Kentucky coaching situation

Drew didn't want his kids life threatened at school win they lost a game. You can't make this up. UT fans are saints compared to UK basketball fans.

Reactions: Volfan1000
BYU has a history of good coaching across a number of sports, so the new coach might be a lot better than people think.
He'won't pull in the 5 stars like Cal did, but that may not be a bad thing.

Exactly. Plus Saban received so much criticism for doing that, even up till the present time, that I don’t think another coach is going to want to repeat it.
With Mark Pope being the apparent hire, it’s almost like those guys who said they were turning it down we’re turning it down.

Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
Reading Rupp Rafters, I get a heavy dose of “he’s a former player, he bleeds Kentucky blue”.

I have to chuckle as I read that because that’s the sentiment that brought us Kellie Harper. Not bad, not great, but if you take the homer glasses off, they had average resumes.

I think Pearl or Buzz could have done quite well there. I was afraid they’d get Chris Beard, and that would have been a huge coaching upgrade over Calipari.

Reading Rupp Rafters, I get a heavy dose of “he’s a former player, he bleeds Kentucky blue”.

I have to chuckle as I read that because that’s the sentiment that brought us Kellie Harper. Not bad, not great, but if you take the homer glasses off, they had average resumes.

I think Pearl or Buzz could have done quite well there. I was afraid they’d get Chris Beard, and that would have been a huge coaching upgrade over Calipari.
It's always big in football recruiting, too. A local legend that the staff doesn't see as a fit and doesn't offer will bring out the "bleeding orange" crowd clamoring for us to sign him. Kinda silly especially in this era of the portal. If there's a color being bled these days, it's green. The sooner fans start seeing this as a business the better.

Reactions: b-ball fan
Pope is a really good coach and might be successful there, but having to settle for him definitely indicates that the Kentucky basketball brand isn’t remotely close to what their fans think it is anymore.

Also, having a healthy athletic department is everything when you’re trying to bring in the right coach. I’m thankful for Danny White today.

Beard doesn’t play that high flying style their fans think they deserve and appeals to the one and done’ers. Would give them better TEAMS…but they’re not there yet. Hurley has actually embraced the Jay Wright methodology. Less McDonald’s All-American more high end lunch pail. Has worked to a lesser extent with Barnes, also.

Not sure I agree that Beard is a "huge" upgrade over Calipari. Not even sure he would be an upgrade at all

North Carolina and Duke hired in house dudes with no resume and it's worked so far. At least Pope has a resume I guess? I just hope he's surrounded with a good staff and plenty of nil help. The boosters had high expectations and this hire might piss them off.

North Carolina and Duke hired in house dudes with no resume and it's worked so far. At least Pope has a resume I guess? I just hope he's surrounded with a good staff and plenty of nil help. The boosters had high expectations and this hire might piss them off.
For UNC, the parallel would be Matt Doherty who had some limited success at Notre Dame and was the next guy down the list when Roy Williams turned them down. Mitigated disaster resulting in Dean Smith begging and landing Roy Williams the next go-round.

Looking at their 2024 schedule, they don't even have their annual 5-0 start only to finish 7-6 to look forward to. They've got UGA and @ Ole Miss in their first five games.
Living in KY I love to see that 5-0 start. It gives them optimism and I love seeing their souls crushed after they start their real schedule in the 2nd half lol.

Reactions: 90 Vol

YES - this hire by UK is very, very much like our hire of Harper.
Good / great player that was on teams that won while playing and have moved on to 'middle of the road' coaching careers.

My guess, is UK is looking for a new coach in 3 to 5 years, or sooner depending on load the boosters and fans get with mediocrity and apathy.

In my view, after all the people that turned them down, I was afraid they were going to go hard at Will Wade...glad that didn't happen (or maybe Sankey said no before the question was even asked).

I think Mark Pope is a combination of Kellie Harper (former national champion player) and Coach Kim Caldwell (super, up-tempo offense, shoots a ton of 3s). We’ll see if it works at the SEC level. At least he has 5 million in NIL money to dangle in front of recruits.

Most of the hardcore UK fans I know here in Kentucky have reached the coping stage of this grief process rather quickly. They've decided to "give him a chance" as if they had another choice, and have come to grips with the fact that the grass may not be greener. It's been an amazingly fast adjustment.

VN Store

Back