Keys to beating Purdue

1. Limit fouls as much as possible against Edey. If team is playing Cade Phillips we're in trouble.
2. Defend better guarding 3 pointers. If Edey goes for 40 points is one thing but I'll die if another white Purdue guard goes for 30 points.
3. Obvious but hit open shots at decent clip from 3 (~34%).
4. Balanced scoring and if all else fails Knecht going supernova
5. Limit turnovers on the offensive end.
6. Don't let Jones or Loyer beat them.
7. Stay even on the glass.

Edey shoots free throws at a staggering rate. The other great non-conference big men we played this year in Bacot and Dickinson combined shot fewer free throws than Edey.

It's especially ridiculous when he regularly lowers his shoulder and puts his defender in the first row but never gets called for it.
jonas needs to do some huge flops when he drops that shoulder

He usually gets hacked low after getting by with displacing defenders to get down in the paint usually after 6-7 seconds in the lane.
Correct. Both can be true. He gets fouled a lot and he gets away with a lot(meaning he doesn’t get called for stuff and he gets whistles that aren’t fouls.)

It will come down to how we shoot the ball. I have zero doubt our suffocating defense will stifle them. I just hope we make enough shots to win the game - that includes free throws. I’d bet the Vols to cover.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Win the rebound battle and attack on offense
Nah. That won't do it. Remember, this is Purdue in Detroit with the protected one....Edey. This will take that game where it all comes together as a team....on both ends. By that, I mean we need Knect and ZZ to be their best selves PLUS we have to get JJJ and Aidoo doing the same. Odds of that happening? Then between Mashack, Gainey and what's left of Vecscovi we'll likely need 15-20 pts and incredible defense between the 3 of them. In other words, with what's on the line, you're not going to catch Purdue napping. It will take the best game we're capable of on both ends of the floor. This is not a game I see being favorable to Aidoo, Gainey and Vescovi. Hitching a wagon to those 3 is russian roulette on hardwood. Still, this roster, while quite good, isn't on a level of UConn or Purdue. We've had a spectacular season, IMO. Personally, I never dreamed a team that had so many no show players could possibly string together the wins necessary to make the Elite 8. Had the bracket opened up for us, I'd have a bit loftier hopes today, but it didn't so if the run ends here, so be it. I'll remember this team warmly....warts and all. They've reached their ceiling. Can they break through? Certainly, but if they don't, I certainly won't hold it against them.

It will come down to how we shoot the ball. I have zero doubt our suffocating defense will stifle them. I just hope we make enough shots to win the game - that includes free throws. I’d bet the Vols to cover.
No one is going to "stifle" Edey. If they manage to hold him under 30, it would be spectacular. Every team can have an "off day" shooting. Might be Purdue's turn? Even then, they have Edey and we don't. Big, big advantage to the Boilermakers.

No one is going to "stifle" Edey. If they manage to hold him under 30, it would be spectacular. Every team can have an "off day" shooting. Might be Purdue's turn? Even then, they have Edey and we don't. Big, big advantage to the Boilermakers.
IMG_3495.pngThis is type of game it would take to win. Edey getting his 28 points but their guards are stifled.

I said we’d stifle Purdue as a whole. Watch.

Reactions: WhiteMike81
Need to force them to initiate offense with Edey pushed up from the paint. He needs to catch deep to force the double a triple teams for quick kick outs to the wing. We are VERY good at this, but is the tough version of Aidoo coming today? We also want to turn them over, another strength. Wisconsin, Nebraska, OSU, and Northwester all did so in their 4 loses this season.

We also want to draw him out and run when possible, IMO. They do have a weird zone(ish) D they have pulled out a few times to slow tempo. Wisconsin had success in the Big 10 tourney attacking the basket. Obviously, we would like to get Edey in foul trouble, but that sure is hard to do! I can’t imagine they get to the line like they did in our first game this year, but who knows. They got 48 last game.

Makes me super happy to have DK fully settled for this one and ZZ at full strength. Gonna be a great game! 🍊🍊🍊

Snipers in the stands. High powered water, guns sprayed on their sneakers while they’re running, should make their plant foot unstable and cause them to get a walk foul.
Smart plan except the refs showed against Creighton that they don't like to call walks.

Edey is going to get his when he is on the court. There's no way to stop him, so we just need to attack him offensively and get him in foul trouble. We take him off the court for a good portion of the game and stop everyone else for Purdue, and then we have a good chance.

We also can't have another game where our starters are shooting 30% from the field and 20% from three for most of the game. That has happened for long stretches way too often this year.

Reactions: ptcarter
Barnes will have them ready. Earlier this year, Lurch fouled out Aidoo and Awaka. He also put 4 fouls on Estella and Phillips. That’s ridiculous. I also wonder how many times this year a ref has had the guts to call 3 seconds on him. My guess is not many if at all. It’s a shame that sometimes players get a different set of rules although I can’t remember them ever calling 3 seconds on anyone this year. Did that rule go away? Anyhow, if Lurch can stand directly in front of the rim and stay there till he gets the ball, there’s no defense for that. Maybe the old “pull the chair out” play where you let him shoulder you once and when he starts again you move out of the way and let him fly into the basket support. Ha! It would be a good game to still have Plavics. I think we are going to need to hit 3s to win because refs won’t call fouls on Lurch if we drive in there.

The three second, traveling, and carrying the ball rules have left the barn and are looooooong gone, never to be seen again.

Reactions: Starchief13VFL
5. Limit turnovers on the offensive end.
6. Don't let Jones or Loyer beat them.
7. Stay even on the glass.

Exactly. Chase them off the 3 pt. line and make them settle for tough 2's all day, and don't allow second chance points is the way to limit any big runs, even if the goon gets his. Offensively, just shoot our average from 3, and take the ball right at the goon and force him to make plays. This game is very winnable, but it will take the best that we have.

VN Store

Back