Keller Chryst-Great Pocket Presence

I've been of the 'JG is the best QB on the roster' view, but honestly, if our O-line blocks better this season, QB play is going to improve regardless of whether it's JG or Chryst. Of course, this is part of the reason why I think JG is being so severely underestimated; he put up pretty decent stats in a nightmare situation with virtually no O-line protection.

Not being facetious when I say this, but one of the most impressive Chryst highlights is the play around 2:00 when he gets sacked. He gets absolutely drilled from the blindside on that play, but has the wherewithal to immediately tuck the ball. That's the type of play that can easily lead to a fumble.

Reactions: 6 people
But JG is gonna transfer to Rutgers after Chryst takes the job according to some

IF, he does transfer, it will be to Ohio State. I hope he doesn't trans out and truly think he won't. But if he does, it's OSU.

Huh? Who says I'm taking sides? All I'm saying is:

JG 2017 passer rating - 128.6
KC 2017 passer rating - 123.1

You show me "film" that tells me why I should anoint the new guy the starter before his first practice.

Those passer ratings are telling. Especially since JG’s rating was earned in the SEC behind no line whatsoever and an inept coaching staff.

Reactions: 2 people
All I saw was a guy that stares down receivers and holds the ball too long. Serious question: was this a highlight tape?

2017 Stats:

J.G. : Rushing 66 attempts for -39 yards for 1 T.D.

K.C. : No rushing stats.

J.G. : 86 Completions 139 Attempts 997 yds. T.D.'s 4 Int's. 1

K.C. 78 Completions 144 Attempts 962 yds.
T.D.'s 8 Int's: 4

I like what I see out of this young man and in this video, our receivers are better.

Keller Chryst (Stanford QB) vs Oregon 2016 - YouTube

One could also pull video from the San Diego and Oregon State games and wonder why in the heck Pruitt would even take the kid.

He was pedestrian behind a much better O-Line against PAC-12 defenses with the Heisman runner up in his back field. He had a significant advantage and managed to statistically underperform vs. Guarantano. Yes his team won but that was more so due to a good defense and All-World running game vs. his play.

Reactions: 3 people
As with anything, "You see what you want to see". Some see he's got grit. Some say he's no better option based off of the film. If your mind has been already made up either way, that's what you're going to go with.

Reactions: 1 person
As with anything, "You see what you want to see". Some see he's got grit. Some say he's no better option based off of the film. If your mind has been already made up either way, that's what you're going to go with.

Agreed. It's better to just list each ones characteristics then do a pros and cons list to stay neutral.

Edit: So someone do that for me, because I'm lazy. K thanks.

Unless Chryst is absolutely lights out in August, I think JG will start against WVA. From there it’s up to him to keep the job.
Either way Chryst will get some reps. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Just prior to the 2:00 mark video does show he can hold onto the ball real well when he gets the Dill knocked outta his Pickle....May be a good skill set if last years OL shows back up...

It will come down to who makes the fewer mistakes and has the capability to manage the game. Everyone deserves a clean slate with the new staff. Even though the line was terrible I think we can all agree JG held the ball too long and took some bad sacks. That’s fixable, but he has to manage the game.

On the first attempt, he threw it into the ground. On the second attempt, he was a little late. Then I saw a good deep ball (with the announcer talking about accuracy issues), a shovel pass, a check down, a screen and thought... "This isn't exactly a bunch of deep drops under pressure." Then on the next play he took a 3 step drop, held onto it too long and got dumped... I laughed and clicked the red X.

I agree which is rare with you, being a mod I don't need to ruffle your feathers but spot on here sir.

KC just doesn't move the meter for me. I care not who starts, I just want a QB that can manage the game, low turnover percentage, and makes the defense have to think. If it's KC then so be it but if it's JG, I hope he lights it up. More upside with JG than Chryst. We only have him for one year and I'd rather JG make stronger strides to being in the talks of the best QB's in the league. IMHO.

I've been of the 'JG is the best QB on the roster' view, but honestly, if our O-line blocks better this season, QB play is going to improve regardless of whether it's JG or Chryst. Of course, this is part of the reason why I think JG is being so severely underestimated; he put up pretty decent stats in a nightmare situation with virtually no O-line protection.

Not being facetious when I say this, but one of the most impressive Chryst highlights is the play around 2:00 when he gets sacked. He gets absolutely drilled from the blindside on that play, but has the wherewithal to immediately tuck the ball. That's the type of play that can easily lead to a fumble.
Not to mention the WR position is the deepest and skilled it's been in years plus Johnson is one of the better WR coaches in CFB.

Reactions: 3 people
I know with the post shared earlier that peeps want to name him the starter.... Pump your brakes just little folks lets see what they can do & pray that the coaches get it right by naming the guy that gives us the best chance to win.

giphy.gif

It's late July! The days of brake pumping are gone!

VN Store

Back