Kim English appreciation thread.

vanillagorilla

tenor.gif

The man can recruit with the best of them.

I mentioned it awhile back that we were lucky to have him on staff. I like that he is learning under Barnes teaching and could become a target for some smaller schools.

He has already been targeted by some smaller schools and turned them down to stay at UT...for now.

I don’t want Barnes to leave anytime soon but would love to see Kim take over the reigns once he leaves. I’m sure he’ll be lured away before the time Rick retires, though.

I don’t want Barnes to leave anytime soon but would love to see Kim take over the reigns once he leaves. I’m sure he’ll be lured away before the time Rick retires, though.
I wouldn’t say that too loud on here. Some people seem to think only a guy with head coaching experience can take the deacons job.

Reactions: berryvol
He has already been targeted by some smaller schools and turned them down to stay at UT...for now.

Yep, with his impact on recruiting I doubt we’ll be able to hold on to him much longer. Someone will make hiring him for a HC spot a real priority.

I wouldn’t say that too loud on here. Some people seem to think only a guy with head coaching experience can take the deacons job.
Well, in all fairness, the Tennessee HC position is currently a top-20 job, nationally, and top-3 in the SEC. Missouri might not be a top-75 job, and easily bottom-3 in the SEC. I think it's safe to believe the two programs and ADs shouldn't be shopping from the same shelf. Mizzou could get away with hiring an unproven assistant, especially an alumnus with a hot name. Tennessee should be aiming higher and would need to strike out on several higher profile names to settle on a guy with English's resumé.

To put it in perspective, the Tennessee football job was probably less attractive to potential HCs than the basketball job currently is, and we struck out on what, 7 or 8 guys before settling on the college football equivalent of Kim English in Jeremy Pruitt. And many people were universally disappointed with that entire hiring process netting that result. Now imagine the outcry if he were our primary target from day one.

If you can recruit like this, who cares? There’s a coach in the neighboring state to the north who is horrible with X’s and O’s but has one title and should have 2-3 more.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I appreciate Kim English. Uh..Who is he again?

Oh one of the assistant coaches. Now I remember.

Schwarz and Oliver are solid recruiters as well as English.

Does Tennessee offer multi year contracts for basketball assistant coaches like they do for football assistant coaches?

Reactions: cardvolfan
Unfortunately, I feel that once Mizzou runs off Cuonzo, he'll be heading home.

My fear too, but MU may not be home for him. Originally from Baltimore, college at MU, all over afterwards playing and coaching. Perhaps he sees how the last "favorite son" former player named Kim was treated as the Tiger's coach. I think he has a big upside and I hope UT can take advantage of that. I think he's a winner.

But I'm rooting for Cuonzo to win just enough games to not get fired...just in case...

VN Store

Back