Key & Saunders: Future Twin Towers?

creekdipper

No, they're not towers by way of giants at Oregon State, Baylor, etc. But they do have good size and seem to love to play defense. Mulkey wrote an interesting "signing off" last page column in the latest SI (the Tiger Woods Master's issue) talking about how a lot of young players don't want (or care) much for playing defense. She mentioned that if that was what people meant by "old school," she'd take it...since it kept them winning, even when Cox went down in the championship game.

Love to see both Emily and Tamari blossom under the tutelage of Kasi and Mimi (and the post coaching of Jon) and emerge as a real presence in the lane for the next four years.

image_handler.aspx

image_handler.aspx

Last edited:
What I like about them as basketball players is the length they have tall with long arms should relate in strong defensive play defending the basket. Both have the length minus the basketball skills at this point in their development of Candace Parker. The right coaches can develop these players into great defenders and double double performers every game they play. Saunders already commented about being in weight training this season and increasing that this summer. I don't know about Key's weight training but she is very athletic and really has a huge upside over any center I saw in the McDonald's All Star game.

^ Agree about the huge upside. Tamari is better known, of course, and I also liked what Emily's high school coach had to say about her unselfish play and her preference for defense while saying that she could take over a game when she wanted to.

According to scouting reports, both players rebound and outlet pass well and are quick to get into transition. I hope both of them become good friends and push and support each other throughout their careers.

No, they're not towers by way of giants at Oregon, Baylor, etc. But they do have good size and seem to love to play defense. Mulkey wrote an interesting "signing off" last page column in the latest SI (the Tiger Woods Master's issue) talking about how a lot of young players don't want (or care) much for playing defense. She mentioned that if that was what people meant by "old school," she'd take it...since it kept them winning, even when Cox went down in the championship game.

Love to see both Emily and Tamari blossom under the tutelage of Kasi and Mimi (and the post coaching of Jon) and emerge as a real presence in the lane for the next four years.

image_handler.aspx

image_handler.aspx
I wish Tennessee could sign a 6'10'' to 7'0'' foot tall center:rolleyes:

Reactions: Remy and RollerVol
I also remember someone posting a video of Saunders shooting from the outside...she was making 3 after 3. Of course there was no defense on her, but it seems she can shoot and that is not something we have seen from our bigs since Candace Parker.

Tall, long arms.... We have had this combo off and on (more on) for some years now. Tell me (I don't know) are these two quick and fairly fast? The "bigs" we have had lately have not been very quick and have not shown much speed (if it was there). That has been, to me, a big difference in our inside play and that of other teams who seem to be better than us. Speed has been a little deficient or maybe team has been a little lazy lately, can win in the women's game without it (I don't think).

Tall, long arms.... We have had this combo off and on (more on) for some years now. Tell me (I don't know) are these two quick and fairly fast? The "bigs" we have had lately have not been very quick and have not shown much speed (if it was there). That has been, to me, a big difference in our inside play and that of other teams who seem to be better than us. Speed has been a little deficient or maybe team has been a little lazy lately, can win in the women's game without it (I don't think).

Speed is good for a forward, but not necessarily for a post. Baylor just won with Kalani Brown playing inside, and she's pretty slow. She's also pretty unstoppable in the paint. Contrast that to someone like Nelson from UConn or Hebbard from Oregon who are fast, but will be buried inside by stronger posts.

I think Kushkituah is the key post player for Tennessee next season because when she's playing well, she is very difficult to move from her spot. Key is tall, but lanky. She looks like she will be good scoring in transition, but not in a half court set. She will probably struggle to get/maintain post position until she puts on a little bit more mass. Saunders looks like she has more of a sturdy "5" physique, but might need a few years to develop. Kushkituah needs to be the answer in the paint for the next two years.

I also remember someone posting a video of Saunders shooting from the outside...she was making 3 after 3. Of course there was no defense on her, but it seems she can shoot and that is not something we have seen from our bigs since Candace Parker.
Heck yeah, I love a big who can knock down the unexpected three now and then. I mean, if every player onthe court has tge potential to hit threes, that sure does open up a lot of scoring options!

Speed is good for a forward, but not necessarily for a post. Baylor just won with Kalani Brown playing inside, and she's pretty slow. She's also pretty unstoppable in the paint. Contrast that to someone like Nelson from UConn or Hebbard from Oregon who are fast, but will be buried inside by stronger posts.

I think Kushkituah is the key post player for Tennessee next season because when she's playing well, she is very difficult to move from her spot. Key is tall, but lanky. She looks like she will be good scoring in transition, but not in a half court set. She will probably struggle to get/maintain post position until she puts on a little bit more mass. Saunders looks like she has more of a sturdy "5" physique, but might need a few years to develop. Kushkituah needs to be the answer in the paint for the next two years.

Yes, Kasi finally showed in the last game of the year what she could be if she'll just get to her spot, take her time and finish. If they can get her in a little better shape, get her to keep the ball high and work on her defense she'll be a huge asset next season.

Also, FT shooting, she has a knack for getting to the line because her arms are long and she gets hit on the shot, but she has got to improve her FT shooting. She could average almost double figures from the line alone next season if she bring her FT % up to 75%.

What I like about them as basketball players is the length they have tall with long arms should relate in strong defensive play defending the basket. Both have the length minus the basketball skills at this point in their development of Candace Parker. The right coaches can develop these players into great defenders and double double performers every game they play. Saunders already commented about being in weight training this season and increasing that this summer. I don't know about Key's weight training but she is very athletic and really has a huge upside over any center I saw in the McDonald's All Star game.

Hopefully Coach Harper will rehire Kyra Elzy back from Kentucky to develop the LV basketball defense. Elzy is the best defensive coach in women's basketball. She did not get along with Coach Harley Warlick on serious matters concerning the play of the LV basketball team. Consequently Warlick "forced" Elzy to resign and move on. She is well paid at Kentucky, but she is well worth any amount of money to coach defense.

What I like most about this isn't even that she can shoot and make the three. It's that she's in the gym, just her and her friend, getting shots up on her own time. That's the kind of players we need.
Yes indeed...Lou has a nice 3pt shot as well...if we still get Rennie, she will add to all of this...spread the lanes and let the guards drive & kick, dish or take the layup...could be a lot of fun next season...👍🧡🏀

I am so excited to finally have some big, tall girls down low! We missed that tremendously this year!

Reactions: lvocd
nice...maybe they can play a little defense too...something we haven't seen in a while...:D:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: dtnvol
Two very lovely young ladies.......

Looks like the 3 ball will finally been in play at TBA.

VN Store

Back