Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

No pure shooters, terrible fundamentals and weak post play. We looked bewildered out there much of the time. Whoever is coach has to fix it. This team has major issues.
Jackson is every bit a pure shooter. Darby is also but she cannot create her own shot like Jackson can. Jackson needs to be taking the most shots per game, she would be the No.1 option offensively for nearly all P5 programs outside of Iowa, Uconn (some games also for huskies), Iowa State, Stanford (again some games she would be the leader) and a few schools like SC that are built around an AA post player. When you have a pure shooter like her you build the game plan to get them their shots.

I only ever played BB at the HS level, but even there every team was designed for their best offensive player/shooter to get the most shots, it’s that fundamental. BB is a unique sport, 5 v 5 on a small court. If one of the 5 on any team is the purest shooter and scorer, the coaches know to design their offense to benefit from this. Geno has been doing it for years at the college level, and with great success obviously. Sometimes the basics like that can be overlooked when playing at higher levels.

Last edited:
It is worse when a coaching staff makes a timeout mistake than a freshman under pressure in the NC game. Really no comparison,
He was a sophomore playing in back to back NCAA title games. Kellie must have picked up the not calling timeouts trait during her time at North Carolina State because former North Carolina MBB coach Roy Williams rarely called timeouts when opposing teams made runs. Some UNC fans would criticze him for not calling timeouts and he won three NCAA titles for them (which is more than any other MBB coach during the time he coach at UNC).

Reactions: madtownvol
He was a sophomore playing in back to back NCAA title games. Kellie must have picked up the not calling timeouts trait during her time at North Carolina State because former North Carolina MBB coach Roy Williams rarely called timeouts when opposing teams made runs. Some UNC fans would criticze him for not calling timeouts and he won three NCAA titles for them (which is more than any other MBB coach during the time he coach at UNC).

That;'s right he was a sophomore. But I still say, it is bigger error when it comes from the bench than a player on the court.

For the record, I am not part of the "time outs are the magic elixir" club. But in this situation, Kellie said she wanted to advance the ball but didn't because she wanted to save her last TO in case they got caught in a 5 second situation. However, she had TWO left. I think it was flukey sitation, where she called a TO that coincided with a planned media time out so the LVs were not charged with taking it. In the heat of the moment, an understandable oversight, but still an undeniable screw-up by the staff. It did not cost them the game per se but it didn't help either.

Last edited:
Yeah! The thing is, I was listening on the radio. Whenever it became apparent that the game was going to come down to the wire (2 minute mark or whatever), I thought...'she is going to find a way to lose this game'.

I do not have that same feeling with Rick B, Coach Hype, Tony V, even in softball with their woes.

Well, that settles it. Fire her now. The LVs won numerous close games down the stretch last season so there was no empirical evidence for your feeling. It just more bashing.

We is anyone who follows and supports Tennessee. Not everyone feels the need to check in daily. Losing brings people’s frustrations out.

If you consider that we've been losing regularly for 15 years--haven't been a national contender for 15 years--then, yea, there's a helluva lot of frustration, and there should be.

After the Derek Dooley hire, I’ve changed my position on that subject. Don’t dump your current girlfriend, until you have fully vetted a new girlfriend.

The genius behind that decision is no longer here. Neither is the one who hired Jeremy Pruitt... and Kellie. The one who IS here hit a homerun in hiring a football coach that, despite the disappointment of this past weekend, made Tennessee football relevant again. I think he could do the same for women's basketball...

Reactions: Jax_Vol
If you consider that we've been losing regularly for 15 years--haven't been a national contender for 15 years--then, yea, there's a helluva lot of frustration, and there should be.

And I'm not saying there isn't,,,there are a ton of threads just for that emotion....I just thought there should be at least one thread where the Lady Vols can read encouragement instead of insult

Please honor this request

Jackson is every bit a pure shooter. Darby is also but she cannot create her own shot like Jackson can. Jackson needs to be taking the most shots per game, she would be the No.1 option offensively for nearly all P5 programs outside of Iowa, Uconn (some games also for huskies), Iowa State, Stanford (again some games she would be the leader) and a few schools like SC that are built around an AA post player. When you have a pure shooter like her you build the game plan to get them their shots.
I'm not sure if Jackson is a pure shooter or more of the scorer type. Last year, in 15 games at Mississippi St, she shot 41% in fg and 24% from 3. Two years ago those #'s were 42% and 29.5%.
Her freshman year, she shot much better, 48% and 42% respectively.
This year, for the LV's, Rickea is shooting it well at 51% and 43%, from 2pt and 3pt range.
Though she has only taken 7 three point shots in 6 games. Maybe she needs to take more of them.

Overall no one person on this board can control what others feel or how they deliver information unfortunately , so telling others to leave or pick a new team is kind of a waste of time and breath.

I'm not trying to control this board,,,but I am asking people to be considerate of what this thread's aim is

Overall I think the board is mostly positive. You figure out the 8 to 10 negatives really fast. Not saying they don't have a right to be negative if that is their sincere desire, but the ones talking about firing are so far off line they don't even realize it. They might have a case in about three years depending on how things go, but they are on level zero right now. Even being conservative I counted that we should get about 16 wins in the next 20 games of the season and it could be a lot more really hard to see it being less unless we just give up and don't play.
That puts us at 18-8 mid conference. I’d take that!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Are you kidding? The dark one post an actual committable opinion?

Thought she might have an ace up her sleeve.

I just do not see anyone from the Lady Vols family tree who is a take. There are a couple who might surface within the next five years. Guess it is time to think outside the box. As she stated, Dave White seems to be dialed in very well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kellie, her staff, and the all the players deserve a fair shake. To attack the players looks, makeup, hair, culture, speech, etc is not fair. To call for a firing after a few games into the season isn't fair. To attack Kellie for the way she was hired or for who hired her or what her record was at other schools is not fair. All of that is irrelevant now that she is our coach. Constructive criticism of the team's play or an individual's play is fair. Destructive criticism or personal attacks are not fair. We owe them a fair shake, as we do all of our Volunteer teams.

Well, that settles it. Fire her now. The LVs won numerous close games down the stretch last season so there was no empirical evidence for your feeling. It just more bashing.

Admittedly, 100% from the gut. And to be fair, that isn't saying much.

I'm not sure if Jackson is a pure shooter or more of the scorer type. Last year, in 15 games at Mississippi St, she shot 41% in fg and 24% from 3. Two years ago those #'s were 42% and 29.5%.
Her freshman year, she shot much better, 48% and 42% respectively.
This year, for the LV's, Rickea is shooting it well at 51% and 43%, from 2pt and 3pt range.
Though she has only taken 7 three point shots in 6 games. Maybe she needs to take more of them.
Watch her shoot, she is a pure shooter. But if that does not convince you, she surely is the best shooter on the LV team, and as I said, your best shooter needs a game plan to get them the most shots. Fundamental at every level.

Watch her shoot, she is a pure shooter. But if that does not convince you, she surely is the best shooter on the LV team, and as I said, your best shooter needs a game plan to get them the most shots. Fundamental at every level.

Jackson is an efficient midrange and inside scorer. Horston is a relatively inefficient scorer but a great rebounder and jack of all trades. I'd like to see Jackson as the featured scorer, Horston as the featured rebounder/Swiss Army Knife do everything type, with a three point shooter on the floor at all times with an effective post prescence and with Powell at the point. I think that's our best identity.

Jackson is an efficient midrange and inside scorer. Horston is a relatively inefficient scorer but a great rebounder and jack of all trades. I'd like to see Jackson as the featured scorer, Horston as the featured rebounder/Swiss Army Knife do everything type, with a three point shooter on the floor at all times with an effective post prescence and with Powell at the point. I think that's our best identity.
She looks good from three this year also, like her freshman year. The thing with her is that she is one of those unicorn types that has all the tools, she can create her own shot at will, which is a very hard thing to do. We don’t have one like her at SC.

Horston can also create her own shot anytime, but her efficiency is not the same as Jackson’s. I like what the poster Al said where he proposed setting up the offense to get Jackson the most shots but also allowing Jordy to do the Swiss Army knife thing without taking over the offense herself.

@youcancallmeAl also mentioned above always having another 3 point shooter on the floor to compliment Jackson and Horston, and I believe that is why Coach Harper is playing Darby so many minutes. Darby has been solid shooting threes this year, she has a nice stroke when the shot is set up for her.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back