Keon Johnson Declares for NBA Draft

Once Walker enters the portal, arguably our best recruiting class in history actually hurt our program. We have nothing left to build on from this recruiting year. And this past years team significantly under achieved, IMO. What a disappointment.

They drafted more. But were they able to keep as many players under contract?

They drafted more? The NBA draft has been 2 rounds since 1989. Stick to what you know man.

Also its extremely rare for a top 10 pick to be sent to the G League. It happened this year with the Suns first rounder, but that is not the norm at all. This all has zero bearing on why Keon is a top 10 pick.

Good luck but am I missing something? I know both kids are high rated draft picks and I don't blame them for going for the money but where does these evaluations come from? If they can't get pass Oregon State how are they going to contribute to the NBA so young? I'm clueless I guess.
He's really good at basketball. In case you haven't noticed. 😄

Once Walker enters the portal, arguably our best recruiting class in history actually hurt our program. We have nothing left to build on from this recruiting year. And this past years team significantly under achieved, IMO. What a disappointment.
ehhh I wouldn't say having 2 1st round picks hurt us. It helps us in recruiting. We have a thing called the transfer portal that will help replace losses. We will be fine.

Clueless is probably harsh. Uninformed is perhaps more accurate, but that's not really anything to be ashamed of as it relates to the subject because it really is nonsensical in the idea that what the average person sees with their eyes doesn't necessarily equate or match up to their draft stock and professional opinions.

Both guys, on paper, and on the floor, looked like above average college basketball players. They showed flashes but as much, or more, they showed glaring holes. The NBA believes they can fix their issues, and will draft them where the consensus of GMs, scouts, and coaches believe they need to in order to land them based solely on potential, projection, and the belief that they can build on their strengths and fix or mask their deficiencies. Like the baseball draft, the NBA draft is so varying on success relative to draft position because so much of it has to do with projecting kids at 18 and 19 years old, which is a difficult thing to do.
Very well said

They drafted more? The NBA draft has been 2 rounds since 1989. Stick to what you know man.

Also its extremely rare for a top 10 pick to be sent to the G League. It happened this year with the Suns first rounder, but that is not the norm at all. This all has zero bearing on why Keon is a top 10 pick.

I guess you missed the part where I ASKED if more spots were available to have players under contract but you had to make a smart assed reply anyway.

When did I challenge why Keon will probably be a top 10 pick? I doubt that he will be assigned to a practice roster unless he is drafted by a team that is overflowing with better players at his spot.

As a Vol I wish these two all the best. Hopefully the NBA will make them rich young men. They both seem to be level headed enough to handle it.

Reactions: BigDave
Seeing Tennessee players going in the draft should do nothing but help our stock with draftable players in the future. Plus 1st rounds become guaranteed multi-millionaires overnight and get to stay on the main roster.

Selfishly I hate to see them both go. Big picture, it will be huge for the program, and future elite level prospects, to hear players names from The University of Tennessee called in the first round.

Reactions: Maxwell865
I guess you missed the part where I ASKED if more spots were available to have players under contract but you had to make a smart assed reply anyway.

When did I challenge why Keon will probably be a top 10 pick? I doubt that he will be assigned to a practice roster unless he is drafted by a team that is overflowing with better players at his spot.

You have insinuated Keon being picked so highly and being ready is somehow tied to increased roster spots. Well NBA teams were allowed to carry 12 roster spots starting in the 50s. It jumped to 13 in the mid 2000s, and then 15 total, but only 13 could dress. Due to Covid, it has been upped to 15 allowed to dress on game night, but you can carry 17 if the other 2 are on 2 way deals. But those won't apply to your first round picks since your first round picks are NBA guaranteed.

You have insinuated Keon being picked so highly and being ready is somehow tied to increased roster spots. Well NBA teams were allowed to carry 12 roster spots starting in the 50s. It jumped to 13 in the mid 2000s, and then 15 total, but only 13 could dress. Due to Covid, it has been upped to 15 allowed to dress on game night, but you can carry 17 if the other 2 are on 2 way deals. But those won't apply to your first round picks since your first round picks are NBA guaranteed.

I didn’t insinuate any such thing about Keon. He’s a probable lottery pick and his situation has nothing to do with having extra room to stash a player.

Yes. How many spots did NBA teams use to have before practice rosters and the D/G league? Now players can be drafted and locked down by organizations while they are given time to mature.
They drafted more. But were they able to keep as many players under contract?
I didn’t insinuate any such thing about Keon. He’s a probable lottery pick and his situation has nothing to do with having extra room to stash a player.

I would certainly call those 2 responses insinuation of why his draft stock is high.

Best of luck to the kid. Proud to call him a Tennessee Vol

With that being said, if Walker wasn't a lock to transfer before, then I believe is he now. All his recruiting class is leaving to go to the NBA so he is the odd man out in more ways than one.

But the 4 is wide open right now, and there is opportunity for him there. I can't see him leaving unless Barnes wants him to.

We might have two lottery picks for the first time I assume since Ernie and Bernie. That's a great thing to point to in recruiting.

Two lottery picks and can't get out of the 1st round of the NCAA's??

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm?" eh Coach Barnes!
I imagine this year's Kentucky team will have several NBA players, and they had a losing record.

Barnes deserves criticism, but jeez, the lengths some of y'all will go to paint him as an awful coach is incredible

It sucks for our program but it also DOESNT suck for our program... I hope one and dones attract other top talent that may not be 1-done. Sad tho, would love to see him in the college game longer.

And so we say farewell to another great talent that was not going to stick around for very along at any school. I certainly hope he does well, but in the annals of Tennessee basketball he will ultimately be a well-regarded footnote more than a significant contributor. Or, in other words, every single class at Kentucky since 2010.

VN Store

Back