Kara Lawson hired as an assistant for the Celtics

People change their minds. She told people that inquired for 10+ years that she did not have a desire to even interview for jobs at any level.

Yes it was, for a time, true that she’d insisted she wasn’t interested in coaching. But then, also yes, smart people are willing to change if they are subjected to compelling new experiences/information/ideas that sway them. Thus, we’ve known for a couple of years now that she had, in fact, become highly interested in coaching because she was quoted a good while back saying something to the effect of she’d “caught the coaching bug” after her first successful, obviously highly rewarding turn as coach of a couple of USA basketball’s 3x3 Gold Medalist teams.

That said, I can see how the pragmatic Kara Lawson would consider herself under-qualified to take over as HEAD COACH of the program her beloved mentor built. But in her heart of hearts, I suspect she also recognizes that she has a gift — one that blesses her with a helluva lot bigger mental capacity for understanding and effectively communicating the intricacies of the game at its highest levels than most TOP head coaches today have, and she has now, for whatever reason, decided that she is willing to jump in head first to go be the BEST damn assistant coach in the strongest basketball league on the planet. And after she’s proved her mettle there? Watch out! She’ll have the pick of the job litter someday.

Last edited:
People change their minds. She told people that inquired for 10+ years that she did not have a desire to even interview for jobs at any level.
I guess that is why this is a little surprising. I had the understanding she wanted nothing to do with coaching at all... but I guess being offered a job on the Celtics bench could change one's mind. Congrats to her! She will be working under a great young coach on a contender.

I guess that is why this is a little surprising. I had the understanding she wanted nothing to do with coaching at all... but I guess being offered a job on the Celtics bench could change one's mind. Congrats to her! She will be working under a great young coach on a contender.
Sadly, we won't be a contender this year unless we get some help in free agency. We have no post game since Horford is taking off with Kyrie. Our three best players also play the same position and aren't particularly useful playing outside of the wing.

Kara will have her work cut out for her, but Stevens is an excellent coach to learn from.

Reactions: sccshortstop
It is amazing to me that some members of this supposed UT fanbase will use anything as fodder to be negative. Something good happens to one person, so it automatically becomes the basis for a FIRE KELLY campaign the minute anything goes off kilter for the Lady Vols. The miserable minority rules throughout the BVS crowd.

Great for Kara she is a highly intelligent and confident person. I'd be willing to bet that this was already in the works when AD Fulmer interviewed her.

Reactions: lvocd
Harper's clock is now ticking a little faster....

I like Harper and I like Lawson...I also like a winner.

It is amazing to me that some members of this supposed UT fanbase will use anything as fodder to be negative. Something good happens to one person, so it automatically becomes the basis for a FIRE KELLY campaign the minute anything goes off kilter for the Lady Vols. The miserable minority rules throughout the BVS crowd.

BINGO!
I’m very happy for Kara, as we doubtless all are; but, these “Kellie’d better watch it” posts are a bit discourteous.
I feel certain that Coach Harper is aware of the high-stakes associated with the decision that Coach Fulmer recently made. And, that she welcomes the accompanying high expectations.
Anyhow, Kellie Harper will do an outstanding job as our coach; and I’m sure she’s pulling for Coach Lawson (has a nice sound to it, huh?) for all the right reasons.

I plan to whole-heartedly support Kellie as head coach of the Lady Vols. While this news about Kara indeed gets the mind imagining contingency plans down the line, she will likely have men's programs trying to snatch her up once she's ready. The LVs might not ever get the chance (which bodes great for Kara).

Picture Kara and Sue Bird as the Tennessee and UConn men's head coaches!

Kellie was ready for this, Kara wasn't.
Kellie has coached NCAA ball so she isn't going to have to learn on the fly.

Kellie doesn't have to watch out in her a rear-view mirror,,,she has to reach up and yank that mirror off and toss it in the backseat....What's behind is behind you is behind you,,, the only way to keep it that way is to concentrate on what's ahead of you.

Reactions: MAD
Once you've coached NBA players, how could you ever be happy coaching in the women's college game? Goodbye hair problems, uniform problems, weird-parent problems, poor-conditioning problems, recruiting problems & NCAA problems. Congratulations, Kara Awesome!

Kellie was ready for this, Kara wasn't.
Kellie has coached NCAA ball so she isn't going to have to learn on the fly.

Kellie doesn't have to watch out in her a rear-view mirror,,,she has to reach up and yank that mirror off and toss it in the backseat....What's behind is behind you is behind you,,, the only way to keep it that way is to concentrate on what's ahead of you.

Agreed. While I would have been 100% confident in Kara's ability to teach and coach the game of basketball at Tennessee, there would most certainly have been a steep learning curve for her as far as dealing with all the off-the-court details -- and they are countless. She would have learned it all, eventually, but there's no way she could have come in and hit the floor running like Kellie has done with such ease and confidence. Kellie herself admits that her early years in coaching had their share of mistakes due to lack of experience in management, but now (thankfully) she's a seasoned pro.

Kara will be able to focus 100% on players and their performances and developing strategies to help them win more games.

It’s laughable that some of us are saying she better start winning. She hasn’t even coached a game or had a signing class lol. It’s going to take some time for Kellie to get us back on top. Great for Kara though!

Reactions: krichunaka
Once you've coached NBA players, how could you ever be happy coaching in the women's college game? Goodbye hair problems, uniform problems, weird-parent problems, poor-conditioning problems, recruiting problems & NCAA problems. Congratulations, Kara Awesome!

Oh, how I've missed reading your posts. :)

When I heard the news today the thought crossed my mind that I could actually see Kara eventually leapfrogging both Hammon and Gottlieb to become the first female head coach in the NBA. People have been impressed by her knowledge for many years and were probably hoping that one day she’d show an interest in coaching so they could scoop her up before anyone else does. Well, she DID catch the coaching bug in the past few years with USA Basketball, and that’s apparently all it took! I’m so happy for her!

I am too. It has been obvious throughout her media career she has the brains for it. And though I would have supported hiring her to coach the Lady Vols, her resume is thin without much coaching experience. If she does become the first female NBA coach, that might end up being a better future for her. With the right owner....I mean governor, she might be awesome at it.

Reactions: lvocd

Now she will have to worry about controlling and directing superstar egomaniacs like LeBron, Durant, and a whole host of others. At least with this route, she is in a position to make history. Hope she does.

Now she will have to worry about controlling and directing superstar egomaniacs like LeBron, Durant, and a whole host of others. At least with this route, she is in a position to make history. Hope she does.

LeBron & Durant? These are happy problems!

The NBA is making a point of looking at women as coaching positions come open, else Becky & Kara may never have had these opportunities. The players seem to be all for it. I know they will continue to produce, and maybe they will cause the college men's game to also add female coaches to its toolbox.

You can have a great meal at a restaurant and then find $20 lying on the street the next day and you know, these two good events are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. Similarly, it is great that Kellie Harper is the LVs new head coach and it is great that Kara is breaking the glass ceiling in the NBA but they are unrelated events. Kellie's clock is not ticking faster because of Kara and Kara is NOT waiting in the wings to become the next LV head coach. These are completely different career paths.

Last edited:
You can have a great meal at a restaurant and then a find $20 lying on the street the next day and you know, these two good events are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. Similarly, it is great that Kellie Harper is the LVs new head coach and it is great that Kara is breaking the glass ceiling in the NBA but they are unrelated events. Kellie's clock is not ticking faster because of Kara and Kara is NOT waiting in the wings to become the next LV head coach. These are completely different career paths.
You are right on point, as usual, but it is highly entertaining reading the absurd conclusions some folks state on this forum.

You can have a great meal at a restaurant and then a find $20 lying on the street the next day and you know, these two good events are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. Similarly, it is great that Kellie Harper is the LVs new head coach and it is great that Kara is breaking the glass ceiling in the NBA but they are unrelated events. Kellie's clock is not ticking faster because of Kara and Kara is NOT waiting in the wings to become the next LV head coach. These are completely different career paths.

But just in case... where did you eat that night?

Last edited:
Haven't been able to confirm this, but it's widely reported "on the interweb" that there is no limit to how many assistant coaches an NBA team can have. But there is a minimum salary, so each organization has to determine each assistant's overall value to the team.

Leading to this point: Kara's title may be assistant coach, but she could spend her time breaking down film, running metrics, anything that is of value to the team. I'm sure, though, that she explored all this in the interview process.

Part of the fiscal value to a team may be to simply ward off discrimination lawsuits. But again, I'm sure Kara would not be interested in a pony show job, but only something that would further her career options in the future.

I don't think we should expect to see Kara as one of the assistants allowed on the bench during game time. But if she is--that means she's bringing basketball value to the team.

But if the league votes to change the rule to allow 4 asst. coaches on the bench, then we'll have reason to believe this is an appeal to enlarge the NBA audience and improve corporate image.

NONETHELESS... these early adapting organizations will look for the best basketball return on investment, and the Celtics obviously see value in Kara Lawson.

Reactions: pimo1

But just in case... where did you eat that night?

Did it have a a portrait of Andrew Jackson on the face and the south view of the White House on the reverse. side,,,if it did, I lost one like that

Reactions: MAD
You have access to nba.com or TMZ? The NBA has those issues in bunches. Hell, you just described the Lakers.

Reactions: pimo1
Nothing against Lawson, but I doubt she will have any significant affect on the play of the Boston Celtics.

I wonder what Larry Bird thinks about the hire.

VN Store

Back