Just wanted to say I think Brian Rice is doing a GREAT job.

A bit off topic, but:
Does anybody have an update on Mickey D? I heard he had some health issues, but I haven’t heard anything since his last broadcast.
I like Brian Rice just fine, btw

Sorry, but I don't think Rice is a very good basketball announcer. I listened to highlights of his call of the Florida game, and he was too over-the-top with
most of his calls of Tennessee baskets. Too loud and too over-excited about every basket. A more seasoned play-by-play announcer would not be screaming all the time. It's fine to get excited occasionally, but you don't need to pretend that ever made basket is a game-winner.

Reactions: Nickid1975 and gule
A more seasoned play-by-play announcer would not be screaming all the time.
LOL the Mike Keith school of play by play. Keith's not only overly screechy, he's got that strange high pitched, strangled tone that makes it worse.

I don't see that in BR tho. IMO he's a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think Rice is a very good basketball announcer. I listened to highlights of his call of the Florida game, and he was too over-the-top with
most of his calls of Tennessee baskets. Too loud and too over-excited about every basket. A more seasoned play-by-play announcer would not be screaming all the time. It's fine to get excited occasionally, but you don't need to pretend that ever made basket is a game-winner.

Do you like anything?

I agree with turbovol. every basket doesn't have to be called like it's the best ever. calm down Brian and just let the game flow jmho

Reactions: turbovol
Like times a 1000

Don't start me on your /supposed/ basketball expertise...

As for Rice, I'm sure he'll be fine. He simply needs more experience calling basketball games. He got better and better calling softball over time, as he gained seasoning, and I'm sure the same will be the case with basketball.

[QUOTE="turbovol, post: 22272107, member: 85659]As for Rice, I'm sure he'll be fine. He simply needs more experience calling basketball games. He got better and better calling softball over time, as he gained seasoning, and I'm sure the same will be the case with basketball.[/QUOTE]I agree that Rice needs some seasoning, but he’s well on his way to a successful career if he can keep his nose clean. Strikes me as a centered enough dude. Checks into Volnation occasionally also…

Don't start me on your /supposed/ basketball expertise...

As for Rice, I'm sure he'll be fine. He simply needs more experience calling basketball games. He got better and better calling softball over time, as he gained seasoning, and I'm sure the same will be the case with basketball.
I agree that Rice needs some seasoning, but he’s well on his way to a successful career if he can keep his nose clean. Strikes me as a centered enough dude. Checks into Volnation occasionally also…

Funny you say that, I had an email and a tweet after Thursday's game that both said I wasn't excited enough during a few stretches of the game. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

Brian's Twitter feed is pretty funny sometimes too. He has a good sense of humor.

Kamera is the one whose voice really grates on me. She seems like a nice person, and I hope she is successful, but her voice puts me on edge. Not sure there is anything that can be done about that, and it is probably just me anyway. I guess every announcer's voice is disliked by someone.

Funny you say that, I had an email and a tweet after Thursday's game that both said I wasn't excited enough during a few stretches of the game. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

You're right about that my friend. It's true one can't please everyone. Thanks for the fine job you are doing. I love your call just as I did Mickey's.

VN Store

Back