Keep Phillip Fulmer

Sudeepvol

I was listening to the Sports Animal and this morning at about 10 AM (I think it's hosted by the Knoxville News Sentinel) and they made quite a few great points about Phillip Fulmer and why people really need to get off of his back.

1.) The man has GREAT consistency coaching in the toughest conference in the land. Over 15 years, he is probably averaging 9 wins a season. That stat is very comparable to Spurrier's. I do not think we can get a proven coach that is as consistent as Fulmer year in and year out.

2.) Winning Percentage. a 74% winning percentage in 15 years of coaching the toughest conference is almost unheard of.

3.) Some fans may say we're not as good as we used to be. Look at the SEC top to bottom in the nineties. Look at the SEC top to bottom now. Enough said.

4.) Recruiting. Top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out. There isn't great talent in the state of Tennessee so the coaching staff has to go around the country ever year and convince young men to play football out of the state. Fulmer doesn't have it as easy as Urban Meyer does where all the talent they need is right in their own state.

Bottom line is, no other coach (save for Spurrier) can achieve great consistency in wins and recruiting in the toughest conference over such a long period of time.

Get off his back.

Do we really need to go through this again and post the facts to refute your post above? I don't think anyone here has a personal vendetta against Fulmer. The decline of the program is what we have a disdain for. I hope he gets it turned around and keeps it that way. Things are rosey now after the UGA beating. However, let us stumble at Miss. St. and the wolves will be howling.

Do we really need to go through this again and post the facts to refute your post above? I don't think anyone here has a personal vendetta against Fulmer. The decline of the program is what we have a disdain for. I hope he gets it turned around and keeps it that way. Things are rosey now after the UGA beating. However, let us stumble at Miss. St. and the wolves will be howling.

why don't you refute my arguments first?

Save this post for the end of the year. Thats when phil's judgement will be in. Then maybe some people will get off his back or be proven right, either way you'll have to wait till season's end.

I agree with you....Fulmer may be out of a date a little bit and appear to be a little bit useless at times...BUT the guy can field a football team, and when the players actually listen to him we have great results...All the Fulmer bashers need to take notes on these things that i am fixing to write..

1. If it weren't for CPF we wouldnt have had a 1998 national championship or the back to back SECCG's. Johnny Majors was great, but he couldnt do that for our program.

2. If it weren't for CPF UT wouldnt be a college football team worth talking about and whoever the coach or coaches shall I say that replaces him would even be in the same statement as CPF is.

3. And finally back in the good ole days of the mid 1990's CPF was crowned the king of knoxville, but what we (the fans) forget to realize is at that time the SEC wasnt the conference that it is today, dont believe me look at UGA and LSU for example, ask a bayou bengal about the 1990's they will probably tell you that it was a bad nightmare. UT,FL, AU and Bama were the SEC programs at that time, and never in a million dreams would you even mention Kentucky, South Carolina or Vanderbilt as teams that could compete for the SECCG. Now adays every team has a punchers chance in every game they play.

Bash away everyone please, heres your free shot at a guy that loves UT football, and supports CPF and his staff as well.....

11919753198263.jpg

LEAVE HIM ALONE!:)

Yeah, Tennessee never fielded nationally ranked teams before Fulmer became the head coach. That Neyland guy was awful. The Dickey Era was pathetic. Majors' last four years were an embarassment. We should rename the stadium after Fulmer.

I agree with you....Fulmer may be out of a date a little bit and appear to be a little bit useless at times...BUT the guy can field a football team, and when the players actually listen to him we have great results...All the Fulmer bashers need to take notes on these things that i am fixing to write..

1. If it weren't for CPF we wouldnt have had a 1998 national championship or the back to back SECCG's. Johnny Majors was great, but he couldnt do that for our program.

2. If it weren't for CPF UT wouldnt be a college football team worth talking about and whoever the coach or coaches shall I say that replaces him would even be in the same statement as CPF is.

3. And finally back in the good ole days of the mid 1990's CPF was crowned the king of knoxville, but what we (the fans) forget to realize is at that time the SEC wasnt the conference that it is today, dont believe me look at UGA and LSU for example, ask a bayou bengal about the 1990's they will probably tell you that it was a bad nightmare. UT,FL, AU and Bama were the SEC programs at that time, and never in a million dreams would you even mention Kentucky, South Carolina or Vanderbilt as teams that could compete for the SECCG. Now adays every team has a punchers chance in every game they play.

Bash away everyone please, heres your free shot at a guy that loves UT football, and supports CPF and his staff as well.....
Phil deserves credit for making tennessee football a house hold name and elite team of the 90's. Thats all i have to say on the matter.

Yeah, Tennessee never fielded nationally ranked teams before Fulmer became the head coach. That Neyland guy was awful. The Dickey Era was pathetic. Majors' last four years were an embarassment. We should rename the stadium after Fulmer.
talking about modern era genius....if you want to get into an arguement about past football teams than we might as well say man whats the deal with Army football program....it would be a mistake to run phil out and you know it....

whos going to replace him? Peterson!!! what has he done, play in a subpar conference where each year he faces the juggernauts of utah and utah state and the annual showdown vs. byu....wow what a resume!

Kelly from Cinncinatti.....dont even want to get into that

Leavitt from USF.....HE WONT LEAVE USF!!!

Rich Rodriguez....look above

Spurrier!!!! dont even want to go there....plus hes like 60 years old, thought you guys wanting something young and refreshing...

Gruden....He would punch a player with two weeks of arriving on campus...

there is nobody out there that would want the kinda pressure that ut has....

This "modern era" you're talking about, that would be the one in which Fulmer's career winning percentage against Spurrier, Saban, Richt, and Tuberville is below 40%?

Plenty of guys have won more than 2 SEC titles in a 15 year tenure.

has anyone won as many games as Fulmer in a 15 year tenure. The only reason why Fulmer can't win the east every year is because of Florida. Every coach has one of those opponents that they find difficult to beat on a consistent basis. For Spurrier it was Bowden. Luckily FSU wasn't apart of the SEC east. For UGA its Florida. For Alabama it's Tennessee.

Any coach we bring in here will have as much difficulty with Florida as Fulmer is having. I guarantee it.

Mrs. Fulmer, welcome to the board.

:eek:hmy:

VN Store

Back