Kentucky Parking Recommendations

Does anyone have any good parking recommendations for Kentucky? We’ll be going to the game and have never been to a game there.
I live in Lexington so I’ll probably just Uber to the game, but There are some parking garages near downtown, somewhat close to the stadium, that you can park in for free. Other than that, there are some homes on Richmond and Nicholasville road that let people park on their lawns for $25-30.

Does anyone have any good parking recommendations for Kentucky? We’ll be going to the game and have never been to a game there.

When I’ve been there, we just park in someones front yard a couple of blocks from the stadium. $20 or so and the walk is just a few minutes. Tailgating surrounds Kroger and everyone is super nice. Night games in Lexington are electric. Think: rave party with fireworks. Music thumps and the upper deck will quite literally shake. This is one of the best in the SEC (and I hate to admit it, but it is better than Neyland). Now, the fans will bail early, even if there team is barely winning. I’ve never understood that.

You will enjoy it. MUCH better than Tuscaloosa (bunch of drunks) or Athens (bunch of douche fans).

Have fun!

Reactions: zyzzyb95
We actually ate at the Texas Roadhouse there and took and Uber from there to stadium two years ago.

When I’ve been there, we just park in someones front yard a couple of blocks from the stadium. $20 or so and the walk is just a few minutes. Tailgating surrounds Kroger and everyone is super nice. Night games in Lexington are electric. Think: rave party with fireworks. Music thumps and the upper deck will quite literally shake. This is one of the best in the SEC (and I hate to admit it, but it is better than Neyland). Now, the fans will bail early, even if there team is barely winning. I’ve never understood that.

You will enjoy it. MUCH better than Tuscaloosa (bunch of drunks) or Athens (bunch of douche fans).

Have fun!

I’ve been to UT vs UK games 4 times and it’s not even close to Neyland. It’s underrated, but it’s not Neyland. Not even close.

Have fun!
What exactly do you mean by “better than Neyland?”

Reactions: GRRN7MAXIMS
All their houses have wheels so I would say yes.

OGC.50c77fc3f6c65b775581df0a33eee4a4

What exactly do you mean by “better than Neyland?”
I mean...

My son and I have been bucket-listing a roadtrip to each of the 14 team's stadiums in the SEC as an experience. Think Clay Travis' Dixieland Delight and adding TA&M and Missouri. We haven't made it to all of them yet, but enough to have a decent opinion.

Tennessee is my favorite team and the reason I love college football. And I've been to some great games in Neyland (the checkboard pounding of Florida in 2016) and some not so great games (the cartoon of an experience with Georgia State in 2019).

Compared to the other teams in the SEC though, a game in Neyland is at best, middle of the pack. I will admit, there are some cool traditions: the T at the beginning, it can be LOUD, and personally I never get tired of hearing Rocky Top (and glad it annoys the opposing teams).

There are some other things I don't quite get. For example - I swear the Welcome to the Jungle guitar intro and 'Iiiiiitttttttt's thirrrrrrrrrrdddddd ddddoooowwwwwnn!' are annoying and lame and seems even worse when the opposing team keeps converting third down. There are other schools that have annoyances, too. "Roll Tide!" shouted at each first down in Alabama (ugh). Sandstorm at Vanderbilt (pu-leaze). Some schools have cool traditions like singing Tom Petty at the end of the third quarter in Gainsville, and "All I Do Is Win" down at Auburn.

In my opinion, right up there at the top of the list is Kroger field in Lexington and that's what I mean by "better than Neyland." They've got it going on. No, they aren't as loud as the folks in Knoxville. But the fireworks, the sound system thumps, the stadium literally shakes (like it does in South Carolina). The atmosphere is electric and the fans were not obnoxious. And I don't even like Kentucky or care that much for coach Stoops. I can say that as far as experience, Kroger field would be in my top three. I haven't been to Baton Rouge or College Station, yet.

Reactions: Kentucky wildcat
I mean...

My son and I have been bucket-listing a roadtrip to each of the 14 team's stadiums in the SEC as an experience. Think Clay Travis' Dixieland Delight and adding TA&M and Missouri. We haven't made it to all of them yet, but enough to have a decent opinion.

Tennessee is my favorite team and the reason I love college football. And I've been to some great games in Neyland (the checkboard pounding of Florida in 2016) and some not so great games (the cartoon of an experience with Georgia State in 2019).

Compared to the other teams in the SEC though, a game in Neyland is at best, middle of the pack. I will admit, there are some cool traditions: the T at the beginning, it can be LOUD, and personally I never get tired of hearing Rocky Top (and glad it annoys the opposing teams).

There are some other things I don't quite get. For example - I swear the Welcome to the Jungle guitar intro and 'Iiiiiitttttttt's thirrrrrrrrrrdddddd ddddoooowwwwwnn!' are annoying and lame and seems even worse when the opposing team keeps converting third down. There are other schools that have annoyances, too. "Roll Tide!" shouted at each first down in Alabama (ugh). Sandstorm at Vanderbilt (pu-leaze). Some schools have cool traditions like singing Tom Petty at the end of the third quarter in Gainsville, and "All I Do Is Win" down at Auburn.

In my opinion, right up there at the top of the list is Kroger field in Lexington and that's what I mean by "better than Neyland." They've got it going on. No, they aren't as loud as the folks in Knoxville. But the fireworks, the sound system thumps, the stadium literally shakes (like it does in South Carolina). The atmosphere is electric and the fans were not obnoxious. And I don't even like Kentucky or care that much for coach Stoops. I can say that as far as experience, Kroger field would be in my top three. I haven't been to Baton Rouge or College Station, yet.

This is probably the strangest and most unique take in the history of this board. Neyland on game day/night is top 5 in the nation. When we are actually good/have a big game, it's the best and is recognized as such across the CFB landscape. I've been to every stadium in the SEC. Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Clemson and Penn State. Neyland tops them all when there's a big game.

Grocery field is a dead zone by comparison, Rupp Arena is also a vastly overrated experience.

You will enjoy it. MUCH better than Tuscaloosa (bunch of drunks) or Athens (bunch of douche fans). Have fun!

Personal theory based on limited observations. I think early bailing UK fans is due to mainly two things. Many live away from the freeway, and have to drive some distance along two lane, winding, narrow, dark roads to get home. If you wait too long you end up in a snaking convey creeping along as elderly drivers with poor night vision all but ignore the accelerator and let their car creep along by itself. Then there are roadside pee stops for old overactive bladders, and folks either do or don't have enough shoulder room to pull completely off the road so traffic can pass while they water the weeds. Finally, it's not uncommon for a dead or dying deer hit by a car to block the road until some brave souls get out and move it into a ditch. The second thing is family Sunday breakfasts and dinners are a thing. So a lot are heading to kinfolks home to be there before midnight so they can enjoy more of Sunday before heading home that evening.

Why, WoodsmanVol! You sound like someone with firsthand experience with UK post game home-going.
Well..., hey wait a minute! Now see here! Don't you dare try to de-Tennessee me!!!
Yeah, but it seems like...
{Humming Rockytop loudly. Nah, nah, nah, I can't hear you. Humming even louder Nah, nah, nah!}

This is probably the strangest and most unique take in the history of this board. Neyland on game day/night is top 5 in the nation. When we are actually good/have a big game, it's the best and is recognized as such across the CFB landscape. I've been to every stadium in the SEC. Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Clemson and Penn State. Neyland tops them all when there's a big game.

Grocery field is a dead zone by comparison, Rupp Arena is also a vastly overrated experience.
Agreed; TBA in 2006 vs. fla was louder than Rupp…..

This is my personal experience the last couple of trips up there. If you leave the stadium and cross the parking lots heading west, you'll hit that Church on the main street. South a couple of blocks, there are some tiiight residential streets where you can park along the curb for free. It gets pretty packed in there, but we've always just kept driving around the neighborhood until we found an open curb. Be a good visitor and don't block anyone's driveway or be stupid and park in front of a fire hydrant and you should be okay. We've never left any UT gear on the car, but I never felt this was an unsafe place to park.

VN Store

Back