Kenny Pickett’s fake slide in the ACC Championship. Dirty play?

If we are flagging defenders for hitting a player one step out of bounds or 2 seconds after throwing the ball, or in the head when the defender lowers his head... and we are. Then that should be illegal. We are asking the defense to fully anticipate the offense so as to not hurt them. The offense can't start faking a 'give up.'

I dont think this should be illegal just like trick plays aren't illegal. However, I think he might think twice about doing it once he gets laid out by somebody.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Should be ruled down and flagged for Delay of Game. It’s exactly the same as a punt returner signaling fair catch and then taking off.

Yes. If this continues, then inevitably a defensive player will just come in and "nuke it from orbit.. It's the only way to be sure."

This play just upped the chances of a future sliding qb getting killed

Matt Corrall has been doing this all season. Not just our game. Surprised it is just now getting discussion. Maybe nobody was paying attention before?

Fainting goat imitations are a far bigger problem. This is a one off and QBs are too coddled as it is. Sliding is a BS 'play' to begin with. If they are running past the LOS, they are football players, subject to being hit like any running back.
I agree. The rule was put in place to protect prototypical pocket passers who get chased out. In an era where you have TE sized QBs who run as many times as they throw, the rule is an anachronism.

This is interesting in light of the blown fumble call with Tennessee and the Ole Miss QB. If a QB can fake a slide and then take off like that, it is not fair to not see the Ole Miss QB as a live player and not take away our TD over some phony excuse that the play is over.

The NCAA has officially banned the fake slide;

"Any time a ball carrier simulates a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead at that spot."

Ball Declared Dead – Rule 4-1-3
Play #1: 3/10 @ B-40. QB A12 takes the snap and rolls out to the right. Finding no receiver open, A12 turns up field and runs. After making the line to gain, A12 breaks stride as if he is going to slide feet first at the B-27, stays upright and runs for a touchdown.
RULING: The live ball becomes dead at the point where A12 simulates or fakes as if he will begin a feet-first slide. An official shall sound their whistle and declare the ball dead. Team A will have 1/10 @ B-27.
Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball

Per a ref on Reddit

Maybe 45 shouldn’t have just given up on the play and stayed in position. He gave up before Pickett went down and wasn’t in danger of hitting him.
That's what a defensive player is supposed to do when a QB slides 🙄

I've always advocated for the QB to be treated as any other player on the field, no special treatment. If they did this, then QBs wouldn't get away with crap like that.

Well, I realize that will never happen, soooo IMO, you simply call him down at the spot where he initiated his little fake slide. No penalty and use replay to spot the ball.

Anyone who is in possession of the ball can slide and be "protected" by the slide rule. It is not exclusive to QBs.

Still needs a delay of game penalty. What that ruling describes sounds kind of narrow. What happens when a QB fakes a slide without making the line to gain, freezes the defense that would have kept him down and in bounds, then scoots out of bounds? You can't just call him down at the spot, there needs to be a clock runoff etc.

Reactions: MSCE09
Interesting that the NCAA took less than one week to address this, but has not addressed fake injuries after years of teams doing it.

Reactions: Voltopia
Wake coach: Pitt QB's fake slide a slippery slope

Ive never seen a fake slide like that but I expect we will be seeing it a lot more in the future. Personally, I don’t believe it was dirty but it does expose something that officials are going to have to really dig into. We don’t want defensive player’s creaming a QB on his way down but then you see a play like this.

At what point does a fake slide cross the line and become dirty?
At some point latter in the game I probably would of had about 15 yards worth hung on me.

Still needs a delay of game penalty. What that ruling describes sounds kind of narrow. What happens when a QB fakes a slide without making the line to gain, freezes the defense that would have kept him down and in bounds, then scoots out of bounds? You can't just call him down at the spot, there needs to be a clock runoff etc.
I'd hit them with a 15 yd unsportsman like personal foul and loss of down.

Reactions: ArmchairQB
I'd hit them with a 15 yd unsportsman like personal foul and loss of down.
For sure. You can’t just say OK the play is dead here. There has to be a penalty element to it, otherwise the offense gets to say OK you can’t hit me for fear of a penalty, and I can milk that for something, and there will be a bunch of situations where that can be taken advantage of.

While I agree that he exposed and took advantage of a loophole in the rules, I wouldn’t consider it a dirty play. That loophole can be closed and I’m sure we’ll see a reactionary rule change, but that becomes another subjective thing a ref has to look out for.

The NCAA has officially banned the fake slide;

"Any time a ball carrier simulates a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead at that spot."

Per a ref on Reddit
The "not reviewable" should be removed from the rule. Sometimes things happen to quickly to be seen and judged properly on the fly by the refs. Sometimes the refs miss seeing the infraction completely.

VN Store

Back