Keyen Green to play, start PhD at Tennessee

kamoshika

The graduate transfer made the decision early on to return to Tennessee for the 2021-22 season. She also will pursue a doctorate degree while playing basketball. “It was kind of a no-brainer for me,” Green said. “I was thinking if I didn’t have a job set up at the end of the year or an internship, why would I pass up free education? I am going to be starting my PhD in the fall and it’s getting paid for, so it was really not even a question.” She graduated in May with a master’s degree from the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications and will pursue a PhD in leadership studies.

“What an unbelievable opportunity for her and what an unbelievable opportunity for us to have that experience,” Tennessee Coach Kellie Harper said. “That is something special. Coming out of this COVID year, we have an opportunity for an athlete to pursue a PhD. How remarkable is that? Also, it just shows you what kind of person and high achiever she is.”

...She is just four months into what is typically a nine-month rehab, so Green will use this summer to get ready for next season. “I am taking it day by day,” Green said. “Going into this break, I am at a pretty good spot. I feel good. I’m strong. I am getting back to weightlifting and doing a little bit more functional movements. I will be at a point where I can shoot stationary shots, I need to get my free throw percentage up consistently and work on my touch around the basket in what I can do since I won’t be able to move a whole lot. I can shoot set shots all around and then when I can add the jumping back in, I can do that. It’s going to be a lot of repetition, a lot of free throws, ball-handling. It’s going to be a lot of those technical things to tune up.”

The graduate transfer made the decision early on to return to Tennessee for the 2021-22 season. She also will pursue a doctorate degree while playing basketball. “It was kind of a no-brainer for me,” Green said. “I was thinking if I didn’t have a job set up at the end of the year or an internship, why would I pass up free education? I am going to be starting my PhD in the fall and it’s getting paid for, so it was really not even a question.” She graduated in May with a master’s degree from the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications and will pursue a PhD in leadership studies.

“What an unbelievable opportunity for her and what an unbelievable opportunity for us to have that experience,” Tennessee Coach Kellie Harper said. “That is something special. Coming out of this COVID year, we have an opportunity for an athlete to pursue a PhD. How remarkable is that? Also, it just shows you what kind of person and high achiever she is.”

...She is just four months into what is typically a nine-month rehab, so Green will use this summer to get ready for next season. “I am taking it day by day,” Green said. “Going into this break, I am at a pretty good spot. I feel good. I’m strong. I am getting back to weightlifting and doing a little bit more functional movements. I will be at a point where I can shoot stationary shots, I need to get my free throw percentage up consistently and work on my touch around the basket in what I can do since I won’t be able to move a whole lot. I can shoot set shots all around and then when I can add the jumping back in, I can do that. It’s going to be a lot of repetition, a lot of free throws, ball-handling. It’s going to be a lot of those technical things to tune up.”

Bravo!

Reactions: Rickster and Lucy

It is a great opportunity for Keyen and probably the biggest challenge of her life so far. A UT PhD is no small or easy thing.

I know this is an old thread now, but it seriously gives me goosebumps to know that Keyen is going to go after her Ph.D. That will be tough to do while also playing major D1 basketball at a high level, but I have no doubt Keyen will excel.

My question is whether she might want to come back and be a graduate assistant after next season. Wouldn’t that give her another year’s tuition toward that Ph.D?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I know this is an old thread now, but it seriously gives me goosebumps to know that Keyen is going to go after her Ph.D. That will be tough to do while also playing major D1 basketball at a high level, but I have no doubt Keyen will excel.

She will be doing so much research that she won't have a life outside the program.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

My question is whether she might want to come back and be a graduate assistant after next season. Wouldn’t that give her another year’s tuition toward that Ph.D?
didn't Korney Dunbar do that by going to Vandy?

VN Store

Back