Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Lots of assumptions being made on here that TN had the ability to hire whoever they wanted. Apparently Gottlieb was pursued and there was no amount of money that would have enticed her. So White had a profile for what he wanted and decided Caldwell fit. Nothing wrong with that. Despite what some think, financial resources have limits and the higher the salary a different kind of risk is taken. There is no candidate that would guarantee winning without risks. Try to enjoy the rebuild.
The rebuild better start day 1, we've never missed the tournament. That won't nor should be tolerated. It's a tough spot to put such an inexperienced coach in, but that's were we're at.

Reactions: glv98
I am not understanding "unproven":

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2016–17Glenville State24–618–41stNCAA Division II First Round
2017–18Glenville State31–222–01stNCAA Division II Second Round
2018–19Glenville State30–321–11stNCAA Division II Second Round
2019–20Glenville State26–519–31stNCAA Division II (Cancelled)
2020–21Glenville State12–410–22ndNCAA Division II First Round
2021–22Glenville State35–122–01stNCAA Division II Champions
2022–23Glenville State33–320–21stNCAA Division II Final Four
Glenville State:191–24132–12
2023–24Marshall26–717–11stNCAA Division I First Round
Marshall:26–717–1

An overall 217-32 record is damn good.

I feel like Danny is obsessed with up and comers with potential. I don’t know if it’s his ego and he thinks he’s some expert at finding them, but either way it’s a huge gamble. I don’t like it. I’m sick of every one of our AD’s shopping the bargain bin. He realizes he’s putting the most storied women’s basketball program in the hands of an unproven coach right? Right?!?!
I feel like you have no idea what Danny tries to do because he keeps it close to the vest. I think it drives fans like you crazy. This is the best course of action. Getting a private no vs getting a public one is a must. Or you will have another Tony Elliot situation on your hands.

LSU looks a little high to me with HVL leaving and Reese going Pro have to wait and see what they do in the portal, but that is two big players gone. Texas should be higher a lot of players back and two top ten recruits coming in. Ole Miss isn't losing much and Kentucky has already upgraded to close to the top five.
With Angel Reese leaving they will be down a few notches.

I’m not guaranteeing she’ll have success here but I’m not discounting her chances either. I like her track record and style of play. I think it correlates well with today’s game and if I was a a recruit I’d love to play in it.
Well said! GBO

Colorado went 1-8 in conference play and 4-8 overall. The type of player matters and an unknown coach isn’t pulling the all Americans we need to be relevant again.
Well honestly Deion has had nowhere near the success of this lady. In fact I dont think he is a good coach at all. I believe this lady to be a good coach that isn't all flash. My point is strictly that players are out there to fill a roster. I think making the tournament is a starting point. Yes i realize we need AA to compete at a high level. I believe that will take some time but it will come

I feel like you have no idea what Danny tries to do because he keeps it close to the vest. I think it drives fans like you crazy. This is the best course of action. Getting a private no vs getting a public one is a must. Or you will have another Tony Elliot situation on your hands.
Nah I don’t mind that he keeps stuff under wraps. Just making an observation about his hires. Most of them have worked out. It would just be nice to go get a proven coach for once. Idk about you, but I’m tired of hoping for the unprovens to work out.

I have watched and listened to podcast after podcast this week where most of the talk was about how Tennessee NEEDS a proven winner in this moment in Lady Vol history. A hire of Stephens would be heavily questioned (as it should) even if she does hold potential to be good in the long run.
NO, intelligent folks will question those that question our AD without benefit of knowledge of discussions of staff construction, current player retention and recruit and portal target responses to her if hired, over the last few days.

It is simple if you have the mind of a normal person. It is not a black mark to those who make the decision who is the AD. The department made over 200 million in revenue last year. The most ever. It is a business and you do not fire those who don't make money. The Lady Vols lost money this past year and if this doesn't work out and the AD makes over 200 million again, then he is golden. Maybe a black mark for you but not for those who make decisions. Cut all the women's programs then you violate the law and Title IX. Learn how college athletics work before making stupid comments.
The athletic department will generate record revenue until the media market dies, but so will the Vanderbilts and Rutgers of the world. Are their ADs considered successful? Do they hire quality coaches, maintain their program prestige, win games? White can tout massive profits every year and it still won't make his coaching hires any less risky.

Everyone on this board understands how collegiate athletics work, develop a solid argument rather than being a pompous midwit.

The good thing for me is I know how this will end, so I won’t get emotional like I’ve been during the years. I’ll always watch and support every game but this is the end of us winning championships, we will have to hope for the moral victories and hope to be some kind of Cinderella.
2008, last championship, last final 4. Time for a different direction.

Reactions: Exiled and crazyguy
Wonder if there is any chance of Tamari Key changing her mind about leaving?

I think TK is done, I’m not sure how much she was loving it toward the end.

Stranger things have happened but I would be totally shocked.

While the pace of Caldwell’s system might not suit her the minutes would. She likes to run and pressure for 40 minutes in 2-3 increments with players.

Reactions: brittannica

VN Store

Back