Kiffin article about UT; front page ESPN

They had a chance to beat Alabama that day and came up short. I believe tame Lane isn't as good as 2009 Lane, he was a players coach and knew how to get his kids motivated

Yep The Normally Great Tennessee Kicking Game was awful. That game was won! Monte Kiffin's game plan with Eric Berry's Major role was nothing short of Genius. Saban said that.

Reactions: Vol8188
Pretty impressive that a 1-2 team gets that kind of exposure on the ESPN site. What's the motive? Pressure Pruitt? Embarrass UT? Reunite the fans with Kiffin if things don't work out with Pruitt and/or Fulmer? I don't think Kiffin will ever return to the Hill, especially with Phil on campus, but who would have ever thought the things that have happened with UT Football over the past decade would EVER happen? Certainly not me....

I like the energy Kiffin brought to UT that year. The overall results were kinda meh (7-6), but at least we were competitive with FL and Bama... I think we were all worried he would bring NCAA investigations to UT and he wasn't worth the potential outcome. So many 'what if' thoughts around the Kiffin era.
I think it shows that even in a dysfunctional state, we're a big brand. This is reason I think if we can start scraping off the bottom and get some momentum, we'll elevate pretty fast. That being said, we can't seem to get out of pit row to get in the race.

I'd forgotten that we were 30 point underdogs to Florida that year. And people want to blame Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch for our downfall? Hmmmm

Hiring Kiffin was the low point in the history of the program. We're still paying the price for it. If I never hear or see the name again it will be too soon.
I wish I could agree with you. IMO, the low point in the history of the program was 8/31/19. It's gotten worse since Kiffin was hired/fired, or even since Dooley was hired/fired for that matter.

I had forgotten about Ole Miss absolutely destroying us. That team won 7 and I think everybody agrees that was overachieving. Probably had 4 or 5 win talent level.

I broke my right leg in 18 places that day.

I remember being on a gurney and asking hospital staff for scoring updates. They didn’t want to make my really bad day worse.

I’ve never been the same since that injury, and neither have my Vols.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
They had a chance to beat Alabama that day and came up short. I believe tame Lane isn't as good as 2009 Lane, he was a players coach and knew how to get his kids motivated
Enough to not beat UCLA 1st and goal at the 1 yard line and get trashed by Ole Miss.

Reactions: AM64
Living in Florida, that season was the most fun I've had down here as a UT fan. Florida fans were terrified of what he could do in Knoxville, and Kiffin was on ESPN twice a week to reinforce their worst fears. LOL Yeah, that was fun, I'd take him back in a heartbeat but he'll have to reconcile with Layla first.

I think Kiffin would have been very successful at UT because of his rock star status with the players because that's all they care about these days but I do think that time has passed and that he is not the young cool coach anymore. I think that Kiffin coming back would be a disaster because of the high expectations. I could see him doing ok at a place like Arkansas or Mizzo. And he would be UT every time because that how we do these days. The black cloud never goes away.

No matter what, the things that have happened to UT over the last 15 years has just about killed the program for a very long time. I think Pruitt is a very good coach but he needs players and I don't care how nice the facilities are, kids aren't wanting to come here because we are a loser laughing stock program. You are only as good as your players.

Reactions: Vol8188 and VFL10
When we hired him, I didn't like the hire. Honestly, I didn't even know who he was.

Hamilton came out and said that he knew CLK was going to do some things that were going to be secondary violations. He said they had talked about it and Hamilton Ok'ed some of those things that were said/done to get Tennessee's name back out there. There would not have been probation or big time trouble.

I think USC would have paid (even) big money to buy out Kiffin's contract had Hamilton had $2-3 million buyout clause.

Also, I think we would have had better teams but I also do not think we would have had any championships with him here. He did have and would have had great recruits and coaches and would have won several games but that is about it.

Enough to not beat UCLA 1st and goal at the 1 yard line and get trashed by Ole Miss.
The ole miss game was an awful showing, Monte's defense got demolished that day. I give him a pass on UCLA because Crompton was still developing

I can't believe this was 10 years ago... The excitement around the program when Kiffin was here was something I haven't seen since. He made Tennessee believe in itself, from the players to the fans. That 2009 team had more fire than any of Butch, Dooley, or Pruitt's teams combined. We had an edge and I would do anything to see this years team play with that edge. Part of what is so hard to take about our recent teams and struggles is that we have seemed defeated as a fanbase and culture before we step on the field. The Kiffin year showed me a spark on and off the field that I have been craving since. I remember eating supper with ESPN on in the background and seeing Lane's face show up on the screen with the USC announcement and my heart dropped. And I genuinely feel like since then, there hasn't been any heart in the program. You can say what you want about Hamilton, Currie, Butch, Schiano, Pruitt, whoever... but I blame Kiffin more than anyone for the current state of our beloved Vols. And I'd do anything to get back to the mentality that the 2009 team had.
USC was the one team, the only team he leaves for, just can't blame him for leaving. Its like if one of us was offered the Tenn job while employed elsewhere, we'd take the job in a second.
I was very upset at the time but most of us would have done the same imo..

Crazy that 10 years have gone by since Kiffin was at UT. Personally I loved the brashness and cockiness he brought, it was a great departure from the gum chewing and hand clapping of the current AD.

I broke my right leg in 18 places that day.

I remember being on a gurney and asking hospital staff for scoring updates. They didn’t want to make my really bad day worse.

I’ve never been the same since that injury, and neither have my Vols.
Damn... That loss doesn't seem so bad now.

get over it.

$5 says he wouldn't have lost to GA State...
Big spender. And **** off with the getting over shizz. He had a Butch Jones season and inherited a much better team than what Jones left behind. He was a young, promising coach but he had some stubborn fails. Dropped two future starting QBs and set us up with Matt Simms. Ran the ball 4 straight times against UCLA...stubbornness. The Ole Miss game was a total coaching fail and the beginning of his daddy’s descent. Wasn’t a failure in his one season but he also wasn’t this messiah some of you have built up either.

Kiffin did us wrong and caused a lot of damage in the process. I do not blame him for today though because the dumb@ss UT administration has had a decade to clean this mess up. What Lane did was expose just how dumb the UT AD and university leadership as a whole really are.

I don't think Kiffin is the same kind of coach now and not nearly as effective. I would not like him back except to work with our QBs.

VN Store

Back