'20 JUCO SDE DeAndre Butler (Auburn commit)

No he isn’t. Is he our best LB? Probably. But that’s not saying much. Would banks start for say Kentucky? No he would not. Vandy? Probably. Missouri? Likely. Bama? UGA? UF? TAMU? LSU? Arky? MSU? SC? OM? Not a chance.
He's a solid middle of the SEC starting LB that has only continued to improve.

The dude was really good by the end of the year and it was his job to clean up everybody else's mess all year. He'd maybe look even better when he doesn't have to do everything.

A lot of y’all keep talking about moving Baron “inside.” But I believe the plan is just to flip him to the other (strong side) DE. A DT needs to be 290+ and Baron is 260 right now. He’s not going to put on 30 lbs. I think he can add 10 lbs of good weight, though. Plus, we have some returning talent at DT, but no experience at SDE since Blakely and Tremblay are leaving.

I really like the idea and am hopeful that SDE will better suit him than LEO.
Completely agree. Makes too much sense. As solid as the two departees were, Baron should be an upgrade.

A lot of y’all keep talking about moving Baron “inside.” But I believe the plan is just to flip him to the other (strong side) DE. A DT needs to be 290+ and Baron is 260 right now. He’s not going to put on 30 lbs. I think he can add 10 lbs of good weight, though. Plus, we have some returning talent at DT, but no experience at SDE since Blakely and Tremblay are leaving.

Agree - I think our starting DL is probably Baron or Bumphus/Big O/Simmons/Young

Reactions: doublej

I could be wrong but I believe one of the VQ mods said recently that Baron told them he was going to move inside.

I could be wrong but I believe one of the VQ mods said recently that Baron told them he was going to move inside.
I feel like “defensive tackle” gets a little confused, I still don’t quite understand everyone’s position/where they should or are playing. But I think the transition is a move from standing up on the outside to hand in the dirt like what Blakley or Bumphus would play

Look for Eason to make the transition to DT as well.

If Eason moves to DT, then we don’t have any SDEs. Maybe when they say “inside,” they’re including the 3 non-LEO DL positions? I don’t know why you’d move all your SDEs to DT when you already have 5 or 6 experienced DTs and no SDEs. I mean, right now, the only bodies at SDE are Baron (assuming he moves there), Eason, Bell (who just moved there and is rumored to be leaving), and West. Maybe Bailey or Bumphus, although they’re more DTs than the guys we’re talking about moving “inside.”

So I have to think the SDE position is being included in the term “inside” the way it’s being used.

You're correct. I should've said transitioning from LB to DL rather than DT.

In a 3-4 base, it doesn't matter quite as much, but fair point and good catch.

I’m not sure I saw Tennessee in a true 34 last year, but I think UT did run some 3-3-5. Your point remains, though…with a 3 man line, it doesn’t matter much. Hell, even with a 4 man line, I think the LEO is the real outlier, size-wise and the other 3 are pretty similar in stature in today’s defenses.

He needs to with his slow self. Plus Baron has great gap assignment technique so it actually makes sense. Plus gives you a slightly faster body on the inside than you normally would have.

Plus if that’s true he can put on a little more weight instead of having to watch what he eats like he had to do this year. Kids naturally heavier.

He needs to with his slow self. Plus Baron has great gap assignment technique so it actually makes sense. Plus gives you a slightly faster body on the inside than you normally would have.

Plus if that’s true he can put on a little more weight instead of having to watch what he eats like he had to do this year. Kids naturally heavier.

So there’s a lot of pluses with the move.
1642163566558.gif

No he isn’t. Is he our best LB? Probably. But that’s not saying much. Would banks start for say Kentucky? No he would not. Vandy? Probably. Missouri? Likely. Bama? UGA? UF? TAMU? LSU? Arky? MSU? SC? OM? Not a chance.
OM? MSU, SC? Let’s slow down there. Definitely with OM!

Reactions: volnut1

You realize that Banks had the second most tackles in the SEC? 7th in the country. It's ridiculous that you would think he's not worthy of terrible defenses like UF, OM, LSU, MSU, and SC this year.

Defenses don't even have every down LBers anymore at places like Alabama and Georgia, that's why you see so many Alabama "starters" transferring out this year. Banks is phenomenal against the run. He just isn't as great in coverage on obvious passing situations.

To be fair to him though, we don't have the depth to take him off the field on obvious passing downs and he's gassed by the end of the game.

You realize that Banks had the second most tackles in the SEC? 7th in the country. It's ridiculous that you would think he's not worthy of terrible defenses like UF, OM, LSU, MSU, and SC this year.

Defenses don't even have every down LBers anymore at places like Alabama and Georgia, that's why you see so many Alabama "starters" transferring out this year. Banks is phenomenal against the run. He just isn't as great in coverage on obvious passing situations.

To be fair to him though, we don't have the depth to take him off the field on obvious passing downs and he's gassed by the end of the game.

You realize that if I attempted 1000 3 pointers and Steph Curry attempted 50, that I could make more than him. I’m not a better shooter than Steph Curry. I don’t think Banks is a bad player by any means, but these numbers are skewed.

You realize that if I attempted 1000 3 pointers and Steph Curry attempted 50, that I could make more than him. I’m not a better shooter than Steph Curry. I don’t think Banks is a bad player by any means, but these numbers are skewed.

You're exactly right, except that PFF still rated Banks as the 68th best LB in the country when that skew you're talking about should hurt his grade instead of help. Kind of like how Steph Curry is going to hit 20 three's and I'd be lucky to hit 250.

I mean, he rated better than every LB on MSU, UK, USC, Arky, LSU, and Auburn.

UGA, OM, Missouri, Vanderbilt, and Texas A&M only have one LB that was rated higher than him, and those LBers aren't all playing his position.

To say he wouldn't crack the depth chart when he's option 1A or 1B on 12 teams in the SEC, is just a riot.

Only Florida and Alabama had higher rated LBers.

You're exactly right, except that PFF still rated Banks as the 68th best LB in the country when that skew you're talking about should hurt his grade instead of help. Kind of like how Steph Curry is going to hit 20 three's and I'd be lucky to hit 250.

UGA, OM, Missouri, Vanderbilt, and Texas A&M only have one LB that was rated higher than him, and those LBers aren't all playing his position.

To say he wouldn't crack the depth chart when he's option 1A or 1B on 12 teams in the SEC, is just a riot.

Yeah I’m in no way saying he’s a bad player. I’m just more interested in the other metrics besides number of tackles.

Reactions: Frankwillie87
Yeah I’m in no way saying he’s a bad player. I’m just more interested in the other metrics besides number of tackles.
I agree with that, it's just the easiest stat to show someone who probably isn't watching the LBers every play on the coaches film cut.

You are crazy….. I would take Banks all day long and twice on sundays over Jacquesz Jones at Kentucky…. People always underrate our own players while thinking they are better on other teams.

Banks improved but this just hurts my brain. I don’t really give a damn what PFF says, he isn’t great at this moment in his college career. He would struggle to get a starting position at most SEC schools. We’ve forgotten what good lbers look like apparently. I will say he greatly improved this year.

I don't know that I fully trust PFF's rating system, and I do know that I don't fully understand it. However, I believe it is as solid a metric as many others to look at the totality of a player's performance. I think the way their rankings are sometimes baffling to me sometimes aligns with how I am occasionally confused why the coaches continue to play a guy that keeps making mistakes. When they flip on the film, he may do the right thing 90% of the time, but the few times he doesn't, he gets burned. That is glaring to me as a viewer, because I'm not watching the boundary corner on plays when he's not targeted. He's not in the action of the play, so I don't care. Anyway, this is interesting information about Banks, and I think it does tend to coincide with the notion that while he may not be an All SEC player, he has made pretty great strides in the past year.

Reactions: Frankwillie87

VN Store

Back