Kentucky post game thoughts.

That Kentucky team is a Final 4 team. They have 2 guards who can penetrate and create. They have one deadly 3 pt shooter and a few others who are capable. They have athletic bigs and the best rebounder in college. They can play half court or transition full court. Different from many recent Kentucky teams they actually take reasonably good shots.

They aren’t consistent defensively but could beat anyone in a one and done. Built to go far come tournament time, unfortunately.

Reactions: ArdentVol
And does anyone really think Kennedy Chandler is ready for the NBA?? After watching the last few games, I'd say another year of college ball would do him good............

The NBA drafts on potential, not really college accomplishments. If he goes to the NBA he'd be practicing and playing against other NBA players and getting NBA coaching a year sooner than he would otherwise. He also would start his clock towards a second contract faster. That's the contract that gives you generational wealth.

Reactions: LibertyVol
And does anyone really think Kennedy Chandler is ready for the NBA?? After watching the last few games, I'd say another year of college ball would do him good............

He’ll get to work on his game more in the NBA. There’s not a lot that he’ll gain with another year in college… lots of minutes in not empty gyms I suppose.

It’s possible that he’s not even going to keep up his class work this semester.

Nope, but he is gone regardless. He can work on his game in the NBA and has skill set to improve. But he has along way to go before he contributes and earns minutes on a NBA team. Physically he would be bullied. Springer had ready made NBA body and has barely played. Keon is an athletic freak and is getting more time recently but still has to improve his perimeter a ton in order to have a sustained NBA career.

I don’t know what has to change, but something does. I would mix up the starting lineup against Vanderbilt. BHH showed a lot tonight, granted it was in garbage time but looked so much better. We just need a jolt somewhere.

I’d think about going with this lineup next game.

ZZ
Chandler
Vescovi
JJJ
BHH

Something different has to be done. We’re getting nothing from ORN or Fulky.

Maybe Mashack instead of Chandler. Make Chandler watch someone who likes to play defense.

Maybe Mashack instead of Chandler. Make Chandler watch someone who likes to play defense.

I feel like Chandler is a bit fragile right now and sitting him down might damage his confidence. I don’t think that his effort isn’t there. I think that he’s having a hard time adjusting to the higher level of competition. I wish that the season was longer. He might not reach his potential in just 32 games.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I really hope so. I can’t remember another player quite like JJJ. One minute he’s wowing us and the next, he leaves us scratching our heads.
I’m not gonna dog the guy but he is probably the most frustrating Vol, that I can think of.
GBO!!
Robert Hubbs immediately comes to mind.

Or #BSH. Bring Stephen Pearl home with dad as Co head coach. That way both parties could still save face. Bruce might let go of his ego to see his son succeed. We know it would really be Bruce coaching.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people take this stuff so personally they literally can not see what you suggest. Clearly JJJ is a great asset to this team. Rebounds, plays great defense, and handle the ball etc. My own brother is so put out with Vescovi and we've had that discussion a few times. After I kinda lay it out statically he'll relent. Some folks just take their frustrations out on one player no matter what and just wait for that player to miss a crucial shot etc and lambast them.

Yep, that's called a driveby fan.

I think the variety of different lineups and combinations does not relate to great basketball. Pick out eight or nine guys without multiple substitutions of the starting five. See how they play and always be willing to give another guy a chance down the line when a guy is not getting it done. Right now I like Oke and Hatfield inside with Ziegler, Chandler, and Vescovi to start the game. Off the bench sixth man James, Mashack, Fulkerson, and Plavsic. Let's see what they do with guys like Powell, Bailey, Aidoo, and Diboundje getting an opportunity for minutes when or if the other guys fail in their play. I think we saw some ugly lineups in several games here lately. You have to try and keep your best five in and when they need a rest your next best three or four in there. I don't see the point of having three or four starters on the bench at the same time.

I’m good with bringing Fulkerson or Olivier off the bench to see how they respond the next few games. Just not getting much of anything from either of them. Way too much inconsistency.
That last sentence has been the main thing last 2 and 1/2 yrs. Starts with Barnes.

He seems more ready than the 2 we had last season. But Chandler has been inconsistent and worse free throw shooter as a TN pg that I can remember.

Against Vandy, why not try BHH and PLAV starting with KC, Vescovi, and Mashack?

See how that may turn out.
Not sure Plavi should start, but there can be little doubt that our fortunes this season are tied directly to BHH. If he continues playing so few minutes and Barnes continues to continue status quo, this season will probably see us at 17-18 wins and a first round exit.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
He seems more ready than the 2 we had last season. But Chandler has been inconsistent and worse free throw shooter as a TN pg that I can remember.
He may cost Tennessee a game down the stretch if he does not get better. Barnes should consider pulling him out late in the game with a small lead.

I think a lot of people take this stuff so personally they literally can not see what you suggest. Clearly JJJ is a great asset to this team. Rebounds, plays great defense, and handle the ball etc. My own brother is so put out with Vescovi and we've had that discussion a few times. After I kinda lay it out statically he'll relent. Some folks just take their frustrations out on one player no matter what and just wait for that player to miss a crucial shot etc and lambast them.
Any Vescovi hate is irrational - he’s been our most consistent player on both ends of the court. He also appears to be playing closer to his athletic potential than anyone else on the team. JMO

I feel like Chandler is a bit fragile right now and sitting him down might damage his confidence. I don’t think that his effort isn’t there. I think that he’s having a hard time adjusting to the higher level of competition. I wish that the season was longer. He might not reach his potential in just 32 games.

What you're saying is a good point, and it points to another issue: The one and done. I think Barnes is a player development coach. It does him and us no good to bring in a one and done freshman and watch him struggle and fail to mesh his only year in the program, then get drafted base on potential, and the effort is wasted. I wish Barnes would go back to the 4 star recruits and do what he does best, develop them and keep them in the program long enough for them to contribute to winning. But he might be too old for that now to pay off, as well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Any Vescovi hate is irrational - he’s been our most consistent player on both ends of the court. He also appears to be playing closer to his athletic potential than anyone else on the team. JMO
I wouldn’t term it “hate” by any stretch of the word but I agree SV has been a rock of consistency among inconsistency for sure. It may not come across on TV but in person his body is in such better condition than before it’s amazing. He’s have a very solid year!

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back