Kayak

Apologies for bringing this thread back from the netherworld, but does anyone have first-hand experience with Crescent kayaks (particularly the Lite Tackle or the CK1)? I was previously looking at a Vibe Sea Ghost, but I like the idea of a more open deck and the simplicity of the Crescent. I was enamored with the rudder setup on the Sea Ghost at that price point, but I reminded myself that by and large the bulk of my paddling (phrasing?) will be taking place on rivers and small-medium lakes in my area. I didn't use a rudder when I lived on the coast (aside from a few rentals way back) so I think I can get by without one further inland for sure.

Gonna stop by a local retailer to see what Crescent kayaks they have first-hand, but I figured I'd see if anyone here had experience (good or bad) as well. If I get really crazy, I may look at the Crescent Crew in hopes that I can coax the wife (or a step-kid) to get into it...the option to move the seats around to accommodate solo or tandem paddling is somewhat intriguing, although the prospect of maneuvering a 13' beastlike that on a Class I-II river doesn't make me holler with joy...maybe it handles better than I think?

Apologies for bringing this thread back from the netherworld, but does anyone have first-hand experience with Crescent kayaks (particularly the Lite Tackle or the CK1)? I was previously looking at a Vibe Sea Ghost, but I like the idea of a more open deck and the simplicity of the Crescent. I was enamored with the rudder setup on the Sea Ghost at that price point, but I reminded myself that by and large the bulk of my paddling (phrasing?) will be taking place on rivers and small-medium lakes in my area. I didn't use a rudder when I lived on the coast (aside from a few rentals way back) so I think I can get by without one further inland for sure.

Gonna stop by a local retailer to see what Crescent kayaks they have first-hand, but I figured I'd see if anyone here had experience (good or bad) as well. If I get really crazy, I may look at the Crescent Crew in hopes that I can coax the wife (or a step-kid) to get into it...the option to move the seats around to accommodate solo or tandem paddling is somewhat intriguing, although the prospect of maneuvering a 13' beastlike that on a Class I-II river doesn't make me holler with joy...maybe it handles better than I think?
I’m also considering Crescent Litetackle or CK1. Seems that we fish similar types of water. There are some really good reviews on YouTube for both models if you haven’t seen already.

Reactions: tbh
I’m also considering Crescent Litetackle or CK1. Seems that we fish similar types of water. There are some really good reviews on YouTube for both models if you haven’t seen already.

Yes, Headwaters has done several reviews/comparisons of those platforms that helped steer me in that direction. There are a few random reviews where they're on rivers with some shoals as well (class I-II type of stuff) that caught my eye too...it'd be perfect for a couple of rivers near my location. Originally I was leaning CK1, but the extra buoyancy/capacity of the LT (plus more availability in my area, it seems) has me leaning that way now. Seems like either would suit my needs, so it may come down to whichever one is in stock nearby. I'm definitely going to pick up one of the seat risers too.

Yes, Headwaters has done several reviews/comparisons of those platforms that helped steer me in that direction. There are a few random reviews where they're on rivers with some shoals as well (class I-II type of stuff) that caught my eye too...it'd be perfect for a couple of rivers near my location. Originally I was leaning CK1, but the extra buoyancy/capacity of the LT (plus more availability in my area, it seems) has me leaning that way now. Seems like either would suit my needs, so it may come down to whichever one is in stock nearby. I'm definitely going to pick up one of the seat risers too.
LT is the way I’m leaning just for the capacity and standing stability on flat water

Definitely go with the Crescent over the Vibe. Vibe has their hulls made in China and they pick them up down in Savannah to bring up to their headquarters to put all the components on. I wouldn't trust their hulls to take a lot of abuse or last a really long time. Crescent kayaks are made in my old hometown Carrollton, GA and their hulls are really well made. The quality is just much better overall.

That being said, I've been a Hobie guy for the last 11 years. If you can swing it, the new Lynx is probably the best all around fishing machine in my opinion. Light, easy to transport, very versatile, and easy to stand up on. I'm considering selling my Compass to get one to go along with the Compass Duo I have for taking my son out fishing. I pretty much only do inshore saltwater fishing, but the Lynx would be great in ponds and lakes too. The Hobie is expensive but worth it.

Definitely go with the Crescent over the Vibe. Vibe has their hulls made in China and they pick them up down in Savannah to bring up to their headquarters to put all the components on. I wouldn't trust their hulls to take a lot of abuse or last a really long time. Crescent kayaks are made in my old hometown Carrollton, GA and their hulls are really well made. The quality is just much better overall.

That being said, I've been a Hobie guy for the last 11 years. If you can swing it, the new Lynx is probably the best all around fishing machine in my opinion. Light, easy to transport, very versatile, and easy to stand up on. I'm considering selling my Compass to get one to go along with the Compass Duo I have for taking my son out fishing. I pretty much only do inshore saltwater fishing, but the Lynx would be great in ponds and lakes too. The Hobie is expensive but worth it.

Yep, that's another factor (quality/origin) that led me to Crescent. I have a pal who has a few Vibe kayaks and is happy with them, but for my money I'd feel better going with the Crescent. Good to hear my hunch isn't unfounded.

That Hobie Lynx is slick, and would've been right up my alley if I still lived on the coast (or moved to property on a lake). Even with taking the pedal drive out, I'm not sure I'd feel good about taking it down any sort of river with rocks, etc at that price point (more of a commentary on me than the kayak, haha). That's impressive that they got the weight down to 45 pounds (is that including the pedal drive and the seat?!).

Got a call from the local outfitter shop, and he's making a run to the Crescent to pick up some he had on order. It looks like he's going to have room on his trailer to bring a Lite Tackle back for me to buy. Apparently those and the Crew are easier to get ahold of than the CK1s (which are the "hot new model"). Barring unforeseens, I should have a Lite Tackle in the garage by Wednesday evening...

...and now I ought to sell my Dagger Axis to make room for the new addition. Any luck on recommended avenues through which to sell a boat (with the absolute last resort being FB Marketplace)?

Got a call from the local outfitter shop, and he's making a run to the Crescent to pick up some he had on order. It looks like he's going to have room on his trailer to bring a Lite Tackle back for me to buy. Apparently those and the Crew are easier to get ahold of than the CK1s (which are the "hot new model"). Barring unforeseens, I should have a Lite Tackle in the garage by Wednesday evening...

...and now I ought to sell my Dagger Axis to make room for the new addition. Any luck on recommended avenues through which to sell a boat (with the absolute last resort being FB Marketplace)?
I've sold countless kayaks via Craigslist...even some rarer and more expensive South African built fiberglass fishing kayaks.

A buddy of mine has a really nice kayak, but it’s heavy. It’s ok if you’re somewhere that’s an easy launch point, but even with his cart it can be a bit much if you have to go down a path or steep trail to get to the water. It’s not great doing some of the creeks either. It is good on rivers and lakes though. I’ve got an old sit in Perception that I’ve had for 15 years. It’s great on the Caney Fork and the creeks I float and only weighs 28 lbs

Pickens. if you're on the Caney Fork you're pretty close to me!! :):) part of the year:)

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Pickens. if you're on the Caney Fork you're pretty close to me!! :):) part of the year:)
I go there a lot during the summer months…. It’s only 40 minutes away as I live in Mt.Juliet/Lebanon.
I hate that so many people go there now. When I first started going in the late 80’s it was awesome.

Reactions: Go aeiou
If you’re looking at a sit in for fishing, you need to consider how the seat is configured with regard to access behind it. Look at the area behind the seat on this one. You can’t reach behind it with your hands.... and there are gaps under the seat and on each side of it. A small tackle box will slide through the gaps and irritate the heck out of you. You’ll have to pull over, get out and tilt it up. The second one below is similar to mine. You can use the area behind the seat for jackets/gear or whatever. I bought some Velcro and glued two strips on the two raised areas right in front of the seat and on the back of my tackle box..... works great.View attachment 349647View attachment 349649
A buddy of mine has the bottom one in this picture. Loves it. He even added a trolling motor to it.

Anybody in Charlotte area? A group of us regularly kayak the Catawba from the pump house in Rock Hill down to the Catawba Indian Reservation boat launch. It's typically a 3-4 hour float. Let me know if you are interested.

I go there a lot during the summer months…. It’s only 40 minutes away as I live in Mt.Juliet/Lebanon.
I hate that so many people go there now. When I first started going in the late 80’s it was awesome.
I live just down road from Providence. 3 mi.
Started fishing below Center hill dam in the early 70s. Things have changed. Especially in the last 10 years.

LT is the way I’m leaning just for the capacity and standing stability on flat water

Picked mine up on Friday, and took it out for a spin on the local reservoir...I'm a fan. All the talk I'd heard about the great tracking/maneuverability and top-end speed were confirmed. Looking to get on a river to see how it does in moving water.

20210731_115505.jpg

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Picked mine up on Friday, and took it out for a spin on the local reservoir...I'm a fan. All the talk I'd heard about the great tracking/maneuverability and top-end speed were confirmed. Looking to get on a river to see how it does in moving water.

View attachment 384212
Nice boat.
I’m a Nucanoe guy but I am interested in Crescents solo skiff.

Nice boat.
I’m a Nucanoe guy but I am interested in Crescents solo skiff.

Thanks! I'm pleased with it (and that it lived up to the hype, especially)!

With the right propulsion, I could probably get myself into some trouble in the solo skiff from the looks of it. Only half joking.

The solo skiff platform looks pretty intriguing; it kinda reminds me of the little side by side catamaran-type skiffs I'd see from time to time zipping around the intracoastal waterway and marshes back in NE FL.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I’m positively jealous. Keep us posted when you get on the river.

Will do!

The shop owner I bought mine from said it's starting to slowly open back up in terms of availability of the CK1s too so it seems production and supply is starting to catch up somewhat.

Ponds, lake, slow river, some whitewater, small creeks, BUDGET, etc? Too many options to answer that question. Seriously , there are a hundred decent fishing kayaks out there from $400 to $4000. Narrow your search, then consider starting with a pre-owned boat. Plenty of good ones available from folks looking to upgrade or especially those who jumped in and now don't use the kayak as much as they thought they would.

I was hoping for one til the budget had to go elsewhere and did alot of researching. My preferences were a sit on top fisher that you could stand on, had the option to mount a trolling motor on back. and kind of mid length so you could do lakes or streams. Kayaks are like candy stores. So you have to make a list after browsing all the options. Jackson makes good kayaks.

VN Store

Back