Kara Lawson emerges as a leading candidate for Duke job

From the Duke Board..."I have a friend who is a huge Vol booster...She told me back when they hired Kellie Harper that UT was a worse dumpster fire than Duke is now and the word among the boosters was that she declined to even be considered. " I tend to agree!!!

Reactions: savannahfan
Congrats Kara if it happens. You were my #1 selection to come back to UT but it didn't work out for some reason. Duke will be getting an outstanding basketball mind as there coach. I don't care if you never coached before, as that don't mean $h!t. I remember a legend from UT that you played for had never coached before either when she took over in Knoxville and we all know how that turned out. Plus I'm sure you learned a thing or three from her as well! Much respect for Kara and her career as she has been hugely successful at everything she's done and I have no doubt this would be no different at Duke if she is in fact hired.

#KaraLawson for Duke HC.

Ummmm USA basketball and the Boston Celtics are pretty significant coaching jobs.....imo.

She coached USA 3 on 3 and was an NBA assistant for less than a year. Neither are much to write home about and I certainly wouldn’t think they move her above other candidates who have run a successful collegiate level program. I love Kara as much as the next vol fan, but let’s not overstate her coaching achievements. If it comes down to her and someone like Walz her resume shouldn’t stand a chance. Any hiring over a candidate like that would be nothing more than a political statement IMO.

From the Duke Board..."I have a friend who is a huge Vol booster...She told me back when they hired Kellie Harper that UT was a worse dumpster fire than Duke is now and the word among the boosters was that she declined to even be considered. " I tend to agree!!!

Like the NY Times, I love Unnamed sources.

Neither did Pat Summit but how do you think she did?

This is a terrible argument. Women’s basketball barely existed when Pat started coaching. It certainly wasn’t anything close to the game we see today. For that we have Pat to thank. It was not at all uncommon for coaches to have little or no experience at that time.

Now it would be almost unheard of to see someone hired at a P5 school with no prior coaching success at the college level. The few times I can think of really haven’t gone very well.

Last edited:
This is a terrible argument. Women’s basketball barely existed when Pat started coaching. It certainly wasn’t anything close to the game we see today. For that we have Pat to thank. It wasn’t not at all uncommon for coaches to have little or no experience at that time.

Now it would be almost unheard of to see someone hired at a P5 school with no prior coaching success at the college level. The few times I can think of really haven’t gone very well.
Lindsay Whalen had no prior coaching success when Minnesota hired her and so far that had yielded mediocre results.

it’s definitely risky. Like Georgetown hiring Patrick Ewing. Great former player. Asst NBA Coach. Terrible college coach

Penny Hardaway.

Kara has a lot more going for her than these 2 examples, not the least of which is the prestige of Duke, but it's not an easy transition.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Per Michelle Smith and LaChina Robinson it's all but a done deal and the announcement should come soon.

As always, time will tell if it's a good hire. But I suspect if the right offer was made Kara would have taken the UT job. She certainly had support among fans and staff.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Let her go to Duke and get some experience. If she does a great job their and Kellie does not she will b ready to come home. If Kellie works out then we’re alright anyhow. Could be two chances To have a great coach.

Duke close to hiring Kara Lawson as women’s basketball coach

JULY 10, 2020 01:07 PM , UPDATED 1 HOUR 50 MINUTES AGO

Duke has targeted Kara Lawson to become its new women’s basketball coach and there’s hope a deal could be completed as soon as Friday, according to several sources with current or former ties to the university.

The sources requested anonymity because the negotiations are still ongoing. While the job has yet to be offered to Lawson, she emerged as the choice of the school’s administration this week.

Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca, who also is a Duke Board of Trustees member, supports Lawson’s hiring at the school, sources said.

The 39-year-old Lawson would replace Joanne P. McCallie, who resigned on July 2 after 13 years with the Blue Devils. McCallie stepped down after athletics director Kevin White opted not to extend her contract that was set to expire in June 2021.

Lawson joined Rice coach Tina Langley, a former Maryland assistant, as finalists for the job, sources said. Drake coach Jennie Baranczyk and former Duke all-ACC player Lindsey Harding, now a player development coach with the NBA’s Sacramento Kings, were also consideration.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article244129572.html

VN Store

Back