Kiffin has a plan to stop fake injuries

Yet again a certain coach rubs everyone's nose in a hot steaming pile of his crap, but you won't hear anyone in the media attack him or challenge him at all about it. Think on that, next time you see yet another article blasting Tennessee or making fun of Tennessee's program and fans.

Reactions: feathersax
give the defense a 15 second play clock that they can send players in and out. If you get caught substituting by the snap after 15 then 5 yard penalty, or result of free play.

Give each team 1 substitution time per quarter. 15 seconds long and the clock works to the advantage of the team with the ball. Either let it run or stop it. Offense has choice.

Either one could work. For the safety of the children.

Who would send their kid to a coach that endorses faking sports injuries?

That’s parking in the blue spot when you’re not qualified.

Just make it so "injured" players have to sit out more than 1 or 2 plays. Make it the rest of that series.
If you are so tired you fake an injury you are being thrown in the briars.

What Character trait best describes someone that would coach a player to fake an injury?

What about the player that’s not faking? The one that’s gets hurt but not injured.

I don’t understand why olayers don’t just loosen their chin strap. When the helmet comes off they have to substitute. Oh wait, they might get hurt.

If you are so tired you fake an injury you are being thrown in the briars.

What Character trait best describes someone that would coach a player to fake an injury?

What about the player that’s not faking? The one that’s gets hurt but not injured.

I don’t understand why olayers don’t just loosen their chin strap. When the helmet comes off they have to substitute. Oh wait, they might get hurt.
Theres video of Heuple waving one of our guys to go down during the Ole Miss game who wasnt going to make it off the field in time.

Players get hurt or are having pain multiple times during a game, but most of them can make it off the field under their own power. Another player checks in and the game goes on, while the player with pain gets checked out on the sideline, taped/retaped, cramps massaged, etc. Many, probably most, of those players re-enter the game as soon as they're cleared and the pain has subsided.

Hurry up offenses make it difficult or impossible to replace defensive players who are injured/in pain but not immobilized, so the only alternative is for those players to fall down and stop play. If you penalize teams for doing that, then players will either stay on the field with pain and a potential injury, or the team draws a penalty based on some arbitrary assessment of whether the player was truly in pain. Pretty soon every team will be running hurry up offenses all game long, because it causes opposing defenses to either play in pain/injured or get repeatedly penalized.

I can see a reasonable solution that helps prevent long injury pauses and still allows the offense to conserve game clock. Since offenses always have the option to substitute during the entire 40 second play clock, give defenses the same option. If the offense is in hurry up mode and the defense is trying to substitute, stop the game clock (but not the play clock) as soon as the offense is lined up and ready to snap the ball. Allow the defense to substitute until up to play clock expires (or maybe until 10 seconds left on the play clock) without penalty, and the offense gets a grace period to reset and snap. Then restart the game clock when the ball is snapped. If a player, either offense or defense, is down on the field and can't get off before the 40 play clock expires, then no penalty is assessed, but make the injured player sit out for 3 or 4 plays.

That allows the offenses to either save time or burn clock as always, but doesn't require officials to get in the business of deciding when a player actually needs to leave the game.

Last edited:
Players get hurt or are having pain multiple times during a game, but most of them can make it off the field under their own power. Another player checks in and the game goes on, while the player with pain gets checked out on the sideline, taped/retaped, cramps massaged, etc. Many, probably most, of those players re-enter the game as soon as they're cleared and the pain has subsided.

Hurry up offenses make it difficult or impossible to replace defensive players who are injured/in pain but not immobilized, so the only alternative is for those players to fall down and stop play. If you penalize teams for doing that, then players will either stay on the field with pain and a potential injury, or the team draws a penalty based on some arbitrary assessment of whether the player was truly in pain. Pretty soon every team will be running hurry up offenses all game long, because it causes opposing defenses to either play in pain/injured or get repeatedly penalized.

I can see a reasonable solution that helps prevent long injury pauses and still allows the offense to conserve game clock. Since offenses always have the option to substitute during the entire 40 second play clock, give defenses the same option. If the offense is in hurry up mode and the defense is trying to substitute, stop the game clock (but not the play clock) as soon as the offense is lined up and ready to snap the ball. Allow the defense to substitute until up to play clock expires (or maybe until 10 seconds left on the play clock) without penalty, and the offense gets a grace period to reset and snap. Then restart the game clock when the ball is snapped. If a player, either offense or defense, is down on the field and can't get off before the 40 play clock expires, then no penalty is assessed, but make the injured player sit out for 3 or 4 plays.

That allows the offenses to either save time or burn clock as always, but doesn't require officials to get in the business of deciding when a player actually needs to leave the game.
That seems like a mess. How does the time keeper know when to start/stop the various clocks? When the first defender steps out of bounds? How does he know the last defender getting subbed, if the defense has 10 guys on the field and forgets does the clock stay paused? You are still going to have flops as the defense tries to changes plays or personel and cant get set in time.

Better to make the injured guy sit out the series. Punishes flops, but doesnt penalize the offense.

Reactions: Danl
That seems like a mess. How does the time keeper know when to start/stop the various clocks? When the first defender steps out of bounds? How does he know the last defender getting subbed, if the defense has 10 guys on the field and forgets does the clock stay paused? You are still going to have flops as the defense tries to changes plays or personel and cant get set in time.

Better to make the injured guy sit out the series. Punishes flops, but doesnt penalize the offense.

I disagree. As I said, many players in pain are able to come back into a game quickly. We just don't notice because they left under their own power and are assessed on the sideline. It's better to give both sides the option to substitute freely than to create a new rule that unilaterally penalizes defense for trying to get a player off the field while giving offenses an opportunity to do so when they deem necessary.

The clock details can be worked out. Have the defensive sideline signal somehow when they're ready for play. If the defense signals ready to play and have 10 guys, that's how they play the down. If they signal ready to play and they have 12, that's a penalty. If they take too much time (more than the allotted 30 or 40 seconds) to signal ready for play, that's delay of game unless they have a player laying on the field. If either side has an injured player who is unable to leave the field by the end of the allowed substitution period, then that player potentially has a more serious injury and is required to sit out for several plays or the rest of the series, or the team must burn a timeout.

Last edited:
I disagree. As I said, many players in pain are able to come back into a game quickly. We just don't notice because they left under their own power and are assessed on the sideline. It's better to give both sides the option to substitute freely than to create a new rule that unilaterally penalizes defense for trying to get a player off the field while giving offenses an opportunity to do so when they deem necessary.

The clock details can be worked out. Have the defensive sideline signal somehow when they're ready for play. If the defense signals ready to play and have 10 guys, that's how they play the down. If they signal ready to play and they have 12, that's a penalty. If they take too much time (more than the allotted 30 or 40 seconds) to signal ready for play, that's delay of game unless they have a player laying on the field. If either side has a player unable to leave the field by the end of the allowed substitution period, then that player potentially has a more serious injury and is required to sit out for several plays or the rest of the series, or the team must burn a timeout.
So instead of a substitution rule punishing only the defense, you want a rule that only punishes the offense. You are essentially giving the defense a 30 second timeout any time they signal a substitution. Games are already too long with too many substitutions you are drastically increasing the down time.

The offense isnt breaking a rule, and they have always determined the tempo of the game. And substitutions by the defense can still happen in an up tempo, they just dont get to do it at a leisurely pace.

Call me old fashioned but if you arent standing there with your helmet on, ready to go in at a moments notice, there is no obligation to wait for you.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Lane just gave a very long, and decent interview on PF. Finebaum baited him to go off on UT, and lane was as nice as could be. Said it was a very small percentage of fans, he never felt in danger, and the players had helmets on. Worth a listen.

So instead of a substitution rule punishing only the defense, you want a rule that only punishes the offense. You are essentially giving the defense a 30 second timeout any time they signal a substitution. Games are already too long with too many substitutions you are drastically increasing the down time.

The offense isnt breaking a rule, and they have always determined the tempo of the game. And substitutions by the defense can still happen in an up tempo, they just dont get to do it at a leisurely pace.

Call me old fashioned but if you arent standing there with your helmet on, ready to go in at a moments notice, there is no obligation to wait for you.

The problem isn't just getting a helmet-in-hand defensive replacement on the field. It's recognizing the situation, getting a player in pain off the field and then getting a replacement on the field in 10 seconds or less. It sounds like you're saying if we don't change the rules in favor of hurry up offenses, then we're punishing hurry up offenses. Yes, offense has always determined the tempo, but defenses have always had a fallback option to get players off the field without penalty; if the offense is in hurry up and you're injured or in pain, fall down. That's the old fashioned way. Now some hurry up teams are saying we should change the rules to take away that option and add a punitive element for defensive substitutions. I'm fine with the old fashioned status quo, but if we're going to change the rules I'd prefer an approach that doesn't punish either side.

What I proposed wouldn't punish any offense. It wouldn't allow the defense to call a 30 second time out, i.e., stop the game clock. If the offense wants the game clock to run, it continues to run. If the offense wants to conserve clock they could do so by lining up quickly (which would stop the clock if the defense wasn't ready). They could still run a two minute drill, or run 90 or 100 offensive plays in a game if they desire, depending on how quickly their defense can get off the field. What it would do is avoid a new rule that punishes defense when a player has a minor injury or a cramp. It simply gives both sides the same ability to substitute. I think it's a good compromise, offense still controls how they manage game clock while both sides can substitute when necessary. But, no rule change is fine with me too, just rather not come up with new ways to punish defenses.

Reactions: IluvdoubleD's
Theres video of Heuple waving one of our guys to go down during the Ole Miss game who wasnt going to make it off the field in time.
Yeah, but he was actually injured, thats why he wasn't going to make it off the field in time. He couldn't run. I think that is different than faking an injury.

Kiffin’s simple little brain doesn’t think about the injury to Corral in 4th Qtr that obviously was legit. Under his plan, Corral would be out longer than 1 play and in my opinion would unnecessarily impact the outcome of the game. I’d be all for it in that situation vs the Vols but won’t want Tenn QB being out in last 5 minutes cause he tweaked his ankle or had breath knocked out of him. Coaches will not agree to not being able to play their best players with the game on the line.

And the not so surprising thing is that he answered that question when confronted with it as though he didn’t have the slightest idea that the reporter was deliberately singling him out for it. He missed his calling as a politician.

And the not so surprising thing is that he answered that question when confronted with it as though he didn’t have the slightest idea that the reporter was deliberately singling him out for it. He missed his calling as a politician.
Kiffin is so full of 💩 his eyes are brown. He knows exactly what he did and what the game plan was to slow UT’s offense down. It’s legal at the moment because the refs don’t have a way to police it. But I think that changes in the off-season.

You get up to 6 injury time outs per game, after you use 6 you must use your regular time outs. Once you're out of both 5 yard delay of game per event.
Injury time outs require the player to leave the game, and are considered in the TV scheduling for play stoppages (commercials)
If players from both teams go down, no TO charged.

VN Store

Back