Kellie Harper Interview on Sports Talk

I don’t think I heard a single I don’t know.
Not to continue to punch down at our former coach, but please forgive those of us who suffered thru the last few years for our continued surprise and delight. I actually enjoy listening to KJH, she's relaxed, smart, articulate, and funny. I love her take on superstition: "I'm not superstitious but I'm not NOT superstitious. If I win in a pair of shoes, I might wear them again . . . and again and again." She's forthcoming and frank in her answers and her assessments of the team, kind of like Rick. May not win another game (heaven forbid) but sounds like exactly the coach I want. For what thats worth, lol.

The way she mentioned that the PG role may be helped by another addition to the roster makes me think we are in the hunt for someone! That’s really the last missing puzzle piece. Glad she’s not oblivious and upfront about it. 20 minutes
Well mystery solved. Been wondering if Jaz exit was bc Jordan had been handed the keys. Definitely not. More like she found them in the drawer after Jaz left. Thank goodness we have JH as an option, and it may work out spectacularly. But to put all the eggs in that particular basket would be coaching malpractice, and very unfair to Jordan. IMO,her best chance to excel at PG (and I still think she'd be far better at 2 but she's welcome to prove me wrong) is to have a very high quality back up. It's a position Jordan will definitely have to grow into so she needs as little pressure ( both mental and actual on court) as KJH can provide her.

Last edited:
Not to continue to punch down at our former coach, but please forgive those of us who suffered thru the last few years for our continued surprise and delight. I actually enjoy listening to KJH, she's relaxed, smart, articulate, and funny. I love her take on superstition: "I'm not superstitious but I'm not NOT superstitious. If I win in a pair of shoes, I might wear them again . . . and again and again." She's forthcoming and frank in her answers and her assessments of the team, kind of like Rick. May not win another game (heaven forbid) but sounds like exactly the coach I want. For what thats worth, lol.

Well mystery solved. Been wondering if Jaz exit was bc Jordan had been handed the keys. Definitely not. More like she found them in the drawer after Jaz left. Thank goodness we have JH as an option, and it may work out spectacularly. But to put all the eggs in that particular basket would be coaching malpractice, and very unfair to Jordan. IMO,her best chance to excel at PG (and I still think she'd be far better at 2 but she's welcome to prove me wrong) is to have a very high quality back up. It's a position Jordan will definitely have to grow into so she needs as little pressure ( both mental and actual on court) as KJH can provide her.

Definitely agree. I envision Jordan more at the 2 as well. She has to have someone to take the pressure off when needed. That has been an Achilles heel for us the last few years. We’ve had one true guard and really no back-up. When we hit a defense that bothered our one ball handler we were toast.

I can see her being the kind of leader and player that takes over the Point in pressure situations. When we need a go ahead bucket or a big time play. Playing more 2 conserves a little energy for defense as well. Handling the ball all night can get exhausting.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Definitely agree. I envision Jordan more at the 2 as well. She has to have someone to take the pressure off when needed. That has been an Achilles heel for us the last few years. We’ve had one true guard and really no back-up. When we hit a defense that bothered our one ball handler we were toast.

I can see her being the kind of leader and player that takes over the Point in pressure situations. When we need a go ahead bucket or a big time play. Playing more 2 conserves a little energy for defense as well. Handling the ball all night can get exhausting.

Jordan is a PG, and just like Jaz, she has to have a chance to grow into the position.
I have been at this game for 40 years, don't miss many projections
Jordan will end up being one of the best PG's in LV history,,quote me!

Jordan is a PG, and just like Jaz, she has to have a chance to grow into the position.
I’m sure there are some here that will be reminding you about this post if it doesn’t happen. No, not me....lol.

I remember this discussion throughout the the year when the LV Roster 2010 had junior Bass, recruited as a PG, Simmons a freshman and Stricklen a junior listed as F/G and we the fans recognized that the team did not have a proto-type PG. nor a successful backup point guard.

I also can recall many discussions on who was the defender (in the grill -cliche) of the opponents PG?

Mabrey mostly played the point.

While she may have been labeled the “point guard” she had 171 total assists w/ 73 tos that season. Jackie Young had190 assists w/ 73 tos. Arike Ogunbowale had 147 assists w/ 78 tos. She wasn’t a guard but Jess shepherd had 126 assts.

That seems like point guard by committee to me. McGraw even said she moved Mabrey to pg but it would be by committee. To her credit it was a great move and almost worked out twice but she put her in positions to be successful.

When that whole crew went to the WNBA McGraw went on record of saying Jackie Young was the one she didn’t expect to leave when planning recruiting classes because she was going to be her point guard. She also mentioned the losses of the young lady that went to Indiana and Jordan Nixon as reasons why she would carry the max of 15 players on her rosters along with injuries.

I believe and I've seen the star in her. Unlike Jaz, it's hard for her to pass that level..

While she may have been labeled the “point guard” she had 171 total assists w/ 73 tos that season. Jackie Young had190 assists w/ 73 tos. Arike Ogunbowale had 147 assists w/ 78 tos. She wasn’t a guard but Jess shepherd had 126 assts.

That seems like point guard by committee to me. McGraw even said she moved Mabrey to pg but it would be by committee. To her credit it was a great move and almost worked out twice but she put her in positions to be successful.

When that whole crew went to the WNBA McGraw went on record of saying Jackie Young was the one she didn’t expect to leave when planning recruiting classes because she was going to be her point guard. She also mentioned the losses of the young lady that went to Indiana and Jordan Nixon as reasons why she would carry the max of 15 players on her rosters along with injuries.
No, it doesn’t mean point guard by committe, it was just a great passing team that didn’t have a true point guard.

However, Marbrey played the point for the most part in Muffet’s system.

If you don’t have a great passing team, you’d better have a great point guard.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
No, it doesn’t mean point guard by committe, it was just a great passing team that didn’t have a true point guard.

However, Marbrey played the point for the most part in Muffet’s system.

If you don’t have a great passing team, you’d better have a great point guard.

LOL when she moved Mabrey to PG McGraw said she was the PG but it would also be by committee to let her off the ball some to get her shots. I think her great passing team was a PG by committee approach due to injuries that season (they’ve always had good ball movement but more with Lindsay Allen, Skylar Diggins, and Neil Ivey they were way more ball dominant players than Mabrey was even when she was designated the pg) . If I come across where McGraw said it was going to be a PG by committee I will send it but I remember not only reading she said that but also she said it during their season when on TV.

I agree with Coach (big surprise) but Jordan will evolve into a dynamic point guard....She is aggressive by nature, and with this approach to the game it will be fabulous, while at other times, not so much...

Having Kellie as her constant mentor, will shape Jordan into point guard legend, the kind of legend future fans will talk about in reverent tone....

And that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

I think you've nailed it. Great post! And, Coach Kellie exudes wisdom. Every time a question of this nature is thrown, she's prepared. Her mid-winter response to the "...having the most-talented players/roster of her career ...." being the prototypical example. They are not "trick questions," per se, but the answers can sure come back in haunting fashion. Of course, she had, and has talented players at Tennessee; she also had inexperience, and with Zaay's injury, Lou's injury/recovery, it was easy to see our deficiencies ...this was not her best-ever. Only the stars ratings suggested as much.

And, odd as it seems, I agree with Jumper ...and Darth (though I don't think Kellie's hoisting the Red Flag specific the point guard position). I think she truly wants another point guard; and I really don't think she cares if she's our starter-to-be, or a backup. Further, I have no doubt that this is the "sales pitch" she'll give to the possible, incoming PG, and to Jordan as well. **And no one should consider anything I say as a slight to Jordan. I think she will indeed be one of our greatest-evers, regardless of position.

Keep fighting the good fight, glv98. We need you!
Cheers!

Reactions: glv98
LOL when she moved Mabrey to PG McGraw said she was the PG but it would also be by committee to let her off the ball some to get her shots. I think her great passing team was a PG by committee approach due to injuries that season (they’ve always had good ball movement but more with Lindsay Allen, Skylar Diggins, and Neil Ivey they were way more ball dominant players than Mabrey was even when she was designated the pg) . If I come across where McGraw said it was going to be a PG by committee I will send it but I remember not only reading she said that but also she said it during their season when on TV.
You win.....lol.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Especially toward the end of the season when it counted. They tried by committee to start the season and it was a little rough. Once she stepped up they improved a ton.

This is accurate. Once Lili Thompson went down, Mabrey was clearly the primary point guard...

I wish the Lady Vols could "can" whatever MoJo the football team has right now. Probably the best recruiting streak ever for the football team.

40wdmk.jpg

I'm guessing high post because she can shoot 75% from the line. She will have to dramatically improve in assists though. It appears Kellie is assembling some shooting talent on the hill.

Dams straight Rick.....Kellie knows the value of offense.

Reactions: Rickster

VN Store

Back