Just listened to Heupels post game press conference.

After having a couple of hours to cool off and reflect (and bask in the absolute JOY of a Bama loss (at Bryant Denny even)), I am feeling like this was a team that just wasn’t mentally prepared to play. I am sure Heupel warned them against this mindset pre game; but I have the sense that some members of this team still think football excellence is something you can just „turn on“ like a light switch after kickoff. I am hoping this will be a wake-up call. You have to be dialed in and focused going into game day and we clearly were not. Heupel I am sure knows where the problems lie and will take the necessary steps to deal with them.
But yeah, this game does not give me the warm fuzzies going into Florida week.
45 minutes delay
Didn’t run through the T
Florida next week
A team that we know we will beat easily
They played lights out

Don’t read too much into last night’s practice.

I'll say this again, this was their biggest game of the year and had nothing to lose. This was the worst team we will play all year. Perfect storm for playing to the level of your opponent. Happens all the time. Not worried.

Since when do refs on the field decide to go look at a replay instead of it be called for from upstairs?

We better start playing with a sense of urgency. Joe has to make good throws and the wide receivers have to catch the ball. Our O-line can’t be out there half arse playing either. We better be ready every week from here on out, we have to be a more determined and more focused team. Sloppy play and penalties have to stop tonight! Defense didn’t play terrible but we allowed them to continue to many drives. Offensively we have to play tons better, we cannot afford sloppy play, it’s time to make plays and move the dadgum ball! Clean the crap up this week! Mic slammed to the dadgum ground! Get pissed!

^ These points, force me consider the ramifications Vs expected profits associated with long-term public-oriented NIL contracts / e.g. $ paid by corps for names images and likeness campaigns with yellow M meal-deals etc.

Let's just consider, near-future Student Athlete being in a marketing class studying the sales results of such marketing campaigns (of other, former student athletes).

I think so too. Given everything he’s done since he got here, I’ll trust CJH until there’s a reason not to.
He’s shown the ability to adjust. We are still a few years away from being where we need to be, but he’s done nothing short of a miracle considering how bad we became under Pruitt. This fan base needs to have faith in Heupel.

I'm not blaming the refs. We still won the game. BUT, did the refs make several calls that were absolutely wrong and that killed our momentum and/or took points that could have given the game a different narrative? Yes. That IMO was clearly targeting by their backup center. He launched and hit the shoulder/neck area. He should have been out and they would have had to stick in the 3rd string C. Was that a fumble that Beasley returned? Absolutely. The receiver CLEARLY had the ball and made an obvious football move. Their explanation was bullcrap. If that happens, it's a huge momentum shift and who knows what happens? I'm not a good enough student of the game to comment on the holding on the WRs, other than to say this is our 3rd year in this scheme and thats never been an issue until last night.

The PI on Hadden was horse crap too. He literally put his hands up and the ball was under thrown. Nothing he could have done.

So no the officials didn't make us lose, but this game could have been worse than what it was.

Austin Peay played like they had nothing to lose and their head coach will use Austin Peay as a stepping stone into a better job.
I was glad to finally see the chop block call. It calmed down their low blocks a bit.
I was afraid we would get someone hurt and then APSU would get blacklisted against playing for a payday.

Scotty Walden is a good coach and should get a break to move up a level soon. His players executed the classic clock strategy very well, and the players believe. A coach that makes players believe in the plan, the coaches, and their teammates is special.

Some of these FCS teams are better than people give them credit for too. My daughter and son in law are grads of Southern Illinois (he played football there) the team that drilled AP last week. Southern beat Northern Illinois yesterday (FBS). First win by a FCS team over an FBS this season. Northern is no powerhouse but still…. We were at the game yesterday and Southern has some darn good players.

Reactions: davethevol
I was glad to finally see the chop block call. It calmed down their low blocks a bit.
I was afraid we would get someone hurt and then APSU would get blacklisted against playing for a payday.

Scotty Walden is a good coach and should get a break to move up a level soon. His players executed the classic clock strategy very well, and the players believe. A coach that makes players believe in the plan, the coaches, and their teammates is special.
I was impressed with his coaching. You could tell his players love playing for him. Some of those players were dirty though, and it’s hard to tell if they were coached to do what they did or if it was just heat of the moment stuff. Akron played dirty last year too.

Guessing UT will lean on running game more amd keep the passing game simple. Florida will likely sellout to stop the run and force JM3 to beat them with his arm.

Crowd will be a factor there and it's a night game in the SEC. No easy task.

One thing in our favor is UTs defense. They'll be ready for this one.

Guessing UT will lean on running game more amd keep the passing game simple. Florida will likely sellout to stop the run and force JM3 to beat them with his arm.

Crowd will be a factor there and it's a night game in the SEC. No easy task.

One thing in our favor is UTs defense. They'll be ready for this one.
Joe will also have to be ready to use HIS legs a lot next week

I wonder how you can practice all week and play like this on Saturday ? Seems like this disconnect between QB's/receivers should surface in practice and get resolved. Maybe we got spoiled last year by Hooker & core making it look so easy
It should have been easy. Those first throws were ones that any of our QBs could have thrown (even Shuler) except that JM reverted to himself and made them more difficult (although catchable). The WRs aren’t used to that placement since he doesn’t throw them like that in practice. The play call was sound, the receivers were wide open, but execution was lacking. Equally baffling was that we completely went away from our typical offense after that. It worked, but mostly due to our better athletes.

VN Store

Back