Keller Chryst Shines...

i think at this point it's probably ok to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on the attitude thing. it's been a year since. a lot has changed. no reason yet to think he just might have changed as well.
Agreed.
Thats fixed unless or until it happens again. It appears he's put his focus toward earning the spot.

Reactions: jakez4ut
So if KC is as bad as most on here think then we are screwed since JG didn’t run away with the job. If KC wins the job how many on here will continue to doubt him?

i think the "most" is a tad exaggerated. i think we have two comparable guys competing for the job, both of which bring shortcomings to the table they need to overcome.

the one shortcoming that will trump all others is who is the most careless with the ball (sacks/turnovers etc...). they'll live with a guy that may not be as big play oriented if he proves to be more secure with the ball. which could favor KC. if JG proves he can take care of the ball and make good decisions, it's hard to ignore his upside.

we'll see how it shakes out.

Reactions: jerrync
I could be wrong but did CJP say he wanted to have a qb named “early”? I remember something like that either in the spring or maybe at the press conf before practice.

I could be wrong but did CJP say he wanted to have a qb named “early”? I remember something like that either in the spring or maybe at the press conf before practice.
he said that would be his preference, so they could start working on chemistry with the whole offense. didn't say he would do it just because of that. but ideally, he would like to be able to do that fairly early on in camp.

It’s poorly written because it isn’t clear what he meant. Stop bolding, capitalizing, and exclamation marking stuff like a prick. It doesn’t prove anything.
According to Swain this morning, the headline to Brice’s article is misleading . While Chryst did indeed have his best showing of fall camp on Sunday, he did not play better than JG. Both were solid and efficient, which is a change to date for Chryst.

Also said that JG has been and continues to be in the driver’s seat barring some really poor performances in the next couple weeks. Said that Chryst was brought in because the coaches were very concerned about McBride being the backup, not about JG being the starter. JG doesn’t have it locked up, but Chryst’s good performance in the scrimmage did not somehow catapult him past JG, only helped cement and strengthen our backup QB position. Tifwiw.

According to Swain this morning, the headline to Brice’s article is misleading . While Chryst did indeed have his best showing of fall camp on Sunday, he did not play better than JG. Both were solid and efficient, which is a change to date for Chryst.

Also said that JG has been and continues to be in the driver’s seat barring some really poor performances in the next couple weeks. Said that Chryst was brought in because the coaches were very concerned about McBride being the backup, not about JG being the starter. JG doesn’t have it locked up, but Chryst’s good performance in the scrimmage did not somehow catapult him past JG, only helped cement and strengthen our backup QB position. Tifwiw.
i'll buy that. at least it's a different reason why KC got the reps he got.

i think at this point it's probably ok to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on the attitude thing. it's been a year since. a lot has changed. no reason yet to think he just might have changed as well.

To say the least. Did JG’s detractors, of which there are plenty on here, not watch how the kid competed last season after the GATech game where he was upset? The kid bounced back nicely, was tough as nails (as Pruitt has stated) and finished the year by showing excellent leadership alongside Trey Smith after the last game of the year. People still trying to hold onto JG’s behavior that first game, after seeing him compete the rest of the season last year, are pushing an unfair agenda against the kid if you ask me.

i'll buy that. at least it's a different reason why KC got the reps he got.

The coaches are doing what they said they’d do, give the guys a chance to compete. JG took nearly all the 1st team reps the week before at the Open practice, and they let Chryst get a lot of, if not most of the 1st team reps this week during the scrimmage.

Additionally, I heard someone suggest (Austin Price I think) that they also let Chryst have those 1st team reps (and McBride some 2nd team reps) to see how JG would “respond”, especially emotionally, since they’ve said the biggest thing he needs to correct (besides holding the ball too long) is his affect, his emotions on the field....to be more even keel, calm and in control.

The coaches are doing what they said they’d do, give the guys a chance to compete. JG took nearly all the 1st team reps the week before at the Open practice, and they let Chryst get a lot of, if not most of the 1st team reps this week during the scrimmage.

Additionally, I heard someone suggest (Austin Price I think) that they also let Chryst have those 1st team reps (and McBride some 2nd team reps) to see how JG would “respond”, especially emotionally, since they’ve said the biggest thing he needs to correct (besides holding the ball too long) is his affect, his emotions on the field....to be more even keel, calm and in control.
yeah, that's something i thought as well, and hearing those guys talk about it, kinda confirmed it. especially since CJP spent a lot of time talking about facing adversity, creating situations to challenge mental and physical toughness etc...

the only thing that doesn't jive with that is CJP also said he'd prefer to have a starter earlier in camp to start building chemistry, so if JG was/is in the lead AND they are feeling comfortable with him as potentially being the starter, why take away reps from him with the ones? answer: they may not be there yet with him....so back to square one.

i think i just go back to what i said earlier...it's the first scrimmage. we'll know more going forward. i think we're all probably reading way too much in to what we've heard about it.

Reactions: sjt18
To say the least. Did JG’s detractors, of which there are plenty on here, not watch how the kid competed last season after the GATech game where he was upset? The kid bounced back nicely, was tough as nails (as Pruitt has stated) and finished the year by showing excellent leadership alongside Trey Smith after the last game of the year. People still trying to hold onto JG’s behavior that first game, after seeing him compete the rest of the season last year, are pushing an unfair agenda against the kid if you ask me.
Yes... he had a "good" attitude AFTER he got what he wanted. He only missed playing in two games after GT and one was due to injury. That's not a test of whether his attitude improved or not.

And the doubts about him aren't limited to that. In fact, the bigger doubts arise from his weaknesses in reading D's, decision making, and managing the O. Of course, KC is at UT in part because he struggled with decision making at times as well. I re-watched the UK game the other day. JG has to improve on the mental part of the game.

I'm definitely willing to chalk it up to poor player management by Jones. I think Kelly's situation gave us some insight to that as well as Hurd. But he still needs to put the team first even when it doesn't match his personal agenda.

He had a good attitude after the GT game. I don't recall him pouting during the UF game even though we may have won if he played. Or the UGA game either. He had one bad game attitude wise.

It's still early. This is only the third week.

I don't mind QB controversies or even a two QB system based on one thing ...

... both of them are great QBs.

Most times you are very fortunate to have 1 top shelf QB. Rarely there are two that can interchange or compete with each other. But 98% of the time in controversy, it's a case where 2 or more QBs are mediocre. The team and staff are trying to find someone /anyone who can bring a spark or be consistent.

So with that being the case, I hope our top 2 guys finish 1 & 2 in the Heisman this year. No particular order. And we have a knock down drag out controversy swapping out both guys all the way to the last series and victory formation in the Natty.

I watched several game film highlights of him when he was with Stanford. He definitely would be our best bet in the Red Zone. He can run a lot better than I expected and is built like a full back very hard to bring down. He would be a huge option inside the ten.

I watched several game film highlights of him when he was with Stanford. He definitely would be our best bet in the Red Zone. He can run a lot better than I expected and is built like a full back very hard to bring down. He would be a huge option inside the ten.
Butch isn't here anymore broski. Why not just give it to an actual fullback?

Thanks for post! I’m waiting for 1 guy to execute without throwing picks. Interesting:
- Good to hear that Chryst may be coming on....
- Both Chryst & JG threw picks to 2 true freshmen in the scrimmage. Last week in practice, another true frosh Alontae Taylor picked off several passes. Good players or bad passes?
- Evidently RBs played well. Jordan ran around the edge to score. I think I know which OLB lost contain.
Is Kongbo going to be the new Jumper this year? Why can't we give him a chance before we condemn him?

Wow. Not mad? You sound mad.

You're wrong about that last part. If JG is leading (and a lot of people here think I'm anti-JG but I'm not) then they could be working on something more advanced in the O with him. If he's already shown he can perform against certain D's then they could be challenging him differently than KC. Considering KC's experience I hope that's not the case... but I've been around here a long time. Long enough to remember the scrimmages leading up to the 2006 season. Based on the stats and reports, many thought Crompton was seriously challenging Ainge. And what was reported about Ainge was pretty awful. Under 50%, INT's, miscues...

When it all washed out, Cut was just challenging Ainge on a different level. Crompton wasn't ready for the things they were throwing at Ainge. Ainge was the starter. They were just trying to figure out what he could handle and do.
I think cutcliffe decided very early on that Crompton just did not have it between the ears and that Ainge was a better option even with a broken pinky. If you rewatch the season you'll see that ainge couldn't throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield until the bowl game.

VN Store

Back