Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Caldwell is an incredibly successful, very young coach. She's obviously going to be at a big program soon. I get the name value is low, but I'm not sure the outrage is justified. If there's any truth to it that is.

Being a relative known, announcing Caldwell as the hire would obviously not be the blockbuster hire Lady Vol followers wanted. The reaction would very likely be one of deep disappointment and worry.

But like you said, despite not being a big-name, instant respect and notoriety hire, we would not know until she was on the job a while whether or not she was a good hire or not. You never know! She could catch magic and be the next Great Coach. We simply cannot know what she'd do with more and better resources and facilities.

I do know from reading introductory stories about her from last year that she was open about the learning curve she'd have to face going from a D2 program to D1 Marshall. And while she obviously did extremely well in her first season as a D1 coach, I'd be kinda worried coming to the SEC would be way too much too soon.

I'll be shocked if this rumor turned out to be true. I'm inclined to believe DW knows he's got to spend the money to get a big name Blockbuster hire.

Caldwell is an incredibly successful, very young coach. She's obviously going to be at a big program soon. I get the name value is low, but I'm not sure the outrage is justified. If there's any truth to it that is.
Only one word concerns me:

"Re crew ting"

The separator in our conference

Reactions: Ttucke11
Im starting to get good vibes that we have our coach and this will strategically leak during the biggest audience in women's basketball history tomorrow.

Oh my. If I were a fan of South Carolina or Iowa and that happened, I'd be mad as hell! Lawdy, that sure would be some pretty blantant thunder-stealing there.

HOPE IT'S TRUE! 😂🧡

Only one word concerns me:

"Re crew ting"

The separator in our conference

She seems more personable than Kellie so if she gets the staff .. I think she’ll be aight … potentially great even cuz her record is….. amazing

Final 4 at Cal, Elite 8 this year, elite recruiter (has #1 freshman this year) and #1 recruiting class for 2024. Was assistant coach in NBA. Considered one of the top minds in the game right now.
Okay, I'm just going to quote my previous posts on Gottlieb, so I don't have to type this again:
This is Gottlieb's 14th year coaching and only the second time she had less than 10 losses. 65% winning percentage. She also let JuJu crank up 22 shots a game at a 40% clip, 31.9% on threes; and consistently has a horrible offensive scheme.

Three years at Santa Barbara: mediocre results, and her best year was her first. (Always a bad sign.) Eight seasons at Cal: season two was her best. (See above.) Final four seasons worse than first four seasons. Took over a bad USC team. This year is her first good year.

This is the recency bias. Coaches that have a run that makes them the flavor of the month are almost never great at the next stop.

Reactions: pasadenavol
She seems more personable than Kellie so if she gets the staff .. I think she’ll be aight … potentially great even cuz her record is….. amazing
I’d love to hear how you determined this…honestly. Are there videos or personal anecdotes you can send my way?

Reactions: Smallvol#1

VN Store

Back