Kentucky lost again

Full on meltdown over at Rupp Rafters and I'm personally enjoying every single thread.

This bozo is going full on conspiracy nut... It's not Cal's fault.... wait for it.... "IT'S DISNEY AND VEGAS" HAHAHAHA

Don’t jump into the politics forum of Volnation then. You’ll find much the same lol.

I don’t think Kentucky would go after Pearl. He’s already 63. I think they would want to go younger. Tommy Llloyd just signed a massive contract extension and has it made at Arizona. Not sure why he’d leave to go to Kentucky other than ego. Which he doesn’t seem to have.

I could see Nate Oats jumping at the offer. But Alabama could match any monetary offer UK makes, so it would have to be just because of the name of Kentucky. Scott Drew probably makes the most sense.

I’m pretty available for the Kentucky job. If hired, I’d like to Jeremy Pruitt Big Blue.

This one’s classic - Calipari messed up by taking that top ranked class instead of taking Knecht!
View attachment 621826
Another jewel from Rupp Rafters: Other conferences protect their elite programs.

I'm not looking for that, but for the life of me can't understand why the SEC takes such delight in screwing over UK.

Has been that way forever.

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
I don’t think Kentucky would go after Pearl. He’s already 63. I think they would want to go younger. Tommy Llloyd just signed a massive contract extension and has it made at Arizona. Not sure why he’d leave to go to Kentucky other than ego. Which he doesn’t seem to have.

I could see Nate Oats jumping at the offer. But Alabama could match any monetary offer UK makes, so it would have to be just because of the name of Kentucky. Scott Drew probably makes the most sense.
Lloyd signing the extension makes a jump more prohibitive unless UK just doesn't care and pays whatever the buyout might be, but I could see him being interested for a couple reasons. One, they just hired a new AD this week, and she didn't hire Lloyd. That always makes coaches nervous. And two, Arizona's arhletic department is just a shade over bankrupt. They had a massive accounting error last fall in their department that resulted in a $240 million loss. It has led to severe budget cuts and department restraints. They also move into the Big 12, next year. Lots of change, and he may just want to land in a more stable environment, and probably land a nice pay raise.

Moving on from Cal seems like an impossible situation. Firstly, it would be insanely expensive. Second, the fanbase is so irrational, you'd have to be insane to want that job unless it was a major pay upgrade. So anyone that is in a comfortable pay range is likely not incentivized to be interested. Which means they could only lure an up-and-coming coaches at smaller schools.

Unless they did something like got Billy Donovan, who could be available soon.

I've long thought if UK ditched Cal, Donovan is the first call they make. He's a proven winner, has UK and SEC ties, he's only 58 even though it seems like he's been around forever, and the Bulls appear to be going nowhere.

Lloyd signing the extension makes a jump more prohibitive unless UK just doesn't care and pays whatever the buyout might be, but I could see him being interested for a couple reasons. One, they just hired a new AD this week, and she didn't hire Lloyd. That always makes coaches nervous. And two, Arizona's arhletic department is just a shade over bankrupt. They had a massive accounting error last fall in their department that resulted in a $240 million loss. It has led to severe budget cuts and department restraints. They also move into the Big 12, next year. Lots of change, and he may just want to land in a more stable environment, and probably land a nice pay raise.

I guess this is true. I’m just wondering if the pressure cooker that is Kentucky would be all that appealing to a guy that has already rebuilt and stabilized Arizona into one of the elite programs in CBB in just 3 years, and with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, probably means less competition in the Big 12. Losing two brand name programs you would have to compete against and in exchange you gain BYU and UCF.

For all the reasons you listed, I could see him entertaining the idea, but I’m just not convinced Kentucky is a more attractive option than Arizona anymore, mostly because the expectations are through the roof at that program in a time where college basketball parity is at an all-time high. Slipping up and losing to Princeton is not as big of a deal to your job security as slipping up and losing to St. Peter’s would be, IMO.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I guess this is true. I’m just wondering if the pressure cooker that is Kentucky would be all that appealing to a guy that has already rebuilt and stabilized Arizona into one of the elite programs in CBB in just 3 years, and with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, probably means less competition in the Big 12. Losing two brand name programs you would have to compete against and in exchange you gain BYU and UCF.

For all the reasons you listed, I could see him entertaining the idea, but I’m just not convinced Kentucky is a more attractive option than Arizona anymore, mostly because the expectations are through the roof at that program in a time where college basketball parity is at an all-time high. Slipping up and losing to Princeton is not as big of a deal to your job security as slipping up and losing to St. Peter’s would be, IMO.
Yeah, the pressure certainly increases at UK, but so does the pay, I'd imagine. Even with his new deal/extension, he's not making $6 million until 2029. UK would probably pay him $8.5 million, today.

The solid footing of UK's foundation would probably be appealing to most, as well, in contrast to all of the uncertainty at AZ. So at the end of the day, it probably boils down to what Lloyd's career goals are. Does he want that challenge? Does he want that spotlight? Does he want that money and the pressure that comes with it? Only he can answer that. I guess I can see the advantages to both places from a distance, so I can't just slam the door on UK and Lloyd being an option for each other if the job came open.

Yeah, the pressure certainly increases at UK, but so does the pay, I'd imagine. Even with his new deal/extension, he's not making $6 million until 2029. UK would probably pay him $8.5 million, today.

The solid footing of UK's foundation would probably be appealing to most, as well, in contrast to all of the uncertainty at AZ. So at the end of the day, it probably boils down to what Lloyd's career goals are. Does he want that challenge? Does he want that spotlight? Does he want that money and the pressure that comes with it? Only he can answer that. I guess I can see the advantages to both places from a distance, so I can't just slam the door on UK and Lloyd being an option for each other if the job came open.
I would be shocked if Lloyd even remotely considered UK. Of course, who really knows.

I've long thought if UK ditched Cal, Donovan is the first call they make. He's a proven winner, has UK and SEC ties, he's only 58 even though it seems like he's been around forever, and the Bulls appear to be going nowhere.

Donovan would be a fool to leave the NBA.

He’s turned down KY before and seems to have no interest in returning to the college level.

I would be shocked if Lloyd even remotely considered UK. Of course, who really knows.
Right, in a vacuum, I would, too. I can just see it as a possibility with the shaky ground UA athletics is on. Budget issues, new boss, and new conference...that's a lot of change/uncertainty. It is worth noting that all of his national ties and experience are on the west coast.

Right, in a vacuum, I would, too. I can just see it as a possibility with the shaky ground UA athletics is on. Budget issues, new boss, and new conference...that's a lot of change/uncertainty. It is worth noting that all of his national ties and experience are on the west coast.
Quit adding so much common sense to the equation.

Kentucky's "list" from RR recently was 3 NBA coaches, Dan Hurley and Scott Drew if they had to go slumming.

Dan Hurley would be very dumb to take the Kentucky job, IMO. But who really knows. I’m sure Kentucky can pay better, so I guess if his ambition is just to make more money than maybe he’ll entertain it. But, UConn is another blue blood and in a more manageable conference. It would be a huge risk to move from the Big East to the SEC, especially with the conference expanding.

It’s not easy to have any sympathies, but I won’t lie, I do feel a little bad for Dillingham. Kid is a special talent and clutch as can be. He’s put in some epic performances in losing efforts.

Dillingham is amazing on offense, but he got caught watching the last few seconds. When the initial shooter went into his shooting motion, the guy who ultimately scored started charging in from beyond the 3-point line. He ran past Dillingham, who was standing still, for a possible rebound. That is how he came to be wide open when the initial shooter had his shot blocked right back to him.

Ky fans blaming the refs for " screwing us over for years"
My God the delusional blue faces are comical

Go back and watch the 3 foul calls on Reeves that took him out of the game early in the 2nd half. The first two were outrageous, the third was at least somewhat questionable. Overall the refs didn't bother me last night, but the fouls on Reeves were hilariously bad.

Same type of crying as UT fans did after the Purdue, Kansas, UNC, etc game. You see a FT discrepancy and want to use it as an excuse, when in reality your team (I'm talking about UK here) is just soft.

Go back and watch the 3 foul calls on Reeves that took him out of the game early in the 2nd half. The first two were outrageous, the third was at least somewhat questionable. Overall the refs didn't bother me last night, but the fouls on Reeves were hilariously bad.

Same type of crying as UT fans did after the Purdue, Kansas, UNC, etc game. You see a FT discrepancy and want to use it as an excuse, when in reality your team (I'm talking about UK here) is just soft.
Oh the irony 😂

VN Store

Back