Kim English a candidate at SEMO

Only 5 years of experience as a coach of any kind. Not sure he is ready for this, just yet.

He, or Mike Schwartz, should be a candidate for head coach at Missouri instead.
Might be if MO hadn't signed the sort of contract that afflicts them with Cuonzo for the foreseeable future.

If he thinks he's ready to be a HC then this could be a good level to start out at. He's got the energy, just depends on if he can build the culture. That's often the hardest part for young coaches to really grasp in my opinion.

I think he could be successful almost anywhere but that place is a challenge

This might be a little but of a hot take but I started a thread a month or so ago talking about which coach had the scout. It wasn’t discussed much but I think he had the scout in a number of our flops down the stretch including Auburn iirc.

It’s entirely possible he’s very overrated as a coach here. Imo we lost a lot with the trade between with Lanier for him.

This might be a little but of a hot take but I started a thread a month or so ago talking about which coach had the scout. It wasn’t discussed much but I think he had the scout in a number of our flops down the stretch including Auburn iirc.

It’s entirely possible he’s very overrated as a coach here. Imo we lost a lot with the trade between with Lanier for him.
I do think a lot of our fan base overrates him a tad, but the idea that he’s in the running for a head job despite a relative lack of coaching experience suggests his star is bright. I just happen to think he’s too green for a head job at a D1 program, right now.

I do think a lot of our fan base overrates him a tad, but the idea that he’s in the running for a head job despite a relative lack of coaching experience suggests his star is bright. I just happen to think he’s too green for a head job at a D1 program, right now.

He is green but he is a young recognizable name in that area which carries a lot of weight. Its just hard for us to know how good he really is to be honest

I think Tennessee could play Auburn 10 times and Auburn would win 8, at least. It’s just not a good match up in the backcourt for the Vols and Tennessee doesn’t have any advantage on the front line to overcome it. Scouting might be his weakness but head coaches don’t do much scouting. English has clearly raised the bar recruiting and that’s where 75% of that game is in my opinion.

I think Tennessee could play Auburn 10 times and Auburn would win 8, at least. It’s just not a good match up in the backcourt for the Vols and Tennessee doesn’t have any advantage on the front line to overcome it. Scouting might be his weakness but head coaches don’t do much scouting. English has clearly raised the bar recruiting and that’s where 75% of that game is in my opinion.

What makes you say he raised the bar in recruiting?

Olivier is the only one I recall he gets credit for

Smart move for him, IMO. By not jumping at the first opportunity, he gets to continue to learn from a veteran HC, and also generate interest and intrigue in himself.
Maybe even set himself up to take over a P5 program...like ours. Lanier most obvious heir apparent, all dependent on what he does at Georgia State and/or upgraded job.

What makes you say he raised the bar in recruiting?

Olivier is the only one I recall he gets credit for

Reports I’ve heard, take it for what it’s worth, is he got Tennessee involved in the Washington big guy and several others top rated guys on board. Maybe you’re right that he isn’t very good but suddenly the recruiting activity for top level guys by Barnes staff has grown significantly.

Reports I’ve heard, take it for what it’s worth, is he got Tennessee involved in the Washington big guy and several others top rated guys on board. Maybe you’re right that he isn’t very good but suddenly the recruiting activity for top level guys by Barnes staff has grown significantly.

I’m not saying he isn’t good. I just think he’s picked up where recruiting was going before he got here.
It appears he’s done a good job of maintaining it but I don’t think he somehow is the reason we are fishing in different waters now

I’m not saying he isn’t good. I just think he’s picked up where recruiting was going before he got here.
It appears he’s done a good job of maintaining it but I don’t think he somehow is the reason we are fishing in different waters now
Kinda agree, needs to land one or 2. Guess which 2, I want ?

VN Store

Back