Juneteenth

So you think the way someone posts on an internet message board is exactly how they are in real life? Are you really that obtuse?

No, of course not, but like I said, I only have one thing to go off.

However, I believe a closeted racist is more likely to be themselves on an anonymous message board than they are in most walks of life.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
The grass roots holiday carries importance in the black community. It was a community acknowledgment that the last of the slaves were told they were free.

For decades, black people have celebrated Juneteenth is small numbers. When I say small numbers, I mean even within the black community. Many black people did not celebrate and many did not even know about it. Each generation celebrated it less as we got further from the civil rights era. Typical when you think about it.

A staple was local merchandising and cookouts. It's possible in areas closer to Galveston they did community marches.

I worry it is more of a commercialized, political holiday for new chances for racial divides as much as anything. Two years ago it was made into another flashpoint after the death of repeat criminal George Floyd to help in political and racial division to excuse rioting and help elect Biden amid chaos.

Now you see white elite neo-liberals using it as a virtue signaling pulpit. In the next few years you can see them trying to lecture all of us on the importance of the holiday that they knew nothing about through 2019.

The truth is even the holiday doesn't bring black people together in a civil common cause because there is a problem within the community that leads to rampant crime against each other and those folks don't care what holiday it is. The police can't be accused. A political party can't be accused. This needs to cleaned up but it won't because the optics of the effort won't get votes and it would be an admission there are problems other than the superficial reasons. Just look at the calm reaction of Mayor Bowser in DC after weekend of violence and death erupted during the Juneteenth celebration. Compare that to her triggered reaction to George Floyd that did not even happen in her city and the painting of marxist blm logos. Heck look at the multiple cities this weekend that had problems during their marches/parades. You begin to have the picture painted.

The best years of Juneteenth might be the ones looked back on where it was grass roots instead of photo ops for knucklehead politicals for years to come and the proud day virtue signalers to feel good about themselves.

I like that it's a national holiday, but everytime we do this we fill the calendar up with holidays that waters down importance, ie see what has happened since Black History Month. When everything is a holiday then nothing is a holiday idea.
Lol just like kwaanza and pride month and breast cancer awareness month etc. it’s being used to market to a group of people for money and political reasons. Some just aren’t smart enough to realize it. It makes more sense to celebrate the actual ratification of the amendment

I object to any additional paid federal holidays.
Do the people who say this complain on those other days? And in any case, there are plenty of less important ones we can get rid of if the real concern is the economics.

Do the people who say this complain on those other days? And in any case, there are plenty of less important ones we can get rid of if the real concern is the economics.

I'm good with getting rid of Columbus Day, MLK Day, Washington's Birthday and Juneteenth. 7 paid holidays is enough, combine them if you have to.

Lol just like kwaanza and pride month and breast cancer awareness month etc. it’s being used to market to a group of people for money and political reasons. Some just aren’t smart enough to realize it. It makes more sense to celebrate the actual ratification of the amendment

Exhibit A - New Orleans just spent $7.2 million on a new virtue signaling ugly stature to celebrate

Reactions: Rickyvol77
The grass roots holiday carries importance in the black community. It was a community acknowledgment that the last of the slaves were told they were free.

For decades, black people have celebrated Juneteenth is small numbers. When I say small numbers, I mean even within the black community. Many black people did not celebrate and many did not even know about it. Each generation celebrated it less as we got further from the civil rights era. Typical when you think about it.

A staple was local merchandising and cookouts. It's possible in areas closer to Galveston they did community marches.

I worry it is more of a commercialized, political holiday for new chances for racial divides as much as anything. Two years ago it was made into another flashpoint after the death of repeat criminal George Floyd to help in political and racial division to excuse rioting and help elect Biden amid chaos.

Now you see white elite neo-liberals using it as a virtue signaling pulpit. In the next few years you can see them trying to lecture all of us on the importance of the holiday that they knew nothing about through 2019.

The truth is even the holiday doesn't bring black people together in a civil common cause because there is a problem within the community that leads to rampant crime against each other and those folks don't care what holiday it is. The police can't be accused. A political party can't be accused. This needs to cleaned up but it won't because the optics of the effort won't get votes and it would be an admission there are problems other than the superficial reasons. Just look at the calm reaction of Mayor Bowser in DC after weekend of violence and death erupted during the Juneteenth celebration. Compare that to her triggered reaction to George Floyd that did not even happen in her city and the painting of marxist blm logos. Heck look at the multiple cities this weekend that had problems during their marches/parades. You begin to have the picture painted.

The best years of Juneteenth might be the ones looked back on where it was grass roots instead of photo ops for knucklehead politicals for years to come and a proud day for virtue signalers to feel good about themselves.

I like that it's a national holiday, but everytime we do this we fill the calendar up with holidays that waters down importance, ie see what has happened since Black History Month. When everything is a holiday then nothing is a holiday idea.
I was living in Kemah TX during the summer of 1988 when I learned of the celebration, I thought it was pretty cool.

Exhibit A - New Orleans just spent $7.2 million on a new virtue signaling ugly stature to celebrate

A giant BLM afro pick statue is the appropriate memorial for a holiday about slavery being officially ended? There wasn't a single person that may have been better to memorialize than an inanimate object with the logo of a known fraudulent organization? Extreme cringe.

The best years of Juneteenth might be the ones looked back on where it was grass roots instead of photo ops for knucklehead politicals for years to come and a proud day for virtue signalers to feel good about themselves.

Great post. I don't agree 100% with every detail but it provides an understanding of your view through both a historical, grass roots lens and a current. politicized one.

Thanks for posting it.

This is next door to my favorite restaurant, Desi Vega's. I hope I get to see it when (if) McRib and I head down there in advance of the LSU / TN game.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Nice writeup. One disagreement. When you celebrate an event for one group of people, it sends a signal to all the rest. More division is something we could do without, so I really don't see much positive for celebrating holidays like this or months dedicated to minorities or diversities.

I would have loved another paid holiday in a summer month like this when I was working at 1st Tenn / 1st Horizon. Now, that I'm unemployed, it's just like any other day... without the paid part.

Reading back through some of the comments in this thread, also reminds me of the time a district manager asked me if I had any plans for "James Earl Ray Day." Obviously, speaking about the MLK holiday. I still can't believe I actually heard that at work... and from someone I respected too. Racial animus is as prevalent now, as it has ever been. It's just better hidden.

I would have loved another paid holiday in a summer month like this when I was working at 1st Tenn / 1st Horizon. Now, that I'm unemployed, it's just like any other day... without the paid part.

Reading back through some of the comments in this thread, also reminds me of the time a district manager asked me if I had any plans for "James Earl Ray Day." Obviously, speaking about the MLK holiday. I still can't believe I actually heard that at work... and from someone I respected too. Racial animus is as prevalent now, as it has ever been. It's just better hidden.

Takers love more holidays.

Looks like a real representative cross section of America opposed the bill.

With the shear amount of seriously troubling legislation they have to consider they waste time passing a resolution for yet another holiday. It means they are wasting time and tax payers dollars for further political capital down the road. Pathetic.

VN Store

Back