky but she never could make a layup. And it nearly costed us a NC in 2008 when she blew that layup vs. LSU. She was always the defender and rebounder we needed, but that doesn't get you a spot on these teams. Tanya Haave, Sheila Frost, Bashaara Graves, Gwen Jackson and Glory Johnson are names just off the top of my head that would get a spot over Anosike. Or Cindy Noble, who was a two-time Olympian counting the 1980 Olympics that she didn't get to play in, and Jill Rankin who also would've been on the 1980 team. Nikki McCray should be in her spot. You know...two time SEC POY and two time Olympian Nikki McCray? ;) Not to mention, you need a SF on that team. Gordon actually was a PF, and with Nicky you would have two centers. I'd pick Sheila Collins from back in the day over Randall but I understand picking Randall.

Speaking of LSU, how about a team of Temeka Johnson, Marie Ferdinand, Joyce Walker, Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles? Pretty damn good team. Joyce Walker was a guard for them in the early 80s who was the SEC scoring leader until Mique took that.

Last edited:

That`s your opinion and yes i would take Bobbitt and it is what it is.

That`s your opinion and yes i would take Bobbitt and it is what it is.

Bobbitt def had an it factor however Kellie has command over those teams. Both would make great PGs but let’s be honest me, you, and the rest of volnation could look like good PGs with that group 😂

Anosike? Nah. I love Nicky but she never could make a layup. And it nearly costed us a NC in 2008 when she blew that layup vs. LSU. She was always the defender and rebounder we needed, but that doesn't get you a spot on these teams. Tanya Haave, Sheila Frost, Bashaara Graves, Gwen Jackson and Glory Johnson are names just off the top of my head that would get a spot over Anosike. Or Cindy Noble, who was a two-time Olympian counting the 1980 Olympics that she didn't get to play in, and Jill Rankin who also would've been on the 1980 team. Nikki McCray should be in her spot. You know...two time SEC POY and two time Olympian Nikki McCray? ;) Not to mention, you need a SF on that team. Gordon actually was a PF, and with Nicky you would have two centers. I'd pick Sheila Collins from back in the day over Randall but I understand picking Randall.

Speaking of LSU, how about a team of Temeka Johnson, Marie Ferdinand, Joyce Walker, Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles? Pretty damn good team. Joyce Walker was a guard for them in the early 80s who was the SEC scoring leader until Mique took that.

Those are good options for Anosike. I leaned her way for her defensive aptitude and size to check Wilson inside and out. Charles and Gordon would provide enough offense. Anosike would provide clean-up.

Gordon can play SF. She was on the floor with Frost and Horton or Spinks usually.

Sheila Collins was one of my all-time favorites offensively. At (maybe ) 5-9, she could throw it down uncontested.

Convincingly, Tennessee has multiple options.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Bobbitt def had an it factor however Kellie has command over those teams. Both would make great PGs but let’s be honest me, you, and the rest of volnation could look like good PGs with that group 😂

Ha :)

I thought about LSU too, but I figured this was about coaching eras and technically Gunter never coached Fowles...

There are flaws and questions...first..Tennessee has a much larger pool by virtue of the sheer domination it displayed for many years vs us (South Carolina) with a decade of what you will call success...but not really domination. I would absolutely say that Tennessee should win that match up and I would think any Gamecock fan would concede that. I do not understand why a national athlete with no ties to either school who endorses products nationally that both schools fans may purchase...would weigh in on that subject. It may be a true statement but he gains nothing from taking a stand. I would have just refused to answer if I was hawking products nationwide...but that's just me....

VN Store

Back