Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Love or hate KCS, it’s incredibly stupid to base your opinion of her on one ncaa tournament game.
That game is the only experience at the level that she has where we expect a coach of the Lady Vols to succeed at.

It's the perception of the change - fire a coach that, while she hasn't beaten the top teams with any consistency had the team at least in the games, for a coach whose only experience is a really bad loss.

If Caldwell is all that and the best of the best, then why wasn't she hired by one of the other teams who have been looking for coaches??

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
When we march on campus, are pitchforks and torches allowed? I don't want to make signs. I want to go old school. Nothing says, "We are unhappy." Like a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other. Protesters today, they just do it all wrong.
I love you, Weezer! We must be near the same age, or progressing similarly in our mental decline.

Old School:
1712500086136.png
Love old school. Very cinematic. Very hands-on. The only problem is, they'd never let us near campus today.

1) The torches are adding devastating carbon into the atmosphere, nearly as much as Al Gore's plane warming the engines. Plus, torches don't make much of an impression during daylight when the news cameras would be available. (I learned that in Sunday School from Moses. If you want a big following... flames by night / cloud pillar by day.)

2) The pitchforks are just a lot of prep work. You gotta polish 'em pretty bright if they're gonna glint menacingly in the sunlight. Besides, most kids and city folk today have no idea what a pitchfork is. It's just a giant dinner fork to them. They'd probably assume we're all just vegetarians letting everyone know we're vegetarians.

Regrettably, I think this is the way we have to go today:
1712500576699.png
Everyone holds up their cellphone, with their middle finger hovering savagely, maniacally, above the
"block" button.

That's what strikes fear in today's castle comptrollers. If enough people block them, they cease to exist.

Last edited:
That game is the only experience at the level that she has where we expect a coach of the Lady Vols to succeed at.

It's the perception of the change - fire a coach that, while she hasn't beaten the top teams with any consistency had the team at least in the games, for a coach whose only experience is a really bad loss.

If Caldwell is all that and the best of the best, then why wasn't she hired by one of the other teams who have been looking for coaches??

I’m not here to sell you on her. But basing your opinion of her on one tournament game and not looking at the body of work is silly.

Virgins Tech was much closer to her and seemed to fail to notice her upward trajectory, I guess. They settled for Duffy instead. Maybe Danny had her locked into the bag a month ago as part of his plan?

Yup, Kellie wanted to see whether Kamila could make a completely uncontested, unhindered shot instead of at least making her work for it. Guess she lost that bet…

So many are convinced she told the players not up contest that shot. I’m not convinced that’s true but no matter your view of what she coached them to do, there’s no way around the fact the shot going in was pure luck.

And if you believe that’s what got her fired, you are focusing on the minutae

White is overrated and hardly a genius. That we've been successful in various sports owes to the coaches---none of whom he hired but Heupel, who has had one good season. If he hires Caldwell and she fails, White should be fired--seriously---for botching a crucial hire. This would like a struggling Formula One team offering a seat to a kid who performed very well for a year on a dirty track oval in Georgia.
And yet most of these coaches have been successful since White got here….. Football is the hire that white is judged on bc football is the money sport for the university. Football is successful, men’s basketball is at its most successful point in program history, baseball is successful as well. The university is coming off its second consecutive all sports award and you’re talking about firing the AD if he botches a hire? That’s the dumbest post you’ve had and you’ve had plenty of stupid ones.

Bc they were more worried about perception than if she can win or not…. Who cares what the perception is? If DW thinks she will be a winner then i trust his opinion.

Same could be said about a lot of coaches. People talk so highly about Hammon. If she is that good why hasn’t anyone hired her?

If CKSC is the new HC at Tennessee congratulations to her.

Don't know if AD DW so what if he didn't get the one of the big time coaches everyone wanted.

CKSC will do one of 2 things if she is hired.

1. Make us all look silly by doubting her ability to coach a Power 4 school
2. Fall flat in her face

I'm hoping for #1 option, although some of you silently are hoping for #2 option.
You know who you are..

Who was hired?…what is CKSC?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Stop telling people to go somewhere else, everyone has a right to their opinion. This is a social media forum the mere fact that you’re here indicates you have an opinion. Go play Hall monitor and hope someone listens.
Yes she should’ve added an option to have a temper tantrum like a toddler as well. It’s a free country you’re allowed to be as upset as you like sweetheart.

So many are convinced she told the players not up contest that shot. I’m not convinced that’s true but no matter your view of what she coached them to do, there’s no way around the fact the shot going in was pure luck.

That was probably the straw that broke the camels back though. She had time to see the play and make adjustments. She didn’t.

Reactions: Ratvol
I just want to say that I don't think it's Kim Caldwell and she's not even my personal choice for the job. But if we do have to go the mid major route then she's my pick.
It is concerning that she signed no recruits for 2024, if that info is correct.

Love or hate KCS, it’s incredibly stupid to base your opinion of her on one ncaa tournament game.

But therein lies the problem, Kim Caldwell has no real track record at the highest level of the sport. She coached a grand total of one game in the tournament and one season in Division I.

If you are the Tennessee AD, you are rolling the dice and going way out on the limb with a hire like this. Caldwell hasn't had the level of success to excite and energize the entirety of the fanbase. Nor does she have the name recognition and instant credibility with potential recruits. She will have to start from ground zero.

Could Kim Caldwell become successful as the women's basketball coach at Tennessee? Absolutely. But, at the moment, there is little in the way of evidence, one way or the other.

She won back to back WNBA championships and has coached at a much higher level than college. I believe she's earned the right to coach at UT or any other college
She hasn’t earned anything at the college level. She is the Gruden of women’s basketball. A name only.

If Danny rolls out a first year D1 coach to take over the most storied program in women basketball history, it’s a total failure and may be the beginning of a split in unity that we currently enjoy. I’m a big Danny White fan and the administration is the best it’s ever been, so I just can’t believe we will risk being the laughing stock of women’s basketball.
Tennessee hasn't been a storied program since Pat's death. It amazes me how our fans hang on the past history as an indication of where we should be today. That's never gonna happen again because of NIL and the ability to transfer at any time. I would be happy if we just showed a glimpse of steady improvement.

Reactions: crnanancy
I hope it's Kim Caldwell just so I can read 10 pages of that tylexx dude trashing the hire..

Just because you are cool settling with a coach 99% of fans had never heard of prior to Friday night doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Yes, I will be mad. Yes, I will be right back watching, attending, and supporting next year. Hoping for the best (as we always do).

I think Kellie played it right. She hadn't made that shot all year, maybe in her career. She protected the paint and all the regular shooters. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of coaches would have played it the same way. Lucky shot, unlucky LVs.

But therein lies the problem, Kim Caldwell has no real track record at the highest level of the sport. She coached a grand total of one game in the tournament and one season in Division I.

If you are the Tennessee AD, you are rolling the dice and going way out on the limb with a hire like this. Caldwell hasn't had the level of success to excite and energize the entirety of the fanbase. Nor does she have the name recognition and instant credibility with potential recruits. She will have to start from ground zero.

Could Kim Caldwell become successful as the women's basketball coach at Tennessee? Absolutely. But, at the moment, there is little in the way of evidence, one way or the other.
Worked out for Gottlieb

Reactions: Rocky Top T

VN Store

Back