Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

If CKSC is the new HC at Tennessee congratulations to her.

Don't know if AD DW so what if he didn't get the one of the big time coaches everyone wanted.

CKSC will do one of 2 things if she is hired.

1. Make us all look silly by doubting her ability to coach a Power 4 school
2. Fall flat in her face

I'm hoping for #1 option, although some of you silently are hoping for #2 option.
You know who you are..
Except some are not silently hoping for option 2. Really sad “fans” don’t want success for any Vol program. Their way or the highway. 😖

When we march on campus, are pitchforks and torches allowed? I don't want to make signs. I want to go old school. Nothing says, "We are unhappy." Like a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other. Protesters today, they just do it all wrong.

Yea I read the Hubbs post in similar light. I think this search is a master class being put on by DW. Thus far, no one of considerable clout has stated Caldwell is legit, nor has anyone truly leaked anything. Lowe said to expect us to go big, and this isn’t very big. I just can’t see DW and company firing Harper to then go all out for an unproven 1-year D1 coach. And if this is who we end up with, then that tells me two things: (1) everyone else said no and (2) this program isn’t as important to women’s basketball anymore like we think.

Right. While we all want the AD to "go big," that is much easier said than done. Nearly all successful coaches are already making great money--and if they're successful (which of course you want), why would they want to leave their current situation? If you're making $1 million a year at, say, Colorado, and doing well, the situation is good, would you want to take this job--which comes with much bigger expectations than those at CU and many other schools---just for a pay raise? Probably not.

That said, it's also White's job to sell this university and this job to good, qualified candidates. Kentucky just did that with Brooks--the good Virginia Tech coach. If Caldwell is the pick, then we can say either that he failed to deliver the qualified winner that most everybody agrees we need--or he's just a crazy genius and Caldwell will have a statue next to Summitt one day. I'd put the odds at about 70 percent that it's the former and not the latter.

As fans we always wait with hopes of a "big" hire--and we're usually disappointed. We'll see. What disapponts me is how lame many of our "searches" seem to be. When Summitt retired, we did no search at all--just gave the job to Warlick. Apparently that was PS's wish. saving one of her worst decisions until the end. When Warlick was let go, Fulmer's "search" was superficial and lame as he quickly focused on two former players--one, again, with no head experiernce while the other had failed at her only other major job. When soccer coach Pensky left, White didn't conduct a search: he asked the players who they wanted and then hired a longtime assistant. That is absolutely not how any AD should hire a coach.

I know they sucked this year but she did beat Florida. Just sayin 🤷‍♂️
Any coach has won over 80% of their games over a four year period, and has to be able to get production out of her/his players. I much rather hire a young coach who has that already demonstrated she can win can and proven she knows how to win than coaches who have not won at least 75% of their games against their peers. Have you looked at tapes of the games she has won and lost to determine if she understands what what is required to develop a team rather than a group of individuals running around the court, a team that has is disciplined, skilled in the fundamentals of the game, a team who enjoyed playing the game for their coach and their University, and a team that represents its University with honor and trust? How does she handle uncomfortable situations within the team, the school , and the educational standings of her players. Is she respected by here players, fellow coaches at her University ,fans, and other coaches in her conference? I have not done any of that myself, but I would be surprised if Danny White has not done a complete and thorough investigation of her live and background and their pros and cons of becoming a head coach at my University. White has an amazing record at Tennessee and I trust and applaud him in his history of his decisions at Tennessee. We do not know who he will hire in this recruitment, but I have faith he will pick the best person available for this job.

My first choice would absolutely be Becky Hammon. She's a pioneer in the sport. She reminds me a lot of Pat in that way. She challenges boundaries, and she knows how to win. I also doubt she leaves the WNBA for anything other than the NBA. But IMO, she would be the grand slam of all hires.

My first choice would absolutely be Becky Hammon. She's a pioneer in the sport. She reminds me a lot of Pat in that way. She challenges boundaries, and she knows how to win. I also doubt she leaves the WNBA for anything other than the NBA. But IMO, she would be the grand slam of all hires.
Everyone knows she would be a great coach here but she has her eyes set on becoming a NBA coach. That is the only league she is leaving for so she isn’t a realistic option imo.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Any coach has won over 80% of their games over a four year period, and has to be able to get production out of her/his players. I much rather hire a young coach who has that already demonstrated she can win can and proven she knows how to win than coaches who have not won at least 75% of their games against their peers. Have you looked at tapes of the games she has won and lost to determine if she understands what what is required to develop a team rather than a group of individuals running around the court, a team that has is disciplined, skilled in the fundamentals of the game, a team who enjoyed playing the game for their coach and their University, and a team that represents its University with honor and trust? How does she handle uncomfortable situations within the team, the school , and the educational standings of her players. Is she respected by here players, fellow coaches at her University ,fans, and other coaches in her conference? I have not done any of that myself, but I would be surprised if Danny White has not done a complete and thorough investigation of her live and background and their pros and cons of becoming a head coach at my University. White has an amazing record at Tennessee and I trust and applaud him in his history of his decisions at Tennessee. We do not know who he will hire in this recruitment, but I have faith he will pick the best person available for this job.
I looked at a lot of her box scores with Marshall they always out possession their opponent. In the Va Tech game which they lost by 41 they had 82 possessions to Va Techs 67 plus 15 but only shot 24 percent. 49 points on 82 possessions. Va Tech 92 on 67 possessions. Marshall was picked to finish 9th in their league went 17 and 1. She has a good system going to need some players.

We are all hoping for the 'big splash' hire...whether or not that happens remains to be seen. But whoever it is, it will be an upgrade in at least these areas:
Recruiting
Game flow / substitutions / timeouts
Offensive sets
Box outs
Mental toughness
I don't care where the new coach comes from as long as they've been successful. Success breeds success and I'm sorry to say neither Kellie nor Holly had much prior success as HC. I think Caldwell or Fortier could have that type of success here if they get top notch recruiters and assistants with a much expanded NIL opportunity.

I’m just asking a question. I have no “insider” knowledge. Does it mean anything that Coach Sam is still listed as UT Assistant Coach and besides the post that she can’t reach out to portal kids at the moment, she has continued to tweet as if nothing has happened? Again maybe I missed a tweet. Just a question.

The main thing about Kim that bothers the board is she has only one year of big girl ball right ? Don't know her and just wanting clarity on the issues..I know there are way more coaches out there that have a great winning percentage that we could go after ...Watching some of Caldwells pressors I do enjoy listening to her over Harper.

I get the feel that her name is leaked to stir the pot . And someone else will be hired . It's a great hire or just a so so one ..But putting Stephens name out there makes the so so hire look great when it is announced ..

And tbh, how portal recruiting and retention of our players goes will tell us more about next season than anything, which would have also been true with Kellie.
It will tell us almost everything as right now we look about sixth or seventh in the league so we move up from there with what players we can secure. Post players are the key. She has a fairly good point guard who has one season left average 23 points on 48 percent shooting don't know if she has plans to get in the portal. Other than that we wouldn't be getting anything from Marshall and need a lot of help.

Everyone knows she would be a great coach here but she has her eyes set on becoming a NBA coach. That is the only league she is leaving for so she isn’t a realistic option imo.
Which is what I said, but if I were DW, I'd at least try to sell her on following in the footsteps of the great Pat Summitt. Like I said, I doubt she bites, but you at least make that call. I'm serious when I say I see a lot of Pat's characteristics in her. She's pushing the sport forward, just like Pat did.

We are all hoping for the 'big splash' hire...whether or not that happens remains to be seen. But whoever it is, it will be an upgrade in at least these areas:
Recruiting
Game flow / substitutions / timeouts
Offensive sets
Box outs
Mental toughness
I don't care where the new coach comes from as long as they've been successful. Success breeds success and I'm sorry to say neither Kellie nor Holly had much prior success as HC. I think Caldwell or Fortier could have that type of success here if they get top notch recruiters and assistants with a much expanded NIL opportunity.

what this should say is whoever it is WILL NEED TO BRING an uprgrade in those three areas we can't say they will automatically be successful. Hopefully whoever it is already has relationships with top recruits and can thing them in.

Reactions: spojo13
The main thing about Kim that bothers the board is she has only one year of big girl ball right ? Don't know her and just wanting clarity on the issues..I know there are way more coaches out there that have a great winning percentage that we could go after ...Watching some of Caldwells pressors I do enjoy listening to her over Harper.

I get the feel that her name is leaked to stir the pot . And someone else will be hired . It's a great hire or just a so so one ..But putting Stephens name out there makes the so so hire look great when it is announced ..
NO one has put it out there that I consider really legitimate still would like for the coach at Marshall to deny the reports if it is not true.

It will tell us almost everything as right now we look about sixth or seventh in the league so we move up from there with what players we can secure. Post players are the key. She has a fairly good point guard who has one season left average 23 points on 48 percent shooting don't know if she has plans to get in the portal. Other than that we wouldn't be getting anything from Marshall and need a lot of help.

At that point the posters who talk about money lined up better be right because it will come down to buying people. No elite player is going to entrust their future (they may not evem with money) to someone with such a thin resume.

Exactly . we could easily double or triple her salary in the W which is 1 mill. I don't think she wants to come here if she wants to go to the NBA.

VN Store

Back