Kellie’s media presser from earlier today (Saturday)

Thanks! God I love her! So analytical, such a good communicator. Makes me feel like she's going to get it done. Of course, she might not get it done, but listening to her gives me hope.

Spot on about the turnover plague - part decision making, part execution, part youth. Dismayed the same mistakes get repeated. Would not attribute it to lack of effort even when directly asked (I told ya'll). Said they run lots and lots of drills.

Didn't mention punishing them, preferred to teach and coach them. Let's see how that works out.

Loved at the end when she talked about Pat's example of asking for help when she needed it for a tough problem. Said that humbled her (as do 20 turnovers a game I'm sure) and that she always makes sure to reach out for advice.

Hey Coach J, you hear that?

Thanks! God I love her! So analytical, such a good communicator. Makes me feel like she's going to get it done. Of course, she might not get it done, but listening to her gives me hope.

Spot on about the turnover plague - part decision making, part execution, part youth. Dismayed the same mistakes get repeated. Would not attribute it to lack of effort even when directly asked (I told ya'll). Said they run lots and lots of drills.

Didn't mention punishing them, preferred to teach and coach them. Let's see how that works out.

Loved at the end when she talked about Pat's example of asking for help when she needed it for a tough problem. Said that humbled her (as do 20 turnovers a game I'm sure) and that she always makes sure to reach out for advice.

Then why doesn't she use her timeouts to teach and coach, every winning coach in the women's game does, and some of that carelessness would stop

She needs to be much tougher on those players when they consistently create turnovers. Seems to be repeat performances with no repercussions or change of behavior. Team appears soft and needs to build up strength especially the post players. Hope she develops a stern side and uses it whenever necessary. Right now she seems too nice, maybe feeling like she needs to tread softly in her first year. Long way to go with this team.

Then why doesn't she use her timeouts to teach and coach, every winning coach in the women's game does, and some of that carelessness would stop

She called several time-outs during the 2nd half when Uconn starting to take control of the game.

But, there is only so much teaching you can do in those brief time-outs. You can correct a match-up problem but you can't make a player stronger, or fitter, or give them a workable post move.

Somethings take a little time to change.

She needs to be much tougher on those players when they consistently create turnovers. Seems to be repeat performances with no repercussions or change of behavior. Team appears soft and needs to build up strength especially the post players. Hope she develops a stern side and uses it whenever necessary. Right now she seems too nice, maybe feeling like she needs to tread softly in her first year. Long way to go with this team.
Us keyboard coaches want a magic wand solution to the turnover problem. Hardest cores think if KJH just gets meaner, does the Pat stare, grabs a few jerseys, or runs them til they puke they'll CHOOSE to stop making mistakes out of fear. Slightly less hardass version of that is if the players just realize the value of each possession and the harm of turnovers they'll CHOOSE to stop making mistakes.

Of course the obvious problem with both of those approaches is that no one CHOOSES to make turnovers. So no amount of punishment or recognition of the problem will help one iota. We don't want to hear this, but Mtown is right, its a teaching process and takes time. The mental aspect, decision making, composure under fire is the root of the problem and is probably the most difficult thing to coach.

Rest assured everyone involved is aware of the problem and wants to correct it. Unfortunately, the previous staff knew this too, but never was able to teach and develop the skills needed to overcome the problem. Its why they're not here anymore.

Developing in game concentration, focus and decision making is the difference in average teams and players and really good ones. Also a coaching staff's biggest challenge and I sure hope KJH and staff are up to it. But it won't be accomplished by coaching cliches or magic wand waving.

Keyboard Coaches Magic Maxims:
1) Anyone not playing is better than anyone who is and should be given more minutes. (Sadly this is occasionally true, as in the current case of KK.)
2) Never let the final horn sound with a time out in your pocket. Time outs are magical run stoppers.
3) Since careless ball handling is clearly intentional naughty behavior, it can be corrected by punitive measures. If only players feared the coach and/or realized how harmful t.o.s are, they'd stop deciding to make them.
4) There will be many more magic maxims. Endless supply.

Harper said post game she called the obvious time out when the Hussies went on the rampage and her team had clearly lost composure. She admitted she was unable to reel her team back in and will work on being better at that. It's probably the hardest part of coaching.

The best high school coach I ever saw always said little, except for obvious strategic adjustments, during time outs. He felt if the endless hours of film and practice hadn't worked on big issues, there was little chance anything he could say in 30 seconds would help. Felt harping and screaming at that point, especially if team had already lost composure, was actually counterproductive. Compared it to yelling at a small child to stop crying. That ever work for anyone?

She called several time-outs during the 2nd half when Uconn starting to take control of the game.

But, there is only so much teaching you can do in those brief time-outs. You can correct a match-up problem but you can't make a player stronger, or fitter, or give them a workable post move.

Some fans just need to calm down... Last yr we lost if I'm not mistaken, 5 to 6 straight games. We need to give this coach a chance, She's been here less than a year..

Music to these ears, 98

I will be at the game today. (very possibly sitting in front of @T_Vol376 initially and moving to my seat later on)
;o)

At the start of the game I will be in the cross-side of the court so I can intently watch the coaching staff for the first time this season. If the game is tight I can get a good read on what I see, if we begin to run away with it, I will quickly move over to sit with my good friends. sv and T.
Before the game, I will sit and watch the warmups in 107 so I can see the game-faces of the players.
My injury has kept me from being able to do this and now that I am near-healed, it is time to do what I do

I will be approaching the new staff later this season, GT, for sure. But as far as right now, I have to give AL Brown his chance.
If Kellie or John wants to communicate with me before then, I am ready to be there for them and will have suggestions for them to consider.
I am easy to find, GT. I fear noone and nothing and welcome scrutiny. . . Of which I will surely get.!
But my skin is thick, to the point of armor.

This is a phenomenon popularized by the Evil Genius II (Geno),,,,letting them play through adversity
Many teams have adopted this tactic of growing their teams
trouble is, it only works if the teams are at the point where it benefits them...otherwise it is a great way to take the life out of a team

Coach K could do this in a lesser conference, with superior players in that conference,,,But here in the upper echelons of the SEC and facing ranked foes and equal athleticism and talent,,,,timing of doing this tactic is essential

Last edited:

NO, mtv,,we called a timeout in at 7:53 in Q2 after giving up the lead to a 6 point run and did not call another one even when the run went to 17-2
The second one was called util 3:06 left in the game
two went home with us

Reactions: RollerVol
Coach I was actually only kidding. Laying low is probably your best strategy right now. I'm sure Coach Brown appreciates you giving him a chance

Reactions: T_Vol376

Ironically, I watched a replay(I think it was 1998) of Tenn. vs U Conn, last Thursday, and the lady vols had over 20 turnovers. Pat did not call a timeout once, nor get in the face of anyone because of a turnover, (of course the TV cameras do not always catch everything that goes on the bench) I think Kelly will get us back on top, with huge gains next season.

Generally speaking, punishing drills don't work with today's players. Just like PT, transfer portal gathers those who feel they have been mistreated. Coaches today have adjusted for the most part. JMHO.

I want to see her get mad!!! Like enough or you sit!!!!

Music to these ears, 98

I will be at the game today. (very possibly sitting in front of @T_Vol376 initially and moving to my seat later on)
;o)

I will quickly move over to sit with my good friends. sv and T.

I’m not going today suga - I know that breaks your heart. 😉

Besides the time you were sitting in front of me, another time, you were sitting on one side of @Smallvol#1 and I was on the other and you didn’t even know it. 😎

You never know where I’ll be! 😁

Reactions: stllvf
Call timeouts to correct turnovers, lol. Basketball is not a game of predetermined decisions. It is a game where players must make very quick decisions, in the moment, based on the actions/positions of the opponent. In practice, you can condition players responses against certain types of looks/actions of the defense. And that must be repped over and over again to create good habits. But at the end of the day you also have to realize being able to make split second decisions based on factors that change is a skill and some players can struggle with it for a long time. Some players can never fully develop it.

I’m not going today suga - I know that breaks your heart. 😉

Besides the time you were sitting in front of me, another time, you were sitting on one side of @Smallvol#1 and I was on the other and you didn’t even know it. 😎

You never know where I’ll be! 😁
Oh... cloak, meet dagger...I have now narrowed you down to 9,346 people

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
Some fans just need to calm down... Last yr we lost if I'm not mistaken, 5 to 6 straight games. We need to give this coach a chance, She's been here less than a year..

Check out the upcoming schedule beginning with today’s game against LSU. Another losing streak may be coming.

VN Store

Back