Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Are you saying that CKJH, who is there every day at practice, is in error, on evaluating JP's ability to play effectively at this level right now ?
You mean the same coach that has been starting games with 1 of our 2 best players on the bench? Until someone can convince me that that is a sound strategy, and you can't, then I will see it as I see it. Sometimes a coach doesn't know what they don't know. They are human. They are not infallible and Pat would have been the first to tell you she wasn't.

Are you saying that CKJH, who is there every day at practice, is in error, on evaluating JP's ability to play effectively at this level right now ?
I am a little suspect of her starters and who she plays. Not going to say that JP is the answer, but I don't see many players performing in games that would make me not want to give her more that a three minute tour of the floor. I think we can afford a ten minute stint in a game. She could either prove herself valuable or fall flat but without the chance who really knows. Sometimes practice doesn't answer that question.

I am a little suspect of her starters and who she plays. Not going to say that JP is the answer, but I don't see many players performing in games that would make me not want to give her more that a three minute tour of the floor. I think we can afford a ten minute stint in a game. She could either prove herself valuable or fall flat but without the chance who really knows. Sometimes practice doesn't answer that question.
what will happen, instead of losing by 17 you lost by 23? Maybe you only lose by 12 and she gives you 9 points instead of 6.

And the practice excise was played out by sitting RJ.

Time to start playing the best players. JH and RJ should not come off the floor unless they’re in foul trouble. Way too much in and out. Hopefully Kellie learned something after getting her butt kicked by six players!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Why can’t Tess or Sarah get open for 3pt shots the way Lopez does? Less athletic ability or coaching?
Lopez was constantly moving never stood still and our defensive players also got lost a few times for whatever reason. Puckett and Darby are not very active players. They don't move a lot and the only way they get shots is through drives by other players and passes to them from the paint.

what will happen, instead of losing by 17 you lost by 23? Maybe you only lose by 12 and she gives you 9 points instead of 6.

And the practice excise was played out by sitting RJ.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how playing her a few more minutes is going to goof up what this team is doing on defense. If not being able to play defense is the reason then we have a lot of people playing that can't play defense either.

Reactions: Lurker and tbwhhs
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how playing her a few more minutes is going to goof up what this team is doing on defense. If not being able to play defense is the reason then we have a lot of people playing that can't play defense either.
Beats her transferring to find a better situation. You don’t recruit AA to sit and waste a year.

She could take Darby's spot for at least 20 minutes a game they could rotate at that spot. No way she is not as good a player overall. She has the same three point shot. Time for her to play more.

I suppose you could go to a zone for those few minutes that JP is in for Darby. Of course, the team will have had to practice zone defense.

I suppose you could go to a zone for those few minutes that JP is in for Darby. Of course, the team will have had to practice zone defense.
The matchup zone which incorporates man to man situations as well is what we should've started with this year and been playing all year. You need to have speed to play a good man to man we have some players that can't do it. The matchup zones allows you to play man to man defense on the ball and still control an area in the zone. It was the main defense we ran when Pearl was here with the men's team. It can be very effective in helping any player that has man to man coverage deficiencies and it is much easier to help on the drives. Barnes team this year plays the man to man because they have the speed to do it. The Lady Vols do not have that speed in every player. The reason we played so well in the second quarter of the game vs UConn is because she went to the best speed we had in Jill, Jasmine, Rickea, Jordan Horston and Walker. That is your starting five and you just work players like Justine and others in a few minutes while always having at least three of them on the court. That is how we could play the man to man all the time and I agree to late to go to the zone this time of the season.

The matchup zone which incorporates man to man situations as well is what we should've started with this year and been playing all year. You need to have speed to play a good man to man we have some players that can't do it. The matchup zones allows you to play man to man defense on the ball and still control an area in the zone. It was the main defense we ran when Pearl was here with the men's team. It can be very effective in helping any player that has man to man coverage deficiencies and it is much easier to help on the drives. Barnes team this year plays the man to man because they have the speed to do it. The Lady Vols do not have that speed in every player. The reason we played so well in the second quarter of the game vs UConn is because she went to the best speed we had in Jill, Jasmine, Rickea, Jordan Horston and Walker. That is your starting five and you just work players like Justine and others in a few minutes while always having at least three of them on the court. That is how we could play the man to man all the time and I agree to late to go to the zone this time of the season.

Notre Dame , I can think of, played a matching zone during its championship run a few years ago.

Look I'm a coach not a fan. I call it as I see it.. And what I see is a kid who can shoot from the logo to the arc, who is improved on defense, who is also improved on not being one dimensional.

Adversely I see a player who's starting who is getting burned consistently by smaller quicker guards,, who doesn't have the wingspan of Justine and Hasn't displayed as much improvement as I would like to see.
I understand. You could have just said that you think the coach is wrong with not playing JP.

Reactions: Raebo and T_Vol376
Why can’t Tess or Sarah get open for 3pt shots the way Lopez does? Less athletic ability or coaching?
Because Tess and Sara are catch and shoot players. They also both just kind of hang around and wait for the ball to reverse their way instead of making their defender chase them all over the court. The other thing is that LLS can shoot on the move and can create her own shot if needed. Neither of the Tennessee sharpshooters can do that.

Who in their right mind would transfer now? Espec. over minutes? We can barely field a freaking team next year. Everyone gets minutes!
Depends on if there are players on the team who are chasing a NC (like Rickea did this year).

Reality is that Hollingshead can't transfer without losing another year and the rest of the players would probably be cheering from the bench if they went to a contender. So yeah, they are gonna get a ton of minutes.

Don't know about Pissott. She was a highly decorated HS player, so she might want to be on a more competitive team. Guess portal activity will determine a lot.

You mean the same coach that has been starting games with 1 of our 2 best players on the bench? Until someone can convince me that that is a sound strategy, and you can't, then I will see it as I see it. Sometimes a coach doesn't know what they don't know. They are human. They are not infallible and Pat would have been the first to tell you she wasn't.
That's a good argument and a difficult one to counter. Though the total number of minutes played for each would probably be the same if they both started or not.
It just seems more than a little strange that CKJH is watching a difference maker every day at practice, yet, for some unknown reason, refuses to play her in games.
If JP really could make a difference in games this year, then CKJH should be on the hot seat.

Depends on if there are players on the team who are chasing a NC (like Rickea did this year).

Reality is that Hollingshead can't transfer without losing another year and the rest of the players would probably be cheering from the bench if they went to a contender. So yeah, they are gonna get a ton of minutes.

Don't know about Pissott. She was a highly decorated HS player, so she might want to be on a more competitive team. Guess portal activity will determine a lot.
Good point and I guess I never thought of someone transferring out to be on a better team. JP might be the one who has that opportunity. Since Jill is locked in, I guess I was thinking of lateral transfers with equally bad shots at winning nattys for the others lol.

Mostly agree with your thoughts, though I don't think it's too late at all to practice and play some matchup zone. It's not rocket science. You do it to try and improve the defense and, thus, the team. What, are we going to keep doing what we don't do well? Defensively, we've gotten torched in /every/ game we've played against strong opponents--giving up point totals in the 80s. We'll just get our butts kicked in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. If we were so much better with the five players on the floor that you mentioned above--then why did Harper not stick with that lineup in the second half? One problem with that group is that that is has no dependable three-point shooters. Still, defense had to be more of a priority and so maybe that was the lineup to stick with. Unfortunately, she didn't do that and didn't play any zone (that I saw) and we got pole-axed by another good team.

VN Store

Back