Justin Worley discussion (mega-merged)

I guess if you want to see nothing but three and outs. Defense would be wore out before half time.

Opposed to sacks, QB fumbles, ints, and QB injuries?

When we don't turn it over its 3 and out now.

I wouldn't advocate running the wildcat exclusively but the less we drop back (save the 2 second routes) the better right now.

Which is amazing that he made an NFL roster....... Poor college coaching? I

Some of it to be sure. Much of it was a porous OL... that improved over the season. Worley has been tougher mentally than Simms. Both guys got beat up. If Simms' first starts had been with the UT '10 OL that played at the end of the season... maybe he could have been effective. He became gun shy.

I like Worley... but there are some signs that he's getting gun shy too. A week off if that's all his injury requires could be the best thing in the world for him. He would return to face the SEC's 13th ranked pass D that is 10th in INT's and dead last in sacks- USCe followed by an open week.

Last edited:
This is perhaps the most overexaggerated thing to come out of these discussions. I said it was an extreme example... meaning that a coach that can coach can do a lot with talent that a coach who can't coach... cannot do. If Jones is still under .500 for his tenure after 3 years then it will be pretty obvious to many if not most that he's not cutting it. A 3 win season this year would leave a VERY steep climb in '15 for him to survive.

As long as they aren't being asked to transition to the Bear D or single wing O... The players are adaptable. As many have speculated, some of the players Jones has brought in might even play better in a more pro-style O.

Bama went through a series of 3 or 4 year coaches before finding a winner. LSU did too. UGA did. USCe did. Vandy did. Ole Miss did. TAM did. UK did.

Basically a guy has to prove he can win within the first 3 years or else he's pretty much proven he can't. I'm not talking about going from 5-7 to championships but rather from 5 wins to say 9. If you keep a coach that doesn't do this then program image declines and you stop getting the players you need to ever turn things around. At some point there... you leave a hole in recruiting just like the one that now plagues UT's roster.

UF fired Zook for several reasons but one of them was that he wasn't playing for championships and they knew it would hurt recruiting to keep an underperforming coach. He never had a losing record. He was a very good recruiter. But they recognized that the trajectory of their program because of his lack of ability to get it done on game day would hurt them.

If it comes to it which I hope it doesn't... I hope UT's AD has the same wisdom.

You are correct, a good coach can bring in success but since you are usually so detailed in facts the fact is the Auburn instance is not a matter of Malzahn being that great of a coach, it is more of an example of a good coach that has the right players to execute s system can easily take the next step.

Bama's vision is BS. Bama was desperate and Saban wanted out of Miami and the League plain and simple. But to your point, Zook, Dubose, and Shula, each had as you said three or four years which means AFTER next year is earliest even think about putting pressure on the coach.

Dobbs is going to make you eat those words.
No he won't. There is a reason he's no 3 behind Peterson on the depth chart and it does not have jack to do with him redshirting. He can't run as well as most seem to think and he can't hit the broadside of a barn if he had to. Even if he could run it wouldn't matter because bama will load the box and stop it. There will be no threat from the passing game. Just a bunch of three and outs and a dead tired defense.

He did WHAT??? When??

He did his part in his 4 starts last fall. He made mistakes but he produced too. Playing against 4 ranked teams in the last 5 games of '13, he completed 60% of his passes for 695 yds and rushed for another 189 yds while averaging just under 5 ypc including sacks. His downfall was turnovers. He threw 6 picks and fumbled a couple of times.

I don't hate Peterman at all. But he simply does not produce when given live PT. Dobbs has shown more to place faith in.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not a particular fan of either guy. When the debate about the QB "competition" was going on... I just paid attention to what was being done along with what was being said and concluded that Worley was that starter and that it wasn't close. For weeks, we had all kinds of banter... then after Worley was named several reporters came out and acknowledged that it had never really been as close as people thought.

What we know about Dobbs and Peterman is that Dobbs performed well when the lights came on last year. He made Fr mistakes but didn't lose his head. He showed some nice skills but made mistakes that you would expect a Fr to make... and especially playing with the WR's available to him last year.

Peterman has played twice in competitive situations. Both times he panicked and made very risky plays with the ball. Neither time was he particularly effective. Many have suggested that had Worley not missed the series that NP played vs UGA... UT would have won.

I love Worley's heart. I've always given him more credit for talent than most here. BUT there should not be that much of a drop off if Peterman is anywhere close to being ready to start.

You see a lot more in Dobbs than I have. I saw an athletic guy run around a good bit, fumble several snaps, throw several picks and score one legit TD via throwing. He did look pretty good in the O & W game. Idk

If Worley can't go, Peterman will start...rapidly fail and then we see Dobbs...every one's happy. :)

You are an awesome fan to pull for a player to fail so the one you got a mancrush on will come in and play. Please go pull for UF or Ala..Please

He did his part in his 4 starts last fall. He made mistakes but he produced too. Playing against 4 ranked teams in the last 5 games of '13, he completed 60% of his passes for 695 yds and rushed for another 189 yds while averaging just under 5 ypc including sacks. His downfall was turnovers. He threw 6 picks and fumbled a couple of times.

I don't hate Peterman at all. But he simply does not produce when given live PT. Dobbs has shown more to place faith in.
Sorry but Dobbs was wretched in the Vandy game.
He was all over the place in Fall camp.

Sorry but Dobbs was wretched in the Vandy game.
If Peterman had played with those stats... it would have been his best game as a Vol by a pretty wide margin.

He was all over the place in Fall camp.

Did you see just the media portions or the whole practices? From the media portions, most here were convinced that Worley was in a dead heat with Peterman and Dobbs for the starting job. As it turns out... it wasn't very close at all.

I don't have a personal preference... I'm just willing to look at what they've actually done in live action when they've gotten their chance.

Your TV must show different games that the ones I saw. The Dobbs I saw looked always to run first, took a lot sacks instead of throwing the ball away, had very little accuracy over 10-15 yards and showed no arm strength. Guess I had better talk to Uverse to see if I can get the alternate versions of games. Like yours much better. Did we produce a lot of points or win any games on your version? My version saw a QB play worse the end of the yr and had a half just like Peterman's when w played Vandy at home that was missing all their secondary starters bout halfway through. I would pay the extra fees to get the versions you get!

I am not a particular fan of either guy. When the debate about the QB "competition" was going on... I just paid attention to what was being done along with what was being said and concluded that Worley was that starter and that it wasn't close. For weeks, we had all kinds of banter... then after Worley was named several reporters came out and acknowledged that it had never really been as close as people thought.

What we know about Dobbs and Peterman is that Dobbs performed well when the lights came on last year. He made Fr mistakes but didn't lose his head. He showed some nice skills but made mistakes that you would expect a Fr to make... and especially playing with the WR's available to him last year.

Peterman has played twice in competitive situations. Both times he panicked and made very risky plays with the ball. Neither time was he particularly effective. Many have suggested that had Worley not missed the series that NP played vs UGA... UT would have won.

I love Worley's heart. I've always given him more credit for talent than most here. BUT there should not be that much of a drop off if Peterman is anywhere close to being ready to start.

What risky plays did Nate have vs UGA or Ole Miss. He didn't force anything vs Ole Miss since he tucked it and ran? He started UGA 3-3 in first series and Lane refused the ball on a hand off then Bajakian went to 5 step drop backs when quick passes worked. peterman has been far from a risk taker this year in his 8 minutes of play vs SEC teams

We've seen Dobbs for multi games.
I want to see Peterman for more that 2 quarters to make a decision.

For the record I thought he looked good in the Ga game when the plays were called to help him in the first drive.

Reactions: 2 people
If Peterman had played with those stats... it would have been his best game as a Vol by a pretty wide margin.

Did you see just the media portions or the whole practices? From the media portions, most here were convinced that Worley was in a dead heat with Peterman and Dobbs for the starting job. As it turns out... it wasn't very close at all.

I don't have a personal preference... I'm just willing to look at what they've actually done in live action when they've gotten their chance.

Against Vandy Dobbs had 53 passing yards, 23 rushing yards and 2 interceptions against a banged up defense missing EVERY secondary starter..Impressive!

We've seen Dobbs for multi games.
I want to see Peterman for more that 2 quarters to make a decision.

For the record I thought he looked good in the Ga game when the plays were called to help him in the first drive.

If the word is true he'll prolly get his shot tomorrow.

Ok get back to me after he's played the next 5 games. I don't think he will do great but I don't think Dobbs gets us to a bowl game. So let's get Nate a fair shot.

I don't know if either is the answer to a bowl.

From the sounds of it he'll get his shot. We'll see what he can do with it.

Just throwing this out there for thoughts, would we be better off burning Dobbs red shirt or take Pig n put him at QB? Was he not a high school QB? He knows the play book, he's moblie and fast, and if I remember right he has a good enough arm to throw short routes n balance the O. Thoughts?

Pig is our best WR so I wouldn't pull him to play QB. So far North and Croom have had forgettable seasons, Malone is inexperienced, Pearson is playing injured, and Smith is out.

I don't know if either is the answer to a bowl.

From the sounds of it he'll get his shot. We'll see what he can do with it.

Making a starting QB decision at UT is like asking would you rather be kicked in the balls or punched in the balls?

Uhhhhhhhh........hold on..........I'm thinking it over...........

VN Store

Back