Kenny Rogers Dead at 81

Recall when the fires in the Smokies inspired Dolly Parton to have a benefit on television, & she sang "Islands in the Stream" with K.R. His mind was wandering, but she led him through the song. A really sweet moment. Those two were a great singing duo.

When my grandfather was president of the country musicians union in Nashville we used to go back stage a Grand ole Opry and rhyman auditorium. I didn't like or appreciate country music so much back then (70 and 80s) but I can tell you two of the finest and funniest people I ever met were Dolly and Kenny. They both came to my grandad's funeral.
RIP peace Kenny you picked a fine to leave us.

RIP KR. He was a legend. One of my favorite memories in VolNation lore was @GAVol breaking out the Kenny Rogers lyrics in a post back in the early days of the board. Good times.
And she belieeeeeeves in meee.
I’ll never know what she seeeeeees in meee.

He did Country. He did Pop. He did duets with Dolly Parton and Lionel Ritchie. He did movies. He did roasted chicken. What a life.

And she belieeeeeeves in meee.
I’ll never know what she seeeeeees in meee.

He did Country. He did Pop. He did duets with Dolly Parton and Lionel Ritchie. He did movies. He did roasted chicken. What a life.

He was one of the best. His early stuff was my favorite - Ruby and Just dropped in are two of the all time greats

That really stinks. His duets with Dolly were one of the first things that turned me on to country.

I saw Kenny in Disneyland waaaay back in the day, when his group was Kenny Rodgers and the First Edition. They came up from under ground on a rising stage. Said to self, he’ll never go far in the music world... I kid! He had talent from the git-go.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back