Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

Another year in college probably wasn’t going to make him 3 inches taller.
It didn't make TJ Ford 3 inches taller, either, but it did make him a Wooden Award and Naismith Award winner, and a top-10 pick. I think everyone can agree that KC didn't enter the draft to be a 2nd-rounder. Hard to argue that another year would have hurt is draft stock, at this point, hindsight being 20/20, but it seemingly could have maybe helped.

I rather like the idea that an early-entry player who isn't taken in the 1st round and still has eligibility should be allowed to return to school one time. Sort of like how collegiate juniors are treated in the MLB draft. Teams draft them at their own risk in the 2nd round and get a compensatory 2nd round pick the next year if they fail to sign him and he returns to school.

I never thought he was a Top 15 pick. Top 25 for sure though.
ESPN rated him the 20th overall player. Not that they are ever right about anything, but I didn’t think it was going to be too much of a stretch to be picked somewhere in the 15-20 range. But I guess if the Bulls think Dalen Terry is a better player than Kennedy Chandler, then that’s on them.

His size. People are going to cover TyTy’s build more. It just is what it is.

The only strength Tyty has on KC. Well maybe FT shooting.

The NBA draft is garbage now. The only people that still watch it are fans that are looking for where their favorite college player gets drafted.

Last edited:
If you ever needed further proof that your performance in college means zilch with your draft stock, Shaedon Sharp went #7 overall and Patrick Baldwin Jr who was AWFUL against mediocre competition at Milwaukee went #28 lol.
NBA loves potential, not sure how many times this needs to be said.

Classic Memphis. Trade away an additional first round pick to move up 3 freaking spots to get someone they probably could have taken at 22….or maybe 29. Lol.

If you believe in the pick, you move up. They’ve shown they can eye talent by moving up to take Brandon Clark, Desmond Bane, and Zair Williams in 3 consecutive drafts.

Also, they saved $2 million by trading 22/29 and getting 19.

At this point, I would just tell the teams to not draft me in the second round and return to school and dominate the SEC next year to improve my stock. Crazy that he’s not a first round pick.

At this point, I would just tell the teams to not draft me in the second round and return to school and dominate the SEC next year to improve my stock. Crazy that he’s not a first round pick.
Don't think you can return to school if you go undrafted. Would be a nice loophole, but pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

He's always been a bum IMO, but this tweet is stupid af

Julian Phillips is a 6’8” wing with measurables that execs slobber over. Kennedy Chandler is a 6’0” PG that can’t shoot free throws. Don’t see how they are even remotely the same thing, and just feels so dumb to find a way to chirp at Barnes tonight.

I used to really like Jon Reed, but at some point he took a really weird turn and is now just hopelessly negative about all things Tennessee. What a dumb tweet.

he’s not wrong. The majority of our players have fallen from their original projection. Rather fair or not.

Julian Phillips is a 6’8” wing with measurables that execs slobber over. Kennedy Chandler is a 6’0” PG that can’t shoot free throws. Don’t see how they are even remotely the same thing, and just feels so dumb to find a way to chirp at Barnes tonight.
Keon Johnson broke records at the combine and yet saw his stock fall…

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
In fairness…what 5 stars has Barnes landed and where did they get drafted?

I get the point he is trying to make, but knocking Barnes for Chandler seems unnecessary. Outside of the free throws, Barnes arguably improved Chandler in every other aspect of his game. He made Chandler a DPOY semi finalist, improved his 3-point shot, etc.

Barnes can’t fix size, which is clearly why Chandler is dropping.

I get the point he is trying to make, but knocking Barnes for Chandler seems unnecessary. Outside of the free throws, Barnes arguably improved Chandler in every other aspect of his game. He made Chandler a DPOY semi finalist, improved his 3-point shot, etc.

If I’m not mistaken, Chandler would be smallest player drafted up to this point. That size differential is simply put, killing his stock.

Just hoping he lands in a good spot and gets good instruction on taking it to the next level.

I will point everyone back to the quote from the anonymous NBA executive who said Rick Barnes players are always ready for the NBA and mostly overachieved.

Keon Johnson was raw out of high school, and that was definitely discussed among the pundits I listen to. Springer isn’t uber athletic. KC is all about size, plain and simple.

it begs the question, they knew his size before the season. So why did they have him mocked so high? I remember seeing him at 9 in a few.

If you believe in the pick, you move up. They’ve shown they can eye talent by moving up to take Brandon Clark, Desmond Bane, and Zair Williams in 3 consecutive drafts.

Also, they saved $2 million by trading 22/29 and getting 19.
Exactly. Memphis has one of the best draft records in the league over the last 3 years. The new regime seems to know what they are doing so it’s really hard to say “typical Memphis” when they’ve nabbed the 3 you named plus Ja and Jaren Jackson. It’s sad for Kennedy but it’s the size thing. There just aren’t many 6 footers in the league. He’s going to have to prove himself somewhere.

VN Store

Back