Justin Powell leaving UT

And you may be right. His decision to transfer seems to indicate that he believes he has a case. I just don't agree with it. The precedent the NCAA is setting by granting him immediate eligibility seems to undermine the idea that they've already given everyone a free transfer. There will always be a reason that someone believes is justifiable. Covid-19, record inflation, gas prices affecting family or personal travel, etc.

How many players have that type of injury every year? Couple that with the altered eligibility rule (not simply the COVID as you’ve misinterpreted) and it’s a unique scenario. No harm in the NCAA doing something for the SA for once.

I’m not dressing up anything. He had a severe injury, received zero compensation while coaches and administrators made millions, and he deserves to be permitted go after an opportunity without those overpriced pencil pushers restricting his freedom of movement. They gave every other player an additional year of eligibility whether they played in 30 games or, in his case, 10.
He got that opportunity, though, and he transferred to Tennessee and was eligible to play immediately. Where do you draw the line? You're asking that he be given preferential treatment for an injury that occurred 18 months ago and didn't affect his ability to suit up for the entire season, last year.

We're just spinning our wheels. You aren't going to come down off that hill, and you've failed to change my opinion, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

He got that opportunity, though, and he transferred to Tennessee and was eligible to play immediately. Where do you draw the line? You're asking that he be given preferential treatment for an injury that occurred 18 months ago and didn't affect his ability to suit up for the entire season, last year.

We're just spinning our wheels. You aren't going to come down off that hill, and you've failed to change my opinion, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It could have certainly affected his ability to perform at an optimal level.

My “hill” is that I see no upside for the NCAA to force him to sit out this year and I’m guessing he will be suiting up. Unless he WANTS to take a year off.

Where do you draw the line on ANY appeal? If I kid uses moving close to home due to a family situation is it granted if they’re within 5 miles of campus? 25 miles? 50 miles? 100 miles?

It could have certainly affected his ability to perform at an optimal level.

My “hill” is that I see no upside for the NCAA to force him to sit out this year and I’m guessing he will be suiting up. Unless he WANTS to take a year off.

Where do you draw the line on ANY appeal? If I kid uses moving close to home due to a family situation is it granted if they’re within 5 miles of campus? 25 miles? 50 miles? 100 miles?
Using that logic, what upside exists for the NCAA forcing any kid to sit out, ever? They gain nothing from it yet they have created a set of rules and enforced them since their inception. This isn't an issue of morality or of our individual interpretation of what is right and wrong. They made the rules, they set the parameters. Powell’s request falls outside of those parameters. If they choose not to enforce them as written out of fear, then just get rid of the entire rulebook and organization.

Using that logic, what upside exists for the NCAA forcing any kid to sit out, ever? They gain nothing from it yet they have created a set of rules and enforced them since their inception. This isn't an issue of morality or of our individual interpretation of what is right and wrong. They made the rules, they set the parameters. Powell’s request falls outside of those parameters. If they choose not to enforce them as written out of fear, then just get rid of the entire rulebook and organization.

They can stop unlimited transfers. They can let anybody with a traumatic brain injury during global pandemic use up their one free transfer without worrying about lots of others following suit.

There would be no need to consider ANY appeal if every written rule was strictly enforced.

VN Store

Back