Votes: 293 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 96 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just another reason CFP needs fixing.
Just talking about the TN/Bama ranking situation, not the top 4 playoff
The basic stuff should be simple.
Both teams are 10-2 Head to head. TN beat Bama, how many points shouldn't matter. It should be a win is a win and a loss is a loss, TN should be ranked higher than Bama
But let's say TN didn't play Bama and bother are 10-2, next should teams in common. TN has the better W/L record there so TN should be ranked higher than Bama
Now if both were 10-2 and both TN and Bama both beat their teams in common then you can start looking at points, margin of victory, same if TN/Bama had 1 win and 1 loss to teams in common start looking at the points margin
All this we got beat bad by SC and that's why Bama should be ranked above us crap, shouldn't matter, SC is not a team we have played in common.
Too much subjectivity with how teams are ranked at this point
SoS should also be factored in but this ranking on feels and putting a team with the same record that lost to the other team and that team also had a better common teams played record is garbage

I dont think so. I know, i know head to head. UT won in a nailbiter at home. But that Carolina loss was just an embarassment. Bama doesnt have a loss anywhere near that bad on their record.
If the playoff committee goes by their criteria it is Tenn hands down. Shall see how they treat this deal. The "lying czar" will do his part before Tuesday night or trot his ass on every championship preview show to tout his mediocre bummer team.

Here’s ya another stat

Tuesday night there will be 5 ranked SEC teams (which includes TN and Bama)

TN played 4 and won 2 lost 2
Bama only played 2 and lost both

Reactions: UTwild82
The test is usually overall record, then if that is the same you look to head to head match up. The analysis ends in UTs favor right there. You don't ignore that and then find who has the worst loss when both had the same record and one beat the other head to head.

I think this would be true if the situation were reversed. If Bama had beaten us, there would be no discussion on this. However, I must say that our losses were much less "impressive" than theirs. Still, being an offense-oriented team, I would say that is typical. When the offense struggles, the score often becomes lopsided.

All things considered, it is like the Heistman contest, we always get excuses, but deep down, we know that it is all politics.

Have a look at the committee’s selection process, and then try to tell me how Alabama could possibly be ranked ahead of Tennessee.
View attachment 518878
This is pretty hard to argue with, but the committee has shown time and time again to go by "feel" (which is code for how do we get the most money). However, one issue we have is losing Hooker. At the end of the day, people are voting and while we win all of these "criteria" do you truly believe we beat Bama with Milton at QB? Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but I think it factors in.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
Have a look at the committee’s selection process, and then try to tell me how Alabama could possibly be ranked ahead of Tennessee.
View attachment 518878
Awesome piece of research and data you shared! And then there’s the bogus “style” points the CFP committee makes up; like we are in a synchronized swimming competition that will likely bite us!

We should but with Hendon out we definitlely wont
That should not enter into it. Plus we beat Vandy 56-0 with Milton at quarterback. But that is besides the point, it is not in the criteria for breaking a 2 team tie. People get injured all the time it’s part of football. You go by the games that are played not who is starting. If they follow their own guidelines we should be ahead of Bama. GBO

If the committee uses the criteria, they say they use - TN should be above Bama.

However, they have caved to public opinion since after the first ranking which is where they did use the criteria. So who knows what they are thinking and even if they are looking at the total body of work anymore.

This should not be about who has the least losses, though I can see giving undefeated teams a pass if they play in certain conferences.

I am going to be honest, with the loss of Hooker, I thought TN could struggle offensively against Vandy. They didn't - no they were not the passing machine from the prior games, but they found a way to exploit Vandy's weaknesses. And if Milton could have just connected on half those overthrows, the final tally would have been unreal without the team even trying to get style points.

The South Carolina game was an outlier - that should be obvious to everyone. And we are able to score with Milton - that too should be obvious.

That should not enter into it. Plus we beat Vandy 56-0 with Milton at quarterback. But that is besides the point, it is not in the criteria for breaking a 2 team tie. People get injured all the time it’s part of football. You go by the games that are played not who is starting. If they follow their own guidelines we should be ahead of Bama. GBO
No one hopes that is the case more than I do but I heard one of the committee members say it on an interview, the committee takes everything into consideration including the status of the team as it is now, losing a Heisman contending QB is a factor they will discuss like it or not, I dont want it to be that way either but there's no reason to stick our head in the sand and act like its not true. Also if it were a conference decision the tie breaker would matter but they dont use that to decide who gets in and who doesnt, they look at everything about the teams and make a decision on who they think is most deserving to be in the playoff based on multiple factors.

In a few years when there is no divisions Championship games will look different. If we were in that format this year Georgia and Tennessee would be having a rematch this weekend. It wouldn’t be Bama or LSU playing them it would be us. GBO!

No one hopes that is the case more than I do but I heard one of the committee members say it on an interview, the committee takes everything into consideration including the status of the team as it is now, losing a Heisman contending QB is a factor they will discuss like it or not, I dont want it to be that way either but there's no reason to stick our head in the sand and act like its not true. Also if it were a conference decision the tie breaker would matter but they dont use that to decide who gets in and who doesnt, they look at everything about the teams and make a decision on who they think is most deserving to be in the playoff based on multiple factors.
I am just stating what their committee states as protocols on determining a 2 team tiebreaker. I have no illusions but if your going to have protocols written down you should either go by them or take them out of protocols. Letting a injured player play into it gets you into splitting hair process. You should go by the games, and Vandy or not we put up 56 with Milton. And come bowl season we will prove we can still score with the best of them. Again I am just saying what their own hand written criteria states. I am not predicting it goes that way. We will prove ourself no matter who we play. GBO!!!!

I’m still waiting for those naysayers who are defending Bama’s ranking, to tell me what is their most impressive win of the year?

I am just stating what their committee states as protocols on determining a 2 team tiebreaker. I have no illusions but if your going to have protocols written down you should either go by them or take them out of protocols. Letting a injured player play into it gets you into splitting hair process. You should go by the games, and Vandy or not we put up 56 with Milton. And come bowl season we will prove we can still score with the best of them. Again I am just saying what their own hand written criteria states. I am not predicting it goes that way. We will prove ourself no matter who we play. GBO!!!!
I understand and I am just saying what I heard, again I hope you are right and I am wrong, I would love to come in ahead of Alabama because I do believe there is a fair chance No. 6 gets in.

Should we, Yes, will we, No. The committee and the media are helbent on forcing Bama into the playoff at all costs. I wouldn’t put it past them to do an “emergency meeting” to institute a playin game between Bama and OSU if only one of TCU or USC lose this week.
It’s rigged system and that’s exactly what they wanted when they gave us the current “playoff” which is glorified bowl plus one. An 8 team playoff should’ve been the minimum but since we don’t get a say they protected their control and gave us a joke of a plus one and called it a playoff.

This will be the biggest crock of sh*t in college football history if somehow Bama gets into the play offs.

Absolutely no way should they get in with two losses but with Saban still coaching, I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see the committee sneak them in.

Reactions: Volbrando
Yes - Bama could just as easily be 8-4 as they could be 12-0.

I think the committee is probably hoping that UGA, UM, TCU and USC all win on Saturday to make it easier for them. One or more of those teams lose - they have decisions to make.

Reactions: Volbrando
This will be the biggest crock of sh*t in college football history if somehow Bama gets into the play offs.

Absolutely no way should they get in with two losses but with Saban still coaching, I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see the committee sneak them in.
They are probably the most likely 2 loss team to get in if one does actually get in. Not that big of a stretch.

So since I know that TN doesn't really have a shot at this point for the top 4, I would love to see all of them lose and lose significantly. If that were to happen anything can happen. And they will have to explain their reasoning.

They will get in before we do and the committee will drop us this next week to make sure. They will probably go out of their way to make Penn St leap us even though they have lost the only 2 games the played a decent team.
The committee wants Bama or OSU or both in and they will try as hard as possible, including a media campaign to sell it and make it happen

VN Store

Back