Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

KC had to know the move was a little bit of a gamble, he was inconsistent at times this year and add others stated the class was loaded. He probably should have come back another year with a better shot at first round guaranteed money with better 3 point%.

As they say hindsight is 20/20.
Don't think it's hindsight. He heard what he wanted to hear. He wanted to be in the NBA sooner rather than later.

He can improve his 3-point shooting in the NBA. Look at Grant Williams: He wasn't a 3-point shooter in college, most Boston fans would have been happy to see him traded after his first year or two, but he suddenly became a good three-point shooter and this year was a valuable sub. YOU HAVE to be a 3-point shooter to be a viable NBA player, because that's esssentially what the league is about--hoisting treys. Chandler will have plenty of time to improve his shooting--which isn't bad at all right now.
He definitely can improve his 3 in the NBA. That makes him a bargain. I was talking about what is good for Kennedy, not for NBA owners. I think he would’ve moved up by staying, developing his 3 and his drive. Interestingly, that’s the hindsight analysis on Grant too, but it’s hard to make the case that Barnes would’ve let him play outside enough to change his stock. With KC, it feels like high odds that he would’ve moved up.

Don't think it's hindsight. He heard what he wanted to hear. He wanted to be in the NBA sooner rather than later.
This is probably spot on, he misread the room because it's what he wanted to believe. We are all guilty of this at times.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
He definitely can improve his 3 in the NBA. That makes him a bargain. I was talking about what is good for Kennedy, not for NBA owners. I think he would’ve moved up by staying, developing his 3 and his drive. Interestingly, that’s the hindsight analysis on Grant too, but it’s hard to make the case that Barnes would’ve let him play outside enough to change his stock. With KC, it feels like high odds that he would’ve moved up.

Grant was given a first round promise by Utah (who had pick 23 I believe) so there was zero reason for him to return at that point. If you are a guaranteed first rounder, you should leave. Grant wasn’t ever going to work his way into the lottery so what’s the point when you can only move up a few spots at best?

I never heard that Chandler ever received a promise like that, so his people should have known this was a possibility. A 6’ guard that shot 60% from the FT line isn’t exactly what the NBA is drooling over. But he is going to an organization that should develop him and he has an opportunity to play immediately. It’s just that his money isn’t guaranteed.

Reactions: cncchris33
Paul shot over 47% from 3 and 84% from the FT line, also averaged almost 7apg the year he got drafted…yea, if Chandler’s numbers mirrored those of Paul’s he definitely would have been a higher draft pick.
IIRC, Paul played 3 years in college so unless you only compare freshmen seasons those aren’t an accurate comparison. My question was in relation to the post saying the nba drafts on potential only and KC couldn’t improve his draft stock as he was always going to be held down by his height. I pointed out CP is the same height and was drafted 4th and has enjoyed a long career asking what physical traits CP had that made him a way better prospect. You accurately made my point that CP had a more impressive college resume and that was likely why he was drafted higher. Doubt CP put up better combine numbers as KC did outstanding there.

2022 NBA Draft: Dalen Terry, Patrick Baldwin among the biggest steals - Sports Illustrated

Kennedy Chandler, Grizzlies (Second round, No. 38 overall)
This is a circumstance where dropping out of the first round might have actually played in Chandler’s favor by landing in Memphis. Chandler is arguably the best pure point guard in this draft class, a diminutive but speedy guard who makes the most out of his undersized frame and led Tennessee to an SEC tournament championship in his lone college season. He’s also a local product who gets to stay home and play for an organization that has been among the NBA’s most well-run in the last few years.

One of the biggest reasons for the Grizzlies’ impressive season in 2021–22 was how good Tyus Jones was backing up Ja Morant. Chandler could eventually become a high-level backup point guard in the NBA and provides some insurance should Jones leave this offseason in free agency. He’s a skilled ball screen operator who, if he can hang in defensively against physically imposing NBA guards, should have a nice career in Memphis.

Grant was given a first round promise by Utah (who had pick 23 I believe) so there was zero reason for him to return at that point. If you are a guaranteed first rounder, you should leave. Grant wasn’t ever going to work his way into the lottery so what’s the point when you can only move up a few spots at best?

I never heard that Chandler ever received a promise like that, so his people should have known this was a possibility. A 6’ guard that shot 60% from the FT line isn’t exactly what the NBA is drooling over. But he is going to an organization that should develop him and he has an opportunity to play immediately. It’s just that his money isn’t guaranteed.[/QUOTE

I’m not debating why Grant left. I’m making the case that his stock suffered since he was a tweener without enough threes. He did not apparently have a “guarantee” since he wasn’t drafted by them. The knock on Grant was that he didn’t have a developed three game, and wasn’t big enough to just play inside. Utah backed off. I’m also obviously acknowledging that him coming back wouldn’t have cultivated his three since Barnes wasn’t going to move him outside enough.

IIRC, Paul played 3 years in college so unless you only compare freshmen seasons those aren’t an accurate comparison. My question was in relation to the post saying the nba drafts on potential only and KC couldn’t improve his draft stock as he was always going to be held down by his height. I pointed out CP is the same height and was drafted 4th and has enjoyed a long career asking what physical traits CP had that made him a way better prospect. You accurately made my point that CP had a more impressive college resume and that was likely why he was drafted higher. Sought CP put up better combine numbers as KC did outstanding there.
2 years, and his freshman numbers were much better than Chandler's…but again he didn’t enter after freshman year, he returned and improved/solidified his stock, even more. You mentioned improving his FT%, which is something Paul was very good at over a 2 year sample size, among other things…so again, yes, Chandler could’ve improved his stock without having to change his measurables.

The below runs contrary to what some have said about KC's response to RB's coaching style:

What the Grizzlies are getting in hometown point guard Kennedy Chandler

Barnes said Chandler arrived at Tennessee without entitlement, despite his rankings. He walked in with one request — to be coached as hard as possible. Barnes, who has coached 29 NBA Draft picks, including 17 first-rounders, was happy to oblige. He found that the harder he coached Chandler, the harder Chandler wanted to be coached. An example …

“Because of his speed, he didn’t have to shoot jump shots,” Barnes said. “He just got wherever he needed to go. So we told them, he needs to improve his shot and that some mechanical things were wrong. And wouldn’t you know, they fixed it.”

One thing I was pleasantly surprised with this season was how neither of our smallish guards appeared to get physically overpowered by bigger opponents. Maybe CRB’s team defense contributed there, but it seemed like both guys had the core strength that allowed them to hold their position

You do realize that Boston picked Grant before Utah got on the clock? So not sure how that refutes what I said but ok.

I’m also well aware of his tweener status, but there was absolutely nothing he could do to get him to the lottery. Even if Barnes had played him on the perimeter it wouldn’t have mattered.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
If you look at Chandler's analytical performance on both sides of the ball, it was already elite. He simply dropped because of his height. He's said that himself in interviews post-draft. Unfortunately, another year in school wasn't going to add any inches.

Sometimes, being a second round pick can be a blessing. It gets you outside of the guaranteed 4 year rookie deal, so if you do show out, you can move on to the lucrative second contract much faster and get to unrestricted free agency much earlier than a 1st round pick who will be tied to his drafting team for up to 8 seasons. Josh Richardson showed that this pathway can be taken. Chandler just has to prove that he can still be a plus player on the court at his size.

Reactions: OneVolNation
This was also a pretty weak class when it came to PGs. I guess you could argue that Ivey is a point, but he's definitely score first. Other than Ivey, a PG wasn't drafted until TyTy in the mid 20s. I understand why Chandler jumped because he's probably the best playmaker of the PGs in this draft. Next year's draft could have much more competition at the point.

Sucks Chandler fell to the 2nd round, couldn't be happier with where he landed! He should be an important piece to a championship team within the next 5 years. Only NBA team I follow is the Grizzlies, they are set up for a potential dynasty. So many good young pieces. Great spot for him. Hometown team, no pressure being a backup, gets to learn from one of the best young talents in the NBA in Ja. It's just a perfect fit for him and the Grizzlies with Tyus probably on his way out. Hindsight is 20/20, if I was in his shoes I would have left too. I thought he would for sure be a 1st rounder. I didn't think he would get past teams at the end of round 1 (Spurs, Bucks, Grizzlies, Rockets, Nuggets). Shocked he was still there in the 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolPack22
You do realize that Boston picked Grant before Utah got on the clock? So not sure how that refutes what I said but ok.

I’m also well aware of his tweener status, but there was absolutely nothing he could do to get him to the lottery. Even if Barnes had played him on the perimeter it wouldn’t have mattered.

Yes, I know when he was selected, of course. My point was that it’s not a guarantee if it didn’t happen. I didn’t say anything about him entering the lottery. His draft status was marred by lack of evidence of an outside game. The commentary at the time was that his position wouldn’t improve without more outside success, and that wasn’t going to happen here. I’m not authoring that pov. Im
Just repeating it.

This was also a pretty weak class when it came to PGs. I guess you could argue that Ivey is a point, but he's definitely score first. Other than Ivey, a PG wasn't drafted until TyTy in the mid 20s. I understand why Chandler jumped because he's probably the best playmaker of the PGs in this draft. Next year's draft could have much more competition at the point.
The NBA values wings above all else now.

Okay, I think we need to realize whether KC left this year or next. He wasn’t going to improve his stock. He got caught in a loaded class and dropped. He killed it at the combine and from everything reported he had good private workouts. Being 5’11 (without shoes) and 180 lbs is always going to scare teams away. I don’t know if KC ever becomes THE guard for a team but he has the game that will translate to a long career in the NBA.
Absolutely correct. Whether he came back or not, he wasn’t going to grow to be 6 ft 3. End of discussion. He could have averaged 25 pts and 10 assists next year and he is still will be 6 ft tall.That scared teams off. But he has a chance to stick in Memphis and that’s all he can ask for.

Last thing to say on the subject. Ty Ty Washington was the shortest player picked in the first round at 6’3” at # 29. Before he was picked, one was 6’4”. Everybody else was 6-5 and above. That tells you all you need to know about the NBA these days.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
I was so confused the ESPN draft page is a mess. It looked like Memphis drafted TyTy and then traded for Kennedy but I guess in fact that was Houston's pick?

Sucks Chandler fell to the 2nd round, couldn't be happier with where he landed! He should be an important piece to a championship team within the next 5 years. Only NBA team I follow is the Grizzlies, they are set up for a potential dynasty. So many good young pieces. Great spot for him. Hometown team, no pressure being a backup, gets to learn from one of the best young talents in the NBA in Ja. It's just a perfect fit for him and the Grizzlies with Tyus probably on his way out. Hindsight is 20/20, if I was in his shoes I would have left too. I thought he would for sure be a 1st rounder. I didn't think he would get past teams at the end of round 1 (Spurs, Bucks, Grizzlies, Rockets, Nuggets). Shocked he was still there in the 2nd.

Chandler will show the rest of the NBA teams what they passed up.

Reactions: Jpcisco
Lakers traded for the #35 pick if Chandler dropped out the 1st he would def be a possibility...
Well I mean I wasn't far off with it...I'd be lying if I thought he ever would have made it to 35.Lakers took a guard just a half foot taller lol..

Last thing to say on the subject. Ty Ty Washington was the shortest player picked in the first round at 6’3” at # 29. Before he was picked, one was 6’4”. Everybody else was 6-5 and above. That tells you all you need to know about the NBA these days.
So Allan Iverson wouldn’t have been drafted into today’s nba?

So Allan Iverson wouldn’t have been drafted into today’s nba?
Sure he would, but again, a 6' PG needs to have a bulletproof game. Concerns about Chandlers shooting led to his drop. All a moot point now. He got drafted. He's got his shot. You can improve on shooting. Grant proved that. If he does, he'll be a solid PG option for a team. Most likely a backup role, but hey, that's not a bad gig if you can land it. Kinda like the backup QB in the NFL. Best job in all football.

VN Store

Back