Justin Gainey has been hired as an assistant coach

Barnes gonna get left holding the bag .. no BIGS again this year .. same song and dance .. shoot a bunch of 3's ... miss a bunch of 3's .. no rebounders .. waste of a great point guard ..

I read somewhere Powell left due to the culture. Knowing Pearl, I could just imagine. Hard to believe Kessler would leave UNC culture for Auburn.

I guess that freelance on court offense is too much to pass up. Pearl allows creativity and undiscipline.

@bleedingTNorange said Kessler was likely returning to UNC, he seems to know what he’s talking about. UNC reached out to Aidoo about a week ago according to his Instagram, probably in the wake of at that time Kessler entering the portal. UT offered Aidoo a while ago

Of course he’ll return to UNC. Oops, I mean Auburn! Now UNC may go after Aidoo hard, and if he gets offered by them, I’m pretty sure they have him wrapped up.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Of course he’ll return to UNC. Oops, I mean Auburn! Now UNC may go after Aidoo hard, and if he gets offered by them, I’m pretty sure they have him wrapped up.
That’s kinda what I was thinking, with or without Kessler returning to UNC.
GBO!!

The addition of Aidoo was almost entirely the result of Barnes’ hiring of Justin Gainey from Marquette, where Aidoo was previously committed. That’s certainly not the reason for the hiring but it’s certainly a happy by-product for Tennessee.

Once Tennessee hired Gainey the Vols’ only competition was UNC and the Tar Heels botched their chances by cancelling a scheduled zoom call on Tuesday, presumably because they had incorrect information about his academic situation. That pushed him into the ready and willing arms of Tennessee.

The Vols closed the deal via a zoom call on Tuesday night that Gainey hosted in Knoxville and Barnes participated in in a car while being driven back from a speaking engagement in Kingsport.

Speaking of Gainey, we’re hearing that he could be a big hit. That’s not just about him closing the deal on Aidoo. It’s about what people are saying about the manner in which he conducts his business, interacts with others and presents himself.

We were told this week that Marquette athletic director Bill Scholl actually took the time to write a personal note to Danny White this week extolling Gainey’s virtues and telling White he was adding a real asset to his athletic department. That’s not the kind of thing you hear about happening every day.
-VQ

The one thing you cannot knock Barnes' for is his hiring of assistants. He continues to hit home run after home run. I hope it eventually leads to a championship, but Barnes' is at least giving us something exciting to look forward to year in and year out in Knoxville for basketball.

This right here.... as frustrated as we get with Barnes at times from the little nuances game to game, or the bigger things like SEC tourney, or early exits in NCAA. Which is/are all valid complaints.

But the fact that he has us...
- recruiting with the BLUE BLOODs, beating out some of CBB elite programs on players.
- Starting seasons with high expectations
-highly ranked every year
- nationally relevant
- beats UK consistently!!!!
- The Culture (I know such an overused word, but that’s arguably my favorite thing about this program, the hard nose, toughness, family first brotherhood environment)

So despite the negatives, he has took our program to a much higher level and sustained it. Next step is to make a deep run, and with these new transfer rules in place and how he can construct teams we have a better chance.

VN Store

Back