Kara Lawson can continue as UT Trustee

Why not make Kevin Steele the Athletic Director at Tennessee why he is DC for Auburn? If people can't see a conflict of having a coach at another school sit on the board you are blind. It isn't a matter of if they would do something. It is a matter of having a coach at another school involved in the athletic program at Tennessee period.

Let us make the charitable assumption that some people on this board have the slightest inkling of what the Board of Trustees do. For a refresher course—stultifyingly boring, if you ask me—try reading this: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Archives/Joint/committees/gov-opps/ed/University of Tennessee, Board of Trustees_Audit_2019.pdf

Once one has a minimal understanding of the responsibilities of a board member there are two obvious conclusions:

• rational acknowledgement that there is no real or potential conflict with a coaching job at an out-of-state institution that UT does not even consider a "peer institution", and accptance of the statement of the Board that it is forbidden from any involvement with the day-ro-day operations of any UT team (see page 192, final paragraph, http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Archives/Joint/committees/gov-opps/ed/University of Tennessee, Board of Trustees_Audit_2019.pdf)
• there will be some good folks who would rather practice xenophobic tribalism, and will not be dissuaded by any stinkin' facts.

Last edited:
I took your "politics" literally, meaning your political viewpoints. As such, I didn't consider nepotism/friendships political, In this situation.

Really? Man there is Politics in everything; and has been since forever. Nepotism not Politics? It's always been "Who You Know".

Just read where Kara could continue as trustee as far as Duke is concerned!! I would hope she would be shown the door ASAP. Do not want her near UT since she is pitching for the other team! JMHO as always!

It creates a conflict of interest that no self-respecting institution would allow --- which means UT would be fine with it.

It would also be an ethical lapse on Kara's part to try to keep both roles. She should know better, so I assume she will resign. A person cannot serve two masters, especially ones which compete against each other.

It has absolutely zero to do with whether you like her, or think her trustworthy.

Here’s an example: Let’s say hypothetically Nick Saban were a UT alumnus, on the Board of Trustees, while also being head coach at Alabama. I couldn’t see that sitting well with almost anyone involved. Even though there’s nothing to do with the AD, you run the risk of said coach from a rival school being on campus. Possible recruiting violations if said coach comes into contact with active players of UT while on campus. It’s just something that would not be in the best interest of the coach or the universities IMO.

Hummmmmm This assumes the coach in question is of questionable character. I guess this person could be on a board of trustees, but I would hope not.

in these tense time this thread has evolved around individuals' political bias.

my high school in Cincinnati is on local and now national news - removing the nickname - redskins. the opposition, the personal attacks on certain members of the School Board (not surprising women), including the elected male trustee. And to use a quote from the lengthy article, if I go back to Cincy and see an athlete in the grocery store I will not be able to say "GO SKINS!"

Here’s an example: Let’s say hypothetically Nick Saban were a UT alumnus, on the Board of Trustees, while also being head coach at Alabama. I couldn’t see that sitting well with almost anyone involved.

The situation you describe would never be allowed to happen in something important like men's football. If it happens with Kara here it will just be due to women's basketball not being considered relevant enough to matter.

The situation you describe would never be allowed to happen in something important like men's football. If it happens with Kara here it will just be due to women's basketball not being considered relevant enough to matter.
Seems a little discriminatory doesn’t it?

Hummmmmm This assumes the coach in question is of questionable character. I guess this person could be on a board of trustees, but I would hope not.
Sorry, my intention wasn’t trying to make it seem like they have bad character. More along the lines of bumping into a student athlete and having a normal conversation while on campus for a Board of Trustees meeting. It just doesn’t seem like that would sit well with UT in that situation. It’s a very delicate line but my main point is that if Kara Lawson accepted an SEC coaching position I would not feel comfortable with her still being on the Board of Trustees at UT. There’s just something uneasy about being a coach at a rival school in the same conference and still being involved at your alma mater.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

VN Store

Back