Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

The Marshall story this year is very interesting. About 6 games into the season, Marshall lost their top scorer. She left the team, deciding that she wanted to play for preseason favorite James Madison, in the 2024/25 season.
Marshall, preseason #9 pick in their conference, and without their leading scorer, went 17-1 to win their conference. They then won their conference tournament beating James Madison in overtime in the final.
A remarkable underdog story.

Really cool. I'd think coming off the success they had this year, recruiting would have picked up but yet she didn't sign a single recruit (just like Kellie). Any news on why they lost another good player (9ppg) to the portal after the season ended ?

you love to argue dontcha?

So you are tellingme that if the incoming coach was Kim Stephens/Caldwell or Kim Mulkey,,,the expectations would be equal......I think not

I like to try and talk sense...I don't care if the coach is Mulkey, the West Virginia basketball whisperer or Peter Pan, there will be expectations.

Now, And listen carefully to this: Who is going to get more leeway and the benefit of doubt from fans and the AD if the first two seasons are not good--Kim Mulkey, with her 20 years of success and multiple national titles and major credibility---or a little known coach with one-year of mid-major experience who was a shock hire in the first place? You owe me lunch....

The Marshall story this year is very interesting. About 6 games into the season, Marshall lost their top scorer. She left the team, deciding that she wanted to play for preseason favorite James Madison, in the 2024/25 season.
Marshall, preseason #9 pick in their conference, and without their leading scorer, went 17-1 to win their conference. They then won their conference tournament beating James Madison in overtime in the final.
A remarkable underdog story.

I'll also add that is a HUGE red flag. You lose a star player 6 games into the season :oops: That would be a direct reflection on the coaching staff at any major program and it would turn into cannon fodder for other programs to use against you in recruiting.

Reactions: brittannica
The Tennessee Lady Vols are hiring Marshall head coach Kim Caldwell, per multiple sources. - Trilly Donovan

But therein lies the problem, Kim Caldwell has no real track record at the highest level of the sport. She coached a grand total of one game in the tournament and one season in Division I.

If you are the Tennessee AD, you are rolling the dice and going way out on the limb with a hire like this. Caldwell hasn't had the level of success to excite and energize the entirety of the fanbase. Nor does she have the name recognition and instant credibility with potential recruits. She will have to start from ground zero.

Could Kim Caldwell become successful as the women's basketball coach at Tennessee? Absolutely. But, at the moment, there is little in the way of evidence, one way or the other.
Who does have the evidence that they would do well at Tennessee ? You are another Nostradamus for Women's College basketball.......good-on -ya .

And over something they can't do anything about - even if it is true

A lot of folks enjoy the coaching searching threads because it gives us something to talk about and includes fans who don't normally participate. It's really cool actually, and the threads move much faster than a typical Lady Vols thread.

Reactions: brittannica
Marshall is not Tennessee. Tennessee has never missed the NCAA tournament. NEVER!

Are you ready for 4 seasons of no NCAA tournament? The coach hired may survive missing it the first year, but they won't survive missing it two in row.

Some of you act like the Lady Vols program is at the same level that the football program was with the last couple of hires. It is nowhere near that.
And she made the Tournament at Marshall in the first year... What are you talking about 😂

Marshall is not Tennessee. Tennessee has never missed the NCAA tournament. NEVER!

Are you ready for 4 seasons of no NCAA tournament? The coach hired may survive missing it the first year, but they won't survive missing it two in row.

Some of you act like the Lady Vols program is at the same level that the football program was with the last couple of hires. It is nowhere near that.

She made the tournament last. Your hate is clouding your reality

I bet we get our announcement at halftime of the title game today. With 20 million people watching a lady vol love fest.

Not if it's Stephens. That type of hire isn't announced in the spotlight. You announce that after the season ends for wbb and less eyes are on the sport. It would be a highly controversial hire that will be questioned by most of the media personalities in the sport.

I bet we get our announcement at halftime of the title game today. With 20 million people watching a lady vol love fest.
We’ll hear “reports” imo…presser tomorrow. Dan White delays announcements when it’s assistants, but recruiting demands you let HCs get to work stat.

Not if it's Stephens. That type of hire isn't announced in the spotlight. You announce that after the season ends for wbb and less eyes are on the sport. It would be a highly controversial hire that will be questioned by most of the media personalities in the sport.
Got a beta test for that theory?

Brenda Frese Instagram stories have me 🤔💭🤔💭🤔💭

Grateful seems to be the word of the day. Also looks like she’s in Florida? Quick flight from Atlanta for a little R&R before she hits the ground running at Tennessee Monday?

Also hasn’t been active in recruiting on Instagram this week which is very unusual for her. She’s all over the portal and HS usually. Has always been a voracious recruiter, to the point of crossing the line sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.png
    IMG_4620.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4621.png
    IMG_4621.png
    283.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4619.png
    IMG_4619.png
    300.7 KB · Views: 37
No. They’re just working through the normal details. It takes some time to do a deal. I realize gaskets might be blown, but there are steps.
Speculating for a moment: If the HC hire were Stephens, surely there's no way it would take this long to negotiate terms. So I'd think it's someone else (my suspicion at this point is Frese).

Grateful seems to be the word of the day. Also looks like she’s in Florida? Quick flight from Atlanta for a little R&R before she hits the ground running at Tennessee Monday?

Also hasn’t been active in recruiting on Instagram this week which is very unusual for her. She’s all over the portal and HS usually. Has always been a voracious recruiter, to the point of crossing the line sometimes.
1563fdcdd1a1be8d806575f2b7950c11.gif

This is such a high quality post. Thank you, @VolBall09 , from someone who loves
combing social media and was convinced we were getting a Beyonce tour announcement based on Beyoncé’s mom’s instagram likes. DW announcing a hire like Brenda would objectively be hilarious after all this discussion and reconciling ourselves to Kim Caldwell.

Love or hate KCS, it’s incredibly stupid to base your opinion of her on one ncaa tournament game.
I think it's hard to love or hate on her.. i think it's be dry fair to say nobody knows enough about her coaching ability at this level and people could hate the move and not the coach.

Virgins Tech was much closer to her and seemed to fail to notice her upward trajectory, I guess. They settled for Duffy instead. Maybe Danny had her locked into the bag a month ago as part of his plan?
West Virginia also had an opening last year too and they didn’t scoop her up. WVU, her home state school didn’t take a chance on her, but she’s good enough to lead Tennessee?

Speculating for a moment: If the HC hire were Stephens, surely there's no way it would take this long to negotiate terms. So I'd think it's someone else (my suspicion at this point is Frese).
I would think they could work out her contract over a lunch at Chili’s. That coach would have no leverage.

This is such a high quality post. Thank you, @VolBall09 , from someone who loves
combing social media and was convinced we were getting a Beyonce tour announcement based on Beyoncé’s mom’s instagram likes. DW announcing a hire like Brenda would objectively be hilarious after all this discussion and reconciling ourselves to Kim Caldwell.

Mama Tina does drop the hints 😂😩💀

Anyone they’re going to hire will have an agent and there will be back and forth. It always takes time. I have not heard Stephens name from anyone outside the chain of Twitter trolldom. White arrived here during an emergency and hasn’t been able to put his stamp on the Lady Vols brand yet. He has specific ideas about how to win a championship, and who can do that. Those attributes will undoubtedly be expressed in the introduction of the hire.

VN Store

Back