Juwan Howard Punches Wisconsin Asst Coach

He literally held him.. Howard was going to walk right past him. I don't care either way but Wisconsins coach isn't innocent here imo
There's still no justification for Howard to do what he did. I would have no problem if in response to Gard touching/moving his arm, Juwan did something similar back in response to him (like putting his hand on his shoulder and moving him away or something). He instantaneously lost whatever moral high ground he might have had when he reached over people and took a swipe at another coach.

There are even some calls, like from Kendrick Perkins, for Gard to be suspended. If Howard doesn't end up taking a swipe at the Wisconsin assistant, is there any discussion whatsoever of a suspension for Gard? That angle is an after-the-fact rationalization of Howard taking a swipe.

Innocence is a little subjective. Did he play a part? Well, sure. But Gard wasn't looking for fisticuffs and may have actually kept walking until Howard opened his mouth.

But Gard didn’t keep walking. Howard opening his mouth doesn’t give Gard permission to grab his arm.

Gard isn’t blameless, and Howard most certainly isn’t blameless.

Gard getting a slap on the wrist suspension makes sense.

If Howard isn’t fired he’s on strike two and a half with the world’s shortest leash.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
Juwan had a chance to display to all his players the right way to "stand up for yourself and not back down" but rather than use civilized tactics he chose to go cheap shot and physical. That $1K suit is the same as lipstick on a pig.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Innocence is a little subjective. Did he play a part? Well, sure. But Gard wasn't looking for fisticuffs and may have actually kept walking until Howard opened his mouth.

It's not subjective when he grabbed him to initiate the altercation.. agree he wasn't looking to fight Howard escalated the situation

The billy badass that ran up yelling and got bitchslapped is the one that needs to be fired.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
But Gard didn’t keep walking. Howard opening his mouth doesn’t give Gard permission to grab his arm.

Gard isn’t blameless, and Howard most certainly isn’t blameless.

Gard getting a slap on the wrist suspension makes sense.

If Howard isn’t fired he’s on strike two and a half with the world’s shortest leash.
When you shake hands you are grabbing someone. What Gard did doesn’t even register on the scale at all in this situation where a head coach slapped an opposing assistant. Maybe if Howard immediately responded to Gard with a slap that might hold water, but that wasn’t the case.

There's still no justification for Howard to do what he did. I would have no problem if in response to Gard touching/moving his arm, Juwan did something similar back in response to him (like putting his hand on his shoulder and moving him away or something). He instantaneously lost whatever moral high ground he might have had when he reached over people and took a swipe at another coach.

There are even some calls, like from Kendrick Perkins, for Gard to be suspended. If Howard doesn't end up taking a swipe at the Wisconsin assistant, is there any discussion whatsoever of a suspension for Gard? That angle is an after-the-fact rationalization of Howard taking a swipe.
Bingo

Reactions: feathersax
When you shake hands you are grabbing someone. What Gard did doesn’t even register on the scale at all in this situation where a head coach slapped an opposing assistant. Maybe if Howard immediately responded to Gard with a slap that might hold water, but that wasn’t the case.

That punk assistant instigated the bitchslap, don't know what he said but he was yelling loud enough to make him the center of attention. He does not run up and scream at the top of his lungs Howard doesn't bitchslap him.

He was never going to punch Gard.

But didn’t appear as if Howard had any intention of shaking Gard’s hand. When Howard said his peace and tried to keep it moving, Gard grabbed his arm and stopped his momentum.

Reactions: irish1485
That punk assistant instigated the bitchslap, don't know what he said but he was yelling loud enough to make him the center of attention. He does not run up and scream at the top of his lungs Howard doesn't bitchslap him.

He was never going to punch Gard.
Scream at the top of his lungs? Even if that were true, it’s still no excuse for what he did. He’s a grown man who should be capable of controlling his impulses.

But Howard had no intention of shaking Gard’s hand. When Howard said his peace and tried to keep it moving, Gard grabbed his arm and stopped his momentum.
I still don't see how that justifies or rationalizes, to any extent, what Howard did. Howard's overreaction to what Gard did takes away any moral high ground he had. Gard did the equivalent of rear-ending Howard going 1 mph while stuck in traffic. Yes - that's Gard's fault, it's annoying, he should have been paying attention instead of looking at his cell phone, etc. But Howard did the equivalent of getting out of his car and punched him in the face.

In response to that situation, would it be reasonable to say "Well, Gard isn't innocent because he bumped him?" I don't think so. I'm totally OK if Juwan nudged Gard away in the same manner that Gard tugged on his arm, but his response went way beyond that.

Scream at the top of his lungs? Even if that were true, it’s still no excuse for what he did. He’s a grown man who should be capable of controlling his impulses.
Don't disagree, he (punk assistant) should have controlled his impulses to advance the altercation. If he had not been involved Howard wouldn't have bitchslapped him

He may have started screaming like a biatch after he got got. Roll the tape and watch him yelling "he hit me" like he was a victim of a knock-out game

I still don't see how that justifies or rationalizes, to any extent, what Howard did. Howard's overreaction to what Gard did takes away any moral high ground he had. Gard did the equivalent of rear-ending Howard going 1 mph while stuck in traffic. Yes - that's Gard's fault, it's annoying, he should have been paying attention instead of looking at his cell phone, etc. But Howard did the equivalent of getting out of his car and punched him in the face.

In response to that situation, would it be reasonable to say "Well, Gard isn't innocent because he bumped him?" I don't think so. I'm totally OK if Juwan nudged Gard away in the same manner that Gard tugged on his arm, but his response went way beyond that.

I don’t disagree with you.

Howard’s reaction was disproportionate to the initial confrontation.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back